Thread: New to Mandolin in Kansas (Wichita)

Smile New to Mandolin in Kansas (Wichita)

I've been trying to get back into mandolin playing again. I know its easier to pick up on things with others. I was wondering if there's any other newbies (or experienced players that would like to help people like me along) to the mandolin that would like to get together everyonce in a while. If you are new the mandolin or just looking for a group of beginners to jam with and learn off of each other, let me know...

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Mandolin in Kansas (Wichita)

There are a lot of very talented mandolin players in Wichita. I don't live there but I know many of them. Ken Sager is a new resident having just moved there from Salt Lake. He teaches if you're looking for an instructor. If you want to know how to get ahold of him contact me privately and I'll see about getting you his email. He hangs out here as well last I knew.

Welcome MandoMan74,

As Scott mentioned Ken Sager is giving lessons in Wichita and would be my first choice for an instructor. As far as getting together with others and jamming there are several options available but if you want to play bluegrass your best bet would be to get involved with the KBA. Here's a link to their website events page http://www.kansasbluegrass.org/events.html

As you can see there won't be a monthly jam on the first Saturday of Sep. because of the holiday weekend but if you want to jam then just head on down to Winfield and there will be lot's of KBA members and others to jam with. There also won't be a picking picnic on the 3rd weekend of Sep. due to the festival going on at Winfield but again you can jam all you want then.
    GVD

Hi, Send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk about lessons. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner but I haven't been hanging out here as much as I used to.

Thanks for the endorsements Scott & Mike.

All the best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

You'd have a tough time finding a nicer guy than Ken to learn from. An exellent musician, too. He even let me pick his fancy, west coast mandolin (very cool).
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan74 View Post
    I've been trying to get back into mandolin playing again. I know its easier to pick up on things with others. I was wondering if there's any other newbies (or experienced players that would like to help people like me along) to the mandolin that would like to get together everyonce in a while. If you are new the mandolin or just looking for a group of beginners to jam with and learn off of each other, let me know...
    Hi MandoMan, you might like to listen in to the jam session at Mead Coffee House downtown at Douglas and Emporia. We play on Monday evenings 7 to 9. There are several mandolin players and the music is good, but not bluegrass, rather, Celtic, Old time, Contra styles etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hedgecoke View Post
    Hi MandoMan, you might like to listen in to the jam session at Mead Coffee House downtown at Douglas and Emporia. We play on Monday evenings 7 to 9. There are several mandolin players and the music is good, but not bluegrass, rather, Celtic, Old time, Contra styles etc.
    This tread is NINE years old...Hopefully he found something in that time.

Welcome to the cafe'!