Thread: Cool video: Power of the Pentatonic Scale

Default Cool video: Power of the Pentatonic Scale

Found this fascinating.

Big Muddy M-0W, AlanZ/DonK built Octave #1, Ovation MCS148, Martin Backpacker

Default Re: Cool video: Power of the Pentatonic Scale

Go figure!

Blog Entries

Must be nice to have a chance to sing with Bobby. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

If the Pentatonic Scale is hard wired into our brains, maybe there is still hope for suburbanites who want to play the blues!

Post Re: Cool video: Power of the Pentatonic Scale

I just do not get how what he did in anyway can be considered a representation of the pentatonic scale. Now of course I know that I'm wrong and that Mr. Mcferrin and many other members here are far more knowledgable in music theory than myself I don't dispute that but help me understand how spending 90 % of a demonstration on 4 (it seems) consecutive notes illustrates a pentatonic scale. It just looked like he started on C went to D, then E and back to B he spent on good deal of time on those four positions and then hopped four notes to the bass side and 4 notes to the treble side I guess goofing around. At what point was a 5 note pentatonic scale being demonstrated. I.E ( C, D, E, G, and A ) it just looked to me like he was playing around with 12 consecutive notes. I guess it more illustrated to me how the language of the major scale spanning almost two octaves is universal. I'm I missing something or just taking a fun little demo too seriously.

Mandodan1960

The three notes he started with were the 3, 4, and 5. He didn't actually touch the tonic until much later in the demonstration.
    Gold Tone GM110
    Eastman MD504
    Soares'y Reso-Tenor (gdae)
    Mandobird
    Sherwood Octave
    LITM Contrabass Balalaika

So he basically focused on three notes 3,4 and 5 and visited a fourth note 1(tonic) later.
    I'm still confused how that demonstrates a pentatonic scale. Is it safe to say that it really didn't demonstrate much of anything.

He most certainly did demonstrate the pentatonic scale.

He started with 1 2 & 3 and then went down to 6 eventually using 1,2,3,5,6 and their octaves.

Listen again more carefully.

Jim! You're back! I missed you! I'm not kidding!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dalton View Post

He started with 1 2 & 3 and then went down to 6 eventually using 1,2,3,5,6 and their octaves.

That is what I got too.

The point is the notes that the audience just got without him giving the musica cue.

I wonder if he had done that demonstration to an isolate community totaly unfamiliar with western music. It is hard to find such communities anymore, and so the question is still kind of open as to whether folks are acculturated to hear those intervals, or if there is something fundamental about them and the human brain.

I have seen some tests with an osciallator in which totally unmusical folks were able to correctly pick out the pentatonic scale. But again, they were all westerners who had already been exposed to hundreds of hours of jingles and commercials and movie music.

Everything you ever hear affects how you hear.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

very cool!

great video..thanks, Alan!

And he didn't use a capo <s>
    Big Muddy M-0W, AlanZ/DonK built Octave #1, Ovation MCS148, Martin Backpacker

[QUOTE=JeffD;695093]
    I wonder if he had done that demonstration to an isolate community totaly unfamiliar with western music. It is hard to find such communities anymore, and so the question is still kind of open as to whether folks are acculturated to hear those intervals, or if there is something fundamental about them and the human brain.
    QUOTE]

But much non-western music is based on the pentatonic scale too.

Especially in East Asia, it is ubiquitous.

Even in a "scale-rich" society like India -- some of the ragas are quite pentatonic

There's no context here, but there's no suggestion that he was trying to say there is anything "innate" about the pentatonic scale. All we saw was that he said it was all about expectations - then he taught people what to expect and their brains supplied the expected notes. I imagine this same trick would work with all kinds of different scales.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I think the interesting thing here is when he got away from the notes he had taught and people followed him to notes three positions both lower and higher along the pentatonic scale (as JeffD pointed out), not the chromatic scale. He says that people everywhere get this, but he doesn't specify where. Still, I assume he means around the world, as he has indeed circled the globe numerous times. But as JeffD also rightly states, "Everything you ever hear affects how you hear," and I can attest that here in America I have been swamped with the pentatonic scale for a lifetime. So far ...

So whether this is the result of something innate or something learned from experience is anyone's guess - unless one finds a completely isolated culture. To me, its prevalence in so many cultures does seem to imply there is something people are born with that they respond to. Don't forget, Tarzan grew up apart from people and he used the pentatonic scale.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

In case anyone's confused about this - he started with 1,2,3 of the MAJOR pentatonic scale (C, D, E), or 3,4,5 of the MINOR pentatonic scale (C, D, E if working out of A minor).
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

--
    Last edited by Jim Dalton; Jul-30-2009 at 6:44pm. Reason: self-edited -- decided not to post

--

Blog Entries

[]

But much non-western music is based on the pentatonic scale too.
    I knew that some non-western music uses the pentatonic scale, but I wasn't aware how ubiquitous it was. So there you go - further indications that there is something hardwired in us about pentatonics.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Keith

I'm just making up stuff right now, but I wonder if the spiral shape of the cochlea resonates similarly to the pentatonic scale. If the Fibonacci Sequence repeats itself so often in nature, maybe the snail-like spirals are on a resonance pattern similar to 1,3,5, etc...

Here's a picture. The cochlea is the part of the inner ear that looks like a snail shell and has hairs suspended in a jelly that translates the motions of the eardrum to neural stimulations. Could blowing into the cochlea make resonances at the pentatonic scale? I know that with trombones (the only wind instrument that I played), w/ the slide all the way up, the natural notes played are Bb, F, D, and Eb (all part of the Bb pentatonic).

I really don't know too much, but it seems like it isn't entirely coincidental.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI_Anatomy.bmp 
Views:	151 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	44805  

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by AZStu View Post
    If the Pentatonic Scale is hard wired into our brains, maybe there is still hope for suburbanites who want to play the blues!
    I guess Rap constitutes some kind of short circuit.....
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

I blame it on Rodgers & Hammerstein, and Jully Andrews:
    "Doe, a deer. A female deer. Ray. A drop of golden Sun. etc. etc. "

Sound of Music was released in 1965. 3.3 billion people in the world at the time. Global population has since doubled to around 6.6 billion people as of 2008. My theory poses the 3.3 billion born since plus the 3.3 billion alive at the time of release have all seen the movie or heard the song at least once. I think it quite plausable. Even cultures with odd musical scales still have radio and movies since the 20's. Primative cultures may not, but still represent the smallest part of global population.

Fun to think about

Either way, Bobby McFerrin is a clever fellow. He made the last PBS special great.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I blame it on Rodgers & Hammerstein, and Jully Andrews:
    "Doe, a deer. A female deer. Ray. A drop of golden Sun. etc. etc. "
    That would certainly teach the major scale.