Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandola case options

Default Mandola case options

I'm sure this has been discussed, but my search didn't turn up too much. What are the options for hard (or foam) teardrop mandola cases? Thanks!

Default Re: Mandola case options

I have a Calton case for my Kimble Mandola, but it is pretty large -- the body fits nicely, but there is a lot of room above the headstock in the case (which is pretty heavy). This came with the Mandolin, so I don't know cost or which model it is.

One option is to call Dennis Reamy at TKL/Cedar Creek. Cedar Creek has done custom multi-ply cases for all of my mandolas. They cetainly aren't true travel cases a'la Calton, but they come in at a much lower price point than Calton. They also make a "Zero Gravity" foam case, and could probably do one for a mandola. I know that they already have a pattern and measurements for an H1 case. With mandola cases in general, you have to order 3 months or so in advance from any manufacturer. They just don't want to keep those things in inventory.

http://www.Cohenmando.com

I'm still using one made out of slabs made for building insulation , lined with Plush , and a Sewn cover , #10 zipper closure it's going on 15 years now..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Maybe the good folks at Weber could help you out. They seem to have a source for cases for the whole mando family.

Thanks folks! I may end up have a Cedar Creek case made. I've been very happy with the ones they've done for me in the past.

my Cole Mandola came with a Weber case. no Weber logo, but it is a nice case. at some point i will measure it up for a calton. i won't be parting with this mandola any time soon.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Hello,

I think that Players Vintage Insturments out in California might still have some mandola cases -- they had 60 of them a few years ago -- these are average grade, plush lined hard shell cases (nice latches) for less than $100. They will house a Gibson H-1 mandola but you have to move the storage compartment from the body side to the headstock side (I think that's how it was).

I would not send the mandolin on a plane ride in the baggage cabin in this case but its great for just protecting it at a festival or a jam.

It is Lowell Levinger's store I know the name above is right but I'm not clear on the web address -- maybe:
    www.vintageinsturments.com
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Does anyone here happen to have pictures of his mandola in its case? Maybe with dimensions? I thought there might be some somewhere. I looked carefully at the rectangular Breedlove KO case I have and decided that for a 28.5" mandola with just shy of 11" width, it might fit. This case is ~3" longer than the TKL A-style shaped mandolin case. There's plenty of room in the shaped TKL A mandolin case, but not quite enough for the mandola. However, the Breedlove appears to have similar (the same?) dimensions to the TKL "oblong" F case, and would require only slight interior modification by a jack of all trades to fit a mandola.. maybe new liner material, too. I nearly bought one recently for that purpose.

I've been considering Price, CedarCreek/TKL, and even adapting a short tenor banjo case. That last is probably not a bad idea, although I'll leave it up to you to determine that. Once again, custom work on fitting the mandola would be required. And the extra length on the banjo case means there will be more storage area there. Not to mention the looks that the airport security guards will give you.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Default No mandola cases at Players Vintage Instruments !

Wrong. NOPE. NOT True
    I do not sell cases.
    I don't have any mandola cases for sale.
    Sorry. I only sell cool old vintage instruments.
    Lowell Levinger
    Players Vintage Instruments
    www.vintageinstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Hello,

I think that Players Vintage Insturments out in California might still have some mandola cases --
    It is Lowell Levinger's store I know the name above is right but I'm not clear on the web address -- maybe:
    www.vintageinsturments.com

Blog Entries

Lowell Levinger: Wrong. NOPE. NOT True
    I do not sell cases. I don't have any mandola cases for sale.
    Hmmm. Sorry about that! Faulty neuron I guess. The purchase was several years ago but I should have records.

I will check it out and find out where I did get it and correct the record. It was definitely a colorful music store out in California but obviously not you then.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I ordered a case from Cedar Creek for my Steven Anderson mandola. Dennis is great to work with. It appears to be a banjo case with the neck shortened. I'm sure they already had a banjo case form made and it was easy to adapt. I wish there were more clearance at the top of the headstock. There is only a half-inch. I would prefer a couple on inches. Aesthetically it doesn't look like there is a mandola in there. Maybe a banj-dola? It is a nice case though. I'm sure it will last many years.
    Shelby

Blog Entries

OK correction to my earlier post -- last June!

