Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3 Guitars in Kentucky Thunder

Default Re: 3 Guitars in Kentucky Thunder

Okay, does anyone find the term "non-musician vocalist" a bit oxymoronic? I know what they're trying to say, a singer who doesn't play an instrument, but calling a good singer a "non-musician" seems a bit harsh. I think the definition of "musician" is

One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

"Especially" but not "exclusively."

And those SPBGMA rules: where's the spoons player? The accordionist? The guy with the harmonica? Andy Statman on the clarinet? Oh, the authoritarianism of the Bluegrass Taliban!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Also Andy Statman (or Boots Randolph) on sax?

Apparently (and thankfully) eliminated, along with the musical saw ...

What I find most troubling is the REQUIREMENT to have a banjo. Was that really necessary? Oh well, just have to grit your teeth ... and stand on the far side of the stage ...

All kidding aside, I surmise that in judging a band competition they want to be able to compare similar instrumentation as much as possible.

As to the vocalist issue: I guess they could have said "non-instrumentalist vocalist," but maybe that is a mulitsyllabic designation determined undesirable concerning difficulties in facilitating obviously discernible comprehension amongst prospective applicants.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I've only seen 1 bluegrass band with a non-instrument-playing vocalist; that would be Ronnie Bowman's Committee, and I believe the non-instrument-playing vocalist was Ronnie's wife. Gotta admit, she seemed to stand around a lot.

It's been years since I saw Ricky & KT back when their first album came out. It was at the Boulder County Fair with the smell of livestock flooding the dirt arena (I think he really liked it as he commented on it a few times). When he did the band intros he mentioned that the 'little guy wtih the big guitar' was also their bus driver and just so happened to have a killer tenor singing ability. Seems like good use of your staff to me...
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I've only seen 1 bluegrass band with a non-instrument-playing vocalist; that would be Ronnie Bowman's Committee, and I believe the non-instrument-playing vocalist was Ronnie's wife. Gotta admit, she seemed to stand around a lot.
    Then, there's Alecia Nugent...
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    As does Alecia Nugent...Melonie Cannon, ( I really like her new Cd) and Carrie Hassler..I think

Hell back when I had my own band we had electric bass as did most bands back in the 80's. When we played the SPBGMA gigs we always had to get our bass player to switch to upright...eventually they allowed at the time the acoustic electric basses..if I remember correctly. Now keep in mind that all the big name bands..The Doyles..the IIITO's....Osbornes..Seldom Scene's..Cardinals etc for the most part were even carrying electric basses and WINNING awards in their prospective catogories. That right their put a bad taste in my mouth...go figure. Please dont get me started on the SPBGMA rules. Ive grown out of touch with them for the most part so maybe things have changed.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...they're married, as well as a duo. They just figure that for booking purposes it's a lot easier this way than to say "Gillian Welch and David Rawlings."
    While it wouldn't surprise me, I have NEVER seen an official reference to the pair being married. Joined at the hip...yes. An amazing musical pairing..of course. But married? How do you know, or can you please provide a link?

Larry

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Answering my own question...I have found a couple of references on the web. Sorry for distracting with Gillian Welch gossip...end of hijack.

Larry

Blog Entries

Whew! Good. 'Cause I couldn't explain without namedropping, and I hate it when people overdo that ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D C Blood View Post
    I believe the third guitar spot vacated by Darrin Vincent is now held down by Ed Faris, formerly of The Faris Family from Kansas. Ed can play anything very well.
    Darin Vincent at least knows how to play bass fiddle, mandolin and guitar. My guess would be that he at least had a banjo in his hand a couple of times. And since he can pick the mandolin I wouldn´t be surprised if he could play the fiddle too. I wouldn´t know about the nose flute or the comb though. I almost forgot to mention that I like his singing.

allenhopkins Re: 3 Guitars in Kentucky Thunder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "non-musician vocalist" ... Oh, the authoritarianism of the Bluegrass Taliban!
    You crack me up.
    Olaf

...a mulitsyllabic designation determined undesirable concerning difficulties in facilitating obviously discernible comprehension amongst prospective applicants.
    Especially the banjo players, whose toleration for syllables probably stops at 2.5...

I still think they should come up with a better description of an instrument-less singer than "non-musician." Come to think of it, I've stood next to quite a few people with instruments that I'd call "non-musicians."

And -- probably been called that myself.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Darrin Vincent left KT back in late 2007 to form Dailey & Vincent and was not replaced. That left Cody Kilby on lead guitar and Paul Brewster on rhythm guitar. Andy Leftwich plays guitar on occasion, as does Ricky, but is mainly the fiddle player.

Leon

His choice of guitarists is based on the sound he wants...any of those three guys could fit any guitar bill you needed (lead, rhythm, and probably vocals, too), and I agree that Cody Kilby is a monster picker...

Interesting, too, that Andy Statman does a bit of mando picking, and I'd bet they all play at least 2 different instruments very well...

Alan, I'd fall into that category of "non-musician" regardless of which instrument I was holding...

Now, if we could just get Ricky to find a picker who doubles as a barber...
    (Just kidding, of course...I don't give a rip how his hair looks--hope that makes it through the filter!)

