Default Re: Elvis Costello and Mike Compton

Here's a link to an interview with the angry young man on NPR:

Interview on NPR
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    <To bad Elvis lost his voice. If you watched his TV show everytime he opens his mouth it strained and off key.>

How would you know? I thought you were tone deaf.

I can hear off key, I saw Elvis first every American tour. He is not what he used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
    I can hear off key, I saw Elvis first every American tour. He is not what he used to be
    Then you are not tone deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
    Let me just say 1) having just seen this show and 2) having been a HUGE fan in 1977, and followed that first tour pretty closely that I respectfully disagree. Not flaming here, just my considered opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Weiss View Post
    Let me just say 1) having just seen this show and 2) having been a HUGE fan in 1977, and followed that first tour pretty closely that I respectfully disagree. Not flaming here, just my considered opinion.

Just the tour date in Albany N.Y, the same year I saw the first US tours of The Dire Straights and The Police. All small clubs.i like Elvis when he does his own thing he just can't really sing with others that well.

You didnt get to ride in his car then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    You didnt get to ride in his car then?
    Nope, but I was in a car once with Doc Watson (really)

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I too pine for the good ol' days of an Armed Forces or a Get Happy recording with The Attractions. Elvis sure has gone through a lot a phases in his long career and some I liked and others not so much.

My jury is kind of out on this one. I need to hear the recording a bit more, but what I've heard so far didn't thrill me too much. I like the Hank Williams tune he did on the recording with Charlie Haden.

Anyone here been watching his T.V. interview show called "Spectacle"? I less than thrilled by that one as well. Seems like he sort of answers his own questions.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Good review of said show...

I have been a fan of Elvis Costello since I saw him on his first American tour and he issued "My Aim is True."

This is a really fine album (oops, I mean CD!). However, despite my appreciation for Jerry Douglas, I wish Elvis had mixed Mike Compton further up, Jerry Douglas a bit further back, and had given Mike a couple of solo breaks. Jerry is featured and Mike is only given the task of providing mandolin "color."

Mandoblab

Easy money for Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoblab View Post
    I have been a fan of Elvis Costello since I saw him on his first American tour and he issued "My Aim is True."

This is a really fine album (oops, I mean CD!). However, despite my appreciation for Jerry Douglas, I wish Elvis had mixed Mike Compton further up, Jerry Douglas a bit further back, and had given Mike a couple of solo breaks. Jerry is featured and Mike is only given the task of providing mandolin "color."

Mandoblab
    All true. Too bad- but still fine music.

Elvis Costello is on the tonight show along with a mandolin player.
    '81 Alvarez DY51 - Acoustic Guitar
    Alvarez AD60CK - Acoustic/Electric Guitar
    Epiphone MM-30 - Mandolin
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Electric Guitar
    Sears Silvertone - Banjo
    Violin
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhowellphotography/

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, Mike was there, as promised, but he didn't get to do much. Most of the fill work and the lead were provided by Stuart Duncan on fiddle. Jim Lauderdale played guitar and sang, as he had when EC was on Letterman June 4th - that appearance also featured some nice slide work on a National steel guitar instead of fiddle. Anyway, nice to see such a fine mandolin on TV, a rare occurrence.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

"Secret, Profane & Sugarcane," Elvis Costello's most recent release, includes the following artists:
    (FYI)
    * Elvis Costello - vocals, acoustic guitar
    * Dennis Crouch - double bass
    * Stuart Duncan - fiddle
    * Jerry Douglas - dobro
    * Jeff Taylor - accordion
    * Mike Compton - mandolin
    * Jim Lauderdale - harmony & background vocals
    * T Bone Burnett - electric guitar
    * Emylou Harris - harmony vocal

My history with Elvis Costello goes back to "The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes" and "Alison" and other songs from those years. Lately, (the last 15 years or so), he's gone in a TON of different directions, some that I've liked, and some that I haven't cared for.

The songs on the afore mentioned latest CD are full of bizzare key changes, (not in all the songs, but in a number of them) and the tempo of the lyrics in some of the songs is confusing. Typical Elvis C. adaptations, IMHO.

I picked up a CD not long ago, of a famous Jazz Bass player, who as a child, had done a lot of family "old country" music, (I'll see if I can find his CD today, for the sake of specificity, should someone want to know who it was), who was re-visiting the music again, at the behest of friends. He was joined by his lovely daughters on the CD, and other musicians, including Elvis C.. I remember hearing E.C.'s contribution to it, and not liking it. There's just something "Leon Redbone" about E.C. that doesn't (IMHO) lend itself to Bluegrass well.
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

I've come to the realization that EC will always just sound like EC, no matter WHAT genre of music he may be playing. Be that good or bad. I really like him, but sometimes he gets a real "square peg/round hole" thing going.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Soupy1957 View Post
    I picked up a CD not long ago, of a famous Jazz Bass player, who as a child, had done a lot of family "old country" music, (I'll see if I can find his CD today, for the sake of specificity, should someone want to know who it was),
    Charlie Haden.

Mike: THAT'S IT!!! Thanks.........
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    I've come to the realization that EC will always just sound like EC, no matter WHAT genre of music he may be playing. Be that good or bad. I really like him, but sometimes he gets a real "square peg/round hole" thing going.
    When we were at the show last week, my wife turned to me after three bars (of "Mystery Train"!) and said "Ooh, it sounds just like Elvis Costello!" That's a GOOD thing in my book.

Well, I think his voice spoils most things he does. I agree wholeheartedly that Alison, etc. were really beautiful but a lot of some really lovely songs of his are ruined because ...he happens to be singing them.

Picked up this album the other day and I'm really enjoying it..

The liner notes credit Lou Reed for "Femme Fatale" - am I missing something? Is there a hidden track somewhere that my CD player is skipping? Or does he reference a line or two in a song that I missed?

I downloaded it from iTunes and Femme Fatale is listed as a bonus track. Maybe it's a hidden track at the end of the CD? Maybe it's only available on the downloads?

Ya know, I listened to the samples and didn't really care for it. The local FYE music store had a sale the other weekend and all cds were $9.99, so I broke down and bought it. I mean, it has Mike Compton on it afterall. After listening to the whole recording, it's much better than I thought. My only complaint is that they could have showcased the mandolin a little more. Still a cool project!

It grows on you. "I Felt the Chill Before the Winter Came" (that he wrote with Loretta Lynn) is about as fine a song that's ever been written IMHO and the recording captures a stellar performance of it.

I look forward to seeing them in Vancouver.