Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandobird to not wake the house

Default Re: Mandobird to not wake the house

try the bridge screws first. they are there for that.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Check nut slot height, too. Nuts are almost always cut too high out of the box. If the bridge position is right but fret one is sharp, and it gets better as you go up the neck, the action is too high at the nut.

For the nut slots, if you don't have very small files, you can use thin saw blade (and be VERY carefull), that's what I did, and it works well.
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Quote Originally Posted by Desnosfan View Post
    does anyone else notice that intonation is off a little on the first fret? How does one adjust the "bridge" on it?
    If bridge position is wrong, intonation should get worse as you go up the fingerboard. If you only notice this at the first fret, try what Schlegel said.

I pick around on my MandobirdVIII without an amp at night and l live in a divided QLDer style house with thin walls. The projection is enough without amplification most of the time, though if you want a simple way to have an electric sound with headpphone out put try one of these VOX amPlugs or something along the lines of a Mini-Twin - (blacktop is pictured) which is 9V battery powered and has headphone output. Mini-twin is also available as tweed and both Marshall and Orange both do similar amps. most music retailers should be able to supply one of these.

i like the VIII because it gives me the full mando feel, in a solid traveller instrument - i don't have to worry about damaging my good accoustic mando on weekends away at work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2414.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	45479  

Well, I filed down the nut a bit. Then I had to refile string groves into it. I think I am going to see if I can have it replaced completely, but since it is considered an "exotic" instrument in New England, I don't know if that's possible. If there is a luther on Mandolin Cafe, he or she could make a mint selling bone nuts for 4 string mandobirds. Other than that, I have to say I am really happy with it. It has a nice "swing" sound (great for seven chord progressions), but still feels right. I really enjoy playing it as much as my Kentucky and am getting a bit more finger strength from it.

takin it to the next level....

Don't you go screwin with my tone, now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2476.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	45505