I've been less and less surprised in trying to learn songs (esp classic rock, country, and most stuff on the radio) how many times I kill myself trying to learn a fingerbusting combination of rhythm guitar and lead licks only to find out later there are actually 2 or 3 guys picking the parts...I guess that's why they call it a band...

Chuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ... Interesting, too, that Andy Statman does a bit of mando picking ...
    I keep forgetting that, because he's usually playing fiddle or sax. I think it's him playing mandolin in the three second glimpse one sees in the Garrison Keillor documetary, "The Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes."

Chuck
    remember the Ventures? we all tried to do it like them on our lone guitar. amazing that some of us got it close. was way easier to do Duane Eddy. which he confirmed many a time - "I don't record anything that my fans can't play." or something like that.
    funny thread. KT is a different kind of band. Ricky is unique. we need to live with it and enjoy him. he has done more good in a lifetime than most of us would dream of.

Blog Entries

I've always thought that if you are just playing I guess "standard old bluegrass" you only need one guitar, and just one of any other instrument except for the tones that twin fiddles can give. Hmmm, kinda like what Monroe had going.

Name's David Rawlings, real talent, genuine nice guy, and they're married, as well as a duo. They just figure that for booking purposes it's a lot easier this way than to say "Gillian Welch and David Rawlings." Same with Karen Savoca (and Pete Heitzman). People who know what's what know they'll both be there. Those who don't will have an easier time remembering just one name. That's their theory, anyway. Me, I like to see everyone get credit.
    These days they play under two monikers - "Gillian Welch" and "The David Rawlings Machine". In either case it is just the two of them, but the name indicates who is doing the lead singing. At the Newport Folk Festival last week, "Gillian Welch" played the main stage on Saturday, and "The David Rawlings Machine" played a secondary stage on Sunday. The repetoire also varies a good deal depending upon who is "leading" - the song "It's Too Easy" was the only overlap in the Newport sets. At one point during the Sunday show, Gillian joked about the difference in length between their respective songs, although each ended up performing about the same number of songs (12 vs. 13).

I always thought it should have been "Gillian Welch & David Rawlings", just because in concert it does come across as an equal partnership. But I guess this is another way to share the credit.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but that "dopey arch-top" is a Weber guitar.

http://www.soundtoearth.com/instruments.php?cat=9
    BRW #81
    Collings D1
    www.prairiesoul.net

What I find most troubling is the REQUIREMENT to have a banjo. Was that really necessary? Oh well, just have to grit your teeth ...
    Hey, at least you have some to grit, which is more than you can say for the banjo player.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    His choice of guitarists is based on the sound he wants...any of those three guys could fit any guitar bill you needed (lead, rhythm, and probably vocals, too), and I agree that Cody Kilby is a monster picker...

Interesting, too, that Andy Statman does a bit of mando picking, and I'd bet they all play at least 2 different instruments very well...

Alan, I'd fall into that category of "non-musician" regardless of which instrument I was holding...

Now, if we could just get Ricky to find a picker who doubles as a barber...
    (Just kidding, of course...I don't give a rip how his hair looks--hope that makes it through the filter!)

I've been less and less surprised in trying to learn songs (esp classic rock, country, and most stuff on the radio) how many times I kill myself trying to learn a fingerbusting combination of rhythm guitar and lead licks only to find out later there are actually 2 or 3 guys picking the parts...I guess that's why they call it a band...

I keep forgetting that, because he's usually playing fiddle or sax. I think it's him playing mandolin in the three second glimpse one sees in the Garrison Keillor documetary, "The Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes."
    Is there some mixing up of Andy's Statman and Leftwich? I'm confused as to how Andy Statman figures into a thread about Kentucky Thunder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    I've always thought that if you are just playing I guess "standard old bluegrass" you only need one guitar, and just one of any other instrument except for the tones that twin fiddles can give. Hmmm, kinda like what Monroe had going.
    Well, perhaps without the accordion.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Well, perhaps without the accordion.
    I was meaning the era of Flatt and Scruggs and beyond when Bill started incorporating twin fiddles in his music. In my opinion he did not really have "the Bluegrass sound until Flatt and Scruggs came aboard. What was before was experimintation, he was searching for the Bluegrass sound. When Lester and Earl came along, it clicked, everything aftrerwards was built on that,

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Is there some mixing up of Andy's Statman and Leftwich? I'm confused as to how Andy Statman figures into a thread about Kentucky Thunder.
    Andy Statman has made some guest appearances with KT.

journeybear, however, was thinking of Andy Stein.

But the Andy who's a regular in KT is Leftwich.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Andy Statman has made some guest appearances with KT.

journeybear, however, was thinking of Andy Stein.

But the Andy who's a regular in KT is Leftwich.
    Andy Statman with KT? Really? Seems an unlikely combination.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Andy Statman with KT? Really? Seems an unlikely combination.
    ...when Andy Statman brings his clarinet to the gentle, bright "Gallatin Rag" in a guest spot, the music ceases to be bluegrass or jazz or traditional or anything in particular, but emerges instead as a hybrid of everything at once.

-- Review of Skaggs' Instrumentals album
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM