Thread: accurate chords & solos tablature

Question accurate chords & solos tablature

Are there any good tablature web sites out there for mando chords and solos? I see that the Cafe has some songs tab'ed. I am a long time guitar player in the process of picking up the mando. I want to learn the actual chord positions and solos in a song. This will help my learning process on why they were used. For example maybe they used one chord form to quickly get to another or for the tone it provided. Maybe certain chord forms are better for chop chords than others. I am particulalry interested in country rock, country, bluegrass, and rock genres in that order. What past/present country rock & country bands can you recommend that utilize the mando as a major instrument? So many of what I have listened to (Poco, Eagles, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, etc.) in the past use it sparingly. Of course, these days you can say that modern country is now what country rock was.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: accurate chords & solos tablature

Just Google mandolin AND tab

or ... "type in whatever tune you want to learn" AND mandolin tab

you'll find more than you can learn it two lifetimes.

I like www.jaybuckey.com he has some good free tab for fiddle tunes and songs and if you like it buy some of his ebooks their pretty good.

Default Re: accurate chords & solos tablature

Hi Gary

There's a wealth of great books and instructional DVDs out there and any good search engine will find them for you.

Too many great bands featuring mandolin to mention but look up Bill Monroe, Ronnie McCoury, David Grisman, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Mike Compton, Frank Wakefield, Chris Thile, Mike Marshall and Ry Cooder and dozens more...

Bluegrass books/DVDs will tell you about chop chords and things like that. Websites with tab? Look up Jack Tottle and Jay Buckey. Also look up mandozine too.

I could go on but that's enough for starters!

Good luck! You should find some folks to pick with too.
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer