Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite electric mandolin solos?

Default Re: Your favorite electric mandolin solos?

Also, compared to some of the Bob Wills stuff, the quality of the Billy Jack Wills recordings are really good, at least the couple of albums I have.

-Darren Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by pglasse View Post
    Re: Tiny Moore's great playing...

If you haven't heard Tiny's playing (and arranging) with the Billy Jack Wills band it's really worth searching out. Bob's little brother had a great band that was way ahead of it's time. Tiny told me that was the best group he ever played with. Tiny was the bandleader/arranger and was all over that stuff -- really wonderful playing.

Paul Glasse
    Austin, Texas

Tiny w/ Billy Jack Wills Band is just outstanding! I've got an old LP & I love it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, by that time w/ Billy Jack, Tiny was on the 5-String, where as during his Bob Wills tenure he was still playing the Gibson only using 4. On the cover of my Billy Jack LP he's got the Bigsby 5.

The Bigsby was built in 1952.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hi Folks - I've read this forum as a nonmember for a while now, but just had to respond to this thread.

Ditto to all the Paul Glasse electric stuff (especially Talk that Talk on his Road to Home album).

Ditto to all the Tiny Moore stuff.

I also wanted to throw this out there: Johnny Gimble's Still Fiddlin' Around record has got a couple killer electric mando tracks on them. Especially the tune Mandolopin'. It's got some more of those trademark Gimble diminished runs, and is a really cool composition as well. Recommended to me by the one and only Mr. Glasse himself, so you know it's a good one.

Smile Re: Your favorite electric mandolin solos?

Try listening to Randy Elmore if you get a chance. He has worked with Johnny Gmible for twenty years and is quite inventive. Mandolin is tunned like Johnny's with a "tunomatic" bridge set for four strings. Ricardo

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danbui View Post
    Hi Folks - I've read this forum as a nonmember for a while now, but just had to respond to this thread.
    Welcome aboard, don't be shy!

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra