Page 1 of 24 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

Default Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

OK. I have discussed this with Scott (and Dan) and we believe this will be a fun project. I hereby donate this mandolin to the Cafe and will serve as a sub-moderator over this thread. The object will be involve as many of our member luthiers and our equipment suppliers in a collaborative restoration of this instrument. When the instrument is finished it will be auctioned off here and the proceeds will all go to Mandolincafe.com. I will also provide some sort of signed label and a certificate will denote all of the participants and their part in the effort.

All members are invited to join in with discussion here of the various aspects of the project and participate in certain decisions that will be made during the course of time. Each luthier that participates will be asked to donate their time and/or materials and pay for shipping to the next luthier that chimes in "I would like to..do such.." It is hoped that the individual tasks can be broken down to where nobody would really be investing more than 2-4 hours of time plus shipping to the next volunteer.

The first task is for me to check a few things out on the mandolin so that there are no surprises later. Then we can proceed with determining the order of tasks. For example, I believe it will need a new rosette prior to a fingerboard. So, obviously the first task cannot be a fingerboard.

I also think it may be appropriate to throw historically correct restoration out the window and invite some modern taste and variety. For example, it is really a straight A, but I have routed the back for binding. At this point anything may go. I think this might be the first thing we discuss and decide.

Game On..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00667.jpg 
Views:	2163 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	45335  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

2. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post:

Default Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

I need to check the neck angle and verify the the top and back channels are the same. I believe the top channel needs to be recut (especially if we go with something other than a single piece of binding).

Please note that this is a composite mandolin. The neck and body are period correct, but not from the same mando

Name:	DSC00666.jpg 
Views:	1132 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	45336  
    www.f5journal.com

Part of the back

Name:	DSC00665.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	45337  
    www.f5journal.com

If it's going to be changed it might as well become a snakehead as well, my .02 worth.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

This will be a fun thread to watch. I've already subscribed to it. Radiused fretboard?
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

This has got to be one of the coolest threads/projects/ideas if I have seen here! With all of the collective braintrust in our resident luthiers and supplies from vendors and folks- this will be an awesome, very unique mandolin. Thanks Darryl!

Jeff Arey

Excellent and I look fwd to following this one. Darryl, will you or Scott be the overseer and arbiter of taste or is it the individual luthier's choice? In other words, might we see a paisley finished harp mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

unique purfling around the oval
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

If the rules keep the mandolin in it's current shape I don't have anything to ask for but, if you could change the neck, what about making a longer necked vintage Gibson oval hole! That would be interesting. Alternatively, what about a virzi?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Pickups, and a volume knob that goes to 11
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

13. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I would like to be involved, please let me know how I can help. Fingerboard? Staining? French polishing? Fretwork? Set up? Darryl, please send me an email to let me know what I can do. I would love to give a little back to the Mandolincafe.

Thanks,
    Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

So,If it isn't a restoration will it end up an old mandolin with new features or a new mandolin with some vintage parts? Are there certain parts or features that are pre determined to save? Could it end up an f holed mandolin for example with a new neck and raised fingerboard?

Gotta be a 12 fret oval hole so we can keep the vintage Gibson wood and design intact. Could be a radiused fingerboard, banjo frets, adjustable bridge, James tailpiece, and so on. Just my $.02...

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

I'd like to "give back" some as well! I'll volunteer for the fingerboard installation. I just did an A-jr. and have replaced the board on a Loar. After the rosette and neck installation, get it over to me and I'll hide glue a new board (bound?) on it! I think it should be a moderate radius. Darryl, you can e-mail me at knoxdude@charter.net

Lynn

Me too. Darryl, just let me know what I can help with.

I think a 16 inch radius works well on these since it's barely noticeable yet adds some playing comfort.

I like to know what the graduations are before proceeding with a project like this so we may want to consider that along with an internal inspection.

For Mike, I don't recommend a change from paddle head to snake head because that logo may not fit on a snake shape. Some of the early snakes had the holes through the logo and there were various changes to the logo attempting to get it to fit on the narrower peg head. The change would involve removing the overlay, plugging the holes, re-shaping, re-drilling and adding a new overlay with a smaller logo. The peg head looks to be in great shape so I wouldn't change it. But, if we want to do that I would be happy to take on that part or anything else I am asked to do.
    Last edited by Gail Hester; Aug-27-2009 at 2:07am.
    Gail Hester

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

This is a very interesting project!

Though I am no luthier, I would like to chime in with regards to the overall procedure. I think it might be overly interesting for all participants if a documentation of the restoration will be provided. There is the collaboration Zeidler archtop guitar that many a luthier worked on and that Stan Jay has/had for sale. This is the kind of documentation I am thinking of.

Aditionally I would like to see an "all hide glue" project.
    Olaf

Great project, Darryl.
    I was wondering why an A-Jr. or A-0, which would have no back binding or name on the peghead, had that peghead inlay until Darryl revealed that the neck and body are not from the same mandolin.
    Last edited by Fretbear; Aug-27-2009 at 3:58am.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I feel too inexperienced (and on the wrong side of the atlantic!) to help out with this, but for sure I wish you well, and will watch this with interest!

Regards, John.

Amazing idea. I will follow this thread with eager anticipation of what will happen next.

Yes, as Grassroot suggests, I intended for the participants to pictorially document things here. Since Gail would like to check things out before we proceed, why don't we select her as the first participant. She can then maybe correct a few things, or maybe do the rosette thing. Her choice.

I did check a few things out last night. The neck angle is a shade low, but workable. The binding route on the back is 3/16" high at the glue surface. The route on the top is 1/32" less at that surface. This could be corrected in the way the binding is scraped or by reducing the significant recurve in the back a shade. Just an observation, we will let the participants do their thing.

Thanks Lynn. I vote for the fingerboard. Will lKimball, let us know what you suggest. I will pack 'er up and send to Gail
    www.f5journal.com

still Lefty & French Philippe Bony's Avatar

What about a left handed one?
    (Sorry, couldn't resist!) Nice project indeed.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Wow, what a cool idea Darryl! This sure beats the hack outta watching America's Got Talent.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

It`s a great idea and I`m sure all of the builders a good at what they do but some have different idea about things like graduations and bracing so what if this mando gets sent to someone that doest agree with something that a person ahead of him/her did...I guess they will just have to accept it and do what they are assigned to do or have promised to do....I will keep close watch on how this progresses....Willie

Since this is a Cafe collaboration, would some visible acknowledgment of that be appropriate? Fingerboard inlay? headstock inlay? tailpiece engraving? incorporated in the sound hole rosette? I don't have any specific ideas about what the inlay would be or say.
    Scott