Thread: F4 Action

Default F4 Action

I recently bought an F4, Gibson, 1924, and was surprised to find that the action was quite high. I've looked at a coupemof F4's which are similar. I adjusted the action down to pretty much the minuimum, but now the scratch plate protrudes above the level of the strings!!

Is there a reason why these mando's have a high action - tone, or something? If not I'll try ways of lowering the scratch plate level to match the lower string height!

thanks
    Rick (UK)

Default Re: F4 Action

Rick, perhaps you should take your instrument to a luthier familiar with vintage Gibsons. A PM to Dan B. would probably produce some suggestions for the UK. Perhaps it needs a nut adjustment, or new bridge, or a truss rod tweak, or even some combo of things...only an expert can diagnose & intelligently recommend options. I believe some Gibson pickguard clamps of that era allowed for adjustment, a relatively simple thing compared to getting a good setup which maximizes the playability and tone of your mando.

It sounds like the pickguard is warped. There is no adjustment on the guard that will lower it. A very careful slight bend in the rod to the clamp may bring the bridge end of the guard down some. Do not risk breaking the guard with lever action force to the attachment block, use two sets of needle nose pliers or remove the rod totally.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I stand corrected. I had a 1919 A-2 years ago and the two pickguard clamps looked like each clamp had two vertical [at right angle to the instrument face], thin, flat pieces, one sliding behind the other to permit the adjustment of the guard's distance from the top. It looked that way, anyway, though I never needed mine changed. I certainly defer to Daryl's expertise - after all, he builds reproductions of the dang things.

Hello Michael (and anyone else in the UK contemplating mandolin setup!),

I unreservedly recommend Dave King as a luthier to set up vintage mandolins, he's done several of mine including my prized 3pt f4. He makes great nuts, does beautiful repair work, and his set-up skills are top drawer.

Here is his web site: Dave King Acoustics
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Michael, you are correct (sortof). The clamp is adjustable, but only with respect to the rim thickness (height from top to back). They adjust so that the clamping pressure is correct, but it does not affect the stand off height of the pickguard.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com