The place where I bought the mandola case was Thin Man String Company in Alameda, California.

The mandola cases have been sold out and are now a discontinued item but they still offer a mandola gig bag. Sorry about the error earlier.

However as noted in my first post I think I purchased the last one they had.

Sorry about the mistake. I guess I got confused with Mr. Levinger's site because I had purchased a vintage Gibson tenor guitar that was listed on his site -- on consignment to a famous California-based mandolin player!
    Bernie
    ____

I just found this place. I have a Lyon & Healey Mandola. I'd guess it's probably from the twenties or thirties. When I bought the mandola it was in a heavy cardboard and cloth case with a galoshes style hook to close a leather-hinged flap. I've been looking around without much success for a case. Music stores are trying to sell me a bass ukelele case, and I've just made contact with Weber cases. I've seen mention of Weber cases on here, and it sounds like people have been happy with them. Any comment on an estimated cost range for one? Anyone tried to modify a bass ukelele case?

Wow Jerry, didn't realize you had joined. Can you post a photo of your L&H mandola?

I have both a Weber mandola case and an L&H mandola, and they don't go together. I ended up having an old double violin case modified to fit the mandola.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I ended up buying the modified case that James Condino (If I recall correctly) was selling on the classifieds a while back. It works well for me. It's a rectangular case modified by the seller in a very serviceable fashion. I was intending to modify a two-instrument case I had acquired a couple of years earlier, but when this one came up on the classifieds, it was just too easy an option.

Michael T.

Anyone tried the Warwick Rockbag with a Gibson H1 mandola? Dimensions look about right.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_roc...us_mandola.htm

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I was seriously considering the purchase of a tenor banjo case for my mandola. It seemed like the best readily available fit to the instrument. The extra headstock space would have provided storage for the inevitable <stuff> that one wants to include in a case.

A gig bag would have worked, too. My mandola came with a very nice Colorado Cases bag that was only a tiny bit strained by the mandola's length. A tenor banjo gig bag would have been just fine, too, aside from the prospect of provoking purportedly sympathetic comments from bystanders concerning the ill-supported neck extension.

Michael T.

The reunion blues continental mandolin case fits a Collings Mandola well. The Collings specs are:

Body Length: 15 3/16"
    Body Depth at Side: 2 1/16"
    Lower Bout Width: 11 1/4"
    Total Length: 29 3/8"
    Scale Length: 15.9"
    Standard Nut Width: 1.3"

It gives adequate protection, but I would not squish it in the overhead of a plane, etc.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Martin, we sell these, but I think they might be a bit long. I have one I use on my tenor banjo.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Yipe, I emailed Cedar Creek/TKL and got quoted a $549.50 starting price for a custom H1 case. No "Dennis" either.

Does that sound high?

That sounds about right. And very high. Try Ameritage. But I think they'll be around $400. The direct pricing for both of these companies is, uummmm......ambitious at best. Dealers/builders are paying $150-200 for them I think. You're pretty much over a barrel when it comes to custom mandola cases.

Well, if I can score some appropriate shells, I think I will get the foam and fabric and whip up a few H1/H2 cases. They won't be perfect but they won't be five C's either.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yipe, I emailed Cedar Creek/TKL and got quoted a $549.50 starting price for a custom H1 case. No "Dennis" either.

Does that sound high?
    Yes it does sound high, but 'you get what you pay for'.
    I've dealt with Cedar Creek several times on custom cases, going back to the days of Dennis, and have learned some things about the company, their designs and methods. They make high quality cases, they use hide glue(!) to laminate the plies of wood, they use natural materials like cotton velour and cotton tweed for interiors and exteriors much of the time and so forth. The idea is for the cases to be as free of irritants to owners as practical. The cases are well made and fit what they are meant to fit, and all in all, quality costs money.
    Less expensive cases, made by foreign labor, that I've owned and used have not been up to the quality standards of Cedar Creek, but some of them do their job reasonably well. Don't expect a custom fit mandola case from any of them though.

Yes, I'm still using Cedar Creek for my mandola cases and some of my other custom cases, and the quality and customer service have been very good.