Thread: Pickup Wiring suggestions

Default Pickup Wiring suggestions

Okay... did a search and came with not much. I guess I can go to pickup makers and get some ideas on wiring, but I want to ask this question to those who do a lot of mods to their electronics. I would like to hear what folks have come up with in terms of electronics components they're used to achieve that certain tone. I guess 2.5 and 500 are standards and have seen 1m pots in electric guitar specs. I am a rank beginner in these things. I have heard using different values, brand or materials with the resistors or capacitors will change the output or tone of the pickups. Anyway... would really appreciate your thoughts.
    Hubert

Default Re: Pickup Wiring suggestions

Stew Mac supply schematics online thru their website, and answer questions..

I used their help on my humbucker upgrade on the Fender FM61..

EMG Select, stacked dual coil, strat type > double concentric gang Pot > Switchcraft Jack.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Pickup Wiring suggestions

Most pickups come with wiring diagrams. If they don't then they can often be downloaded of the manufacturers website. If you still can't find them then look at www.guitarelectronics.com. I suggest starting with the manufacturers website first to make sure you clearly understand the color coding of the wires. A red wire on a Seymour Duncan isn't the same as one on a DiMarzio. The diagrams should also recommend pot values however I've found 500K to be the standard. I only use 1M pots when using low Ohm pickups, which is what I normally recommend when someone wants to improve the tone on their import instrument. Also, you can be pretty creative with switches to increase the tonal range of your instrument.