Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Affordable mandolins for the playing professional

Default Re: Affordable mandolins for the playing professional

This rings true. Thank you. So tired of people that own a barn full of expensive instruments claiming that they don't matter.

I just wanted opinions on great sounding and playing affordable mandolins (less than $2100) so that while I peruse the classified ads I might know a little more of what to watch for.

That's all. I really didn't want a bunch of life advice or philosophy. I thought this was where you went to talk about mandolins and music, not where you're talked down to by over anyone.

Thank you to those who stuck on subject and not to those who wouldn't.
    Adios

My counterpoint exactly mr5150. Thank you for being thoughtful rather than reactive and judgemental.
    Last edited by RustyMadd; Apr-29-2017 at 10:07am.

I own two Harmony Montereys. One was my wife's grandfather's, the other was my dad's. I play them all the time, and the better Monterey, actually plays and sounds in many ways better. It's not better than the Loar of course, but it is solid wood, 70 years old, and has a resonance that inspres.

I understand making due with what you have. I would bet few of you would've become a professional guitarist having to play the horrid Silvertone guitar I started with. It's action was so high, tightrope walkers wouldn't cross the strings for the terror. ;-)

You know what I mean. I did that for my first 10 years of playing. So please spare me the horror stories.
    I am 60 years old and want to finish this race with an instrument that brings as much joy in playing it as the sounds that eminate from it. Is that understandable?

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury17 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you add the noise by posting this, Rusty. T-E-F's post was actually a good argument that any instrument can be used professionally. If you disagree, state that, but don't be unnecessarily harsh. Everyone has the freedom to post. We're all here for the same reason - to learn and grow.
    In all fairness, the noise comes from waxing philosophical when actually asked a direct question.
    Answer it, if you know an answer, remain silent, if not.

Simple really. But please don't get me wrong, I am an opinionated a$$ and while I complain, I really do appreciate ALL of your comments. I'm just horribly impatient.

Sorry, please forgive my hackles and know I appreciate your help.
    Rusty

I enjoy songs from the depression era, and darned if they don't sound better, or at least more authentic, on cheap old instruments maybe a farmer could afford, so if I was gigging in that vein I'd have an old Kalamazoo or some such mandolin. I just fixed an old Epiphone acoustic that had that old timey vibe not found in a D 28, so it's more the right tool for the job than cost.

SO many very good mandolins under $2000. Just find one you like.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I think in the $1500-$2000 range, there are quite a few great instruments, especially if you can keep scroll envy in check and buy a used A style mandolin. The go to in that price range is the Collings MT which is usually between $1600-$1800. You can buy a new Northfield Model M for $1900. A used Redline for $1500, new $2000. Used Weber Gallatin for $1500. Used Pava Player for about $2100.
    There are so many more great mandolins in this price range, but those are the ones I think of first.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

"I enjoy songs from the depression era, and darned if they don't sound better, or at least more authentic, on cheap old instruments maybe a farmer could afford, so if I was gigging in that vein I'd have an old Kalamazoo or some such mandolin"

Jack White comes to mind. Fantastic musician and blues guitarist that regularly plays on really cheap instruments and does wonderful things with them.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Cost is a factor! I've owned over 40 mandolins, but most of those were solid wood, Asian made, a-models. They varied by quite a distance, but some were great! Then I bought a Flatiron A5-1, a factory, but bench-made, American mandolin. No comparison!

Now I know little about Eastman, J.Bovier, The Loar or other such Asian mandolins that have emerged in the last decade. The specs look good, there is good press and commentary on the Café, but. . .

I've seen excellent professional bands where the mandolin player used an Ovation - an instrument that gets almost NO comment on this web page. For the loud, amplified sound of this group, it was not a big factor. He sure played like he loved that instrument though!

I'm a bit stuck on my A3 right now. In a few more months, I'll let my ears recalibrate to my Muth or my Cohen. It doesn't matter to me which is better, they are just different. I love them all!

Owning multiple instruments is a luxury though. So, for my bottom dollar, I'd likely pursue a Collings MT, a Gibson A5, a Flatirion A5, A Gibson A9, a Pava Pro, or something of that ilk. How could you go wrong? They are out there in the secondary market, they are popular, and if your ear doesn't calibrate to that sound, it'd sell.

I'm confident that we can all learn to work with the mandolin we have. It just takes patience and a willingness to control the wondering eye.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

I have a Summit A model that plays so easy even my arthritic hands have not problem. They have a great sound and can be had under $1500 usually.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

I have a buddy who plays professionally in a bluegrass band. He was less than happy with a The Loar 375 that he had for several years and bought the 520vs. He loves it. I've watched him play "better" mandolins and declare that the 520vs is all he needs. He gets a great sound out of it.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Admittedly being lazy and not re-reading back to the 2009 start (though I will later). Silverangel, Collings MT, Sonny Morris, Bulldog, Gouriard, Summit, Weber Gallatin, and many Eastman/Kentucky/Loar/Boviers out there that fit the bill. Also Breedlove's former entry levels (pre-Crossover). Also, plenty of folks playing Fenders, Epiphones, and Ibanez with pickups (see Women with Mandolins thread for evidence)...

FWIW, I have an MT, Silverangel Econo, and an Eastman 315 that all work on stage. If I were touring I'd upgrade the tuners on the Eastman, but otherwise it would work well, especially EQd up. My favorite of the three at the moment is the SA, but it and the MT are different enough that it honestly depends on my mood from day to day...
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Personally, I'd like to try a sub-$1,000 Rigel a-model with f-holes. They are out there and one day, it may be me?

f-d

[QUOTE=CES;1572919]

FWIW, I have an MT, Silverangel Econo, and an Eastman 315 that all work on stage. If I were touring I'd upgrade the tuners on the Eastman, but otherwise it would work well, especially EQd up. My favorite of the three at the moment is the SA, but it and the MT are different enough that it honestly depends on my mood from day to day...[/QUOTE

This statement I find very true, and interesting in that I have a SA and my 199.00 Michael Kelly. I thought I played the MK only because I keep it within arm's reach. But as time goes by I'm beginning to discount that idea and cave to the reality I really like the MK. And don't discount the fact I'm amazed I polished a turd somewhat.

Someone stated that you form a connection with instruments you've done work on. I feel this is true. I just brought a 65 Epiphone Caballero back from the dead. This is a modest instrument by any standard. After a fret level, gluing some braces, and fixing the neck heel crack, it plays and sounds better than I've ever heard it, over the course of twenty or so years. I need to get it back to it's owner quick as I can. Getting too attached.

Can someone tell me how to capture just the part of a post I want to comment on?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Can someone tell me how to capture just the part of a post I want to comment on?[/QUOTE]

Just delete the part you don't want...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post

<snip>

Can someone tell me how to capture just the part of a post I want to comment on?

HaHa, now it looks like you typed this!!
    There's a button, that says, "Reply with Quote." Click that and you'll see a normal reply text box with the quoted words wrapped in something like, "[quote]" or such.

That's the stuff that'll go in the box. You can remove unwanted text (I use,"<snip>") You can also add - bad form!

Readers beware and writers be nice, seems to work.

Kind regards to CES- ha!

f-d

I have a friend who was moving to a more remote area a few years ago, and wanted a mandolin. The friend asked me to find one and get it set up, so I settled on a Flatiron Cadet, one of the later pancakes, which cost less than $400 including some set-up.

The friend just got back in touch and told me the mandolin has been shining in that location in a sea of mandolins which people generally order in from elsewhere. That made me pretty happy that it's worked out even against some of the Mando Café low-end favorites.

I do have my original-to-me Flatiron 1SH mandola from the '80s, the first nice new instrument I ever bought (on layaway!), which I still use and love, so now after hearing how well the Cadet worked out, I'm considering getting a matching mandolin for my mandola.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

22. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Awesome suggestions. Thank you all for weighing in, especially with recommended mandolins. Peace and prosperity to you all. May we meet in a jam session somewhere down the road.

A lot of valid points on mandolins that cost a lot versus the cheapies.If you are happy with what you are playing then who cares. I've played some of each and just love to play!

Blog Entries

In my experience, there are more than several very good flat top instruments which can often be acquired at the prices of lesser arch tops. For a particular price point, it is often possible to get a flatty that is overall a better built, better sounding, better playing instrument, than the similarly priced arch top, A or F.

If that iconic bluegrassy sound is not a priority, I think going straight for the arch top without checking out some of the flatties may be a mistake.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In the last year or so, three mandolins I've played really stand out, a Gibson A2z, an A4, and a Flatiron 1N.

Many other fine mandos are just a blur of fine mandos.That Flatiron was$500.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

27. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by music man View Post
    If you are happy with what you are playing then who cares. I've played some of each and just love to play!
    That is just it. This thread is for those people that aren't happy with what they currently have. That is the point solely.

NFI on my part but Elderly has a nice Weber Gallatin F right now for $1899 I think - anyone looking for a workhorse would get a lot of mileage out of that one..
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I had a Stella, some electric mandolin that I don't even remember the brand, and an old Gibson A that someone had drilled holes around the oval hole to mount a pickup, the intonation was off and the neck was starting to get a scoop in and wasn't very loud. I made money playing out with all three of those. When I got older i no longer played for money and got a beautiful Breedlove Cascade. that cost me $1700. It was beautiful but was really meant for a different style of music than what I played, and only lately I decided to start looking elsewhere. The Breedlove will soon be for sale I think. I really loved that old Gibson in many ways, it was sweet and intimate and I have found myself missing that oval hole sound. I mostly play neo-Appalachian pseudo Celtic stuff in my living room and don't need chop, or bark, or projection. I thought about haunting all the stores for an Eastman oval hole or another old Gibson but then I happened to come across Pomeroy instruments. I read a lot about them, emailed the builder, listened to some of his music (which was very similar to what I play), got a couple of sound clips sent to me and some pictures of one he had on hand and I ordered it. It just arrived this morning. It is almost a dead ringer in color to my old Gibson, except the sound is way beyond what that old A1 was capable of. Yeah, it is the most expensive instrument I ever bought but in just a few minutes I have more of a relationship with it than I ever did with the Breedlove. It is beautiful to look at and I get to help out a fellow musician and builder too. I see mandolins and fiddles well over $50,000 that I would never understand the value of. I have played a $125 German fiddle for over 33 years that I STILL have not been able to replace to my satisfaction, and never had a really good instrument until I was retired. Play what you have got to the best of your ability, treat yourself to whatever you can afford that makes your heart sing and don't worry about what the next guy is playing.