Thread: 2nd Annual - Medley of Old-Time Music Work-Shops

Exclamation 2nd Annual - Medley of Old-Time Music Work-Shops

Already it's time to start thinking of the August work-shops! It'll sneak up on us before we know it, and last year's endeavour was such a smashing success, in all respects, that not doing it again this year would qualify as a crime! So. . . .

This year's dates are 14 and 15 August, and will be held at The Inn at Mountain View, of course. Read all about it here:
    http://www.theinnatmountainview.com....html#fiddle

Not everything is quite correct on that page, but the dates, the schedule, and the costs are right. Ignore the part about schedules being provided to participants by 10 August 2009. You've already got the schedule there.

Here are some comments from last year's Medley:

"I thought the workshop overall was excellent! The tunes were good ones and it was SO helpful to have the CD. Billy was very encouraging and supportive and patient. I think the pace was good and I felt like I learned the tunes pretty well. Playing them later in the jam session was a real plus!"

"This was my first workshop but I was impressed with Billy’s level of playing & thought he did a good job of conducting the workshops. I learned a little bit which was more than I expected, but I’m a slow learner & a quick forgetter. I liked the CD & am practicing quite a bit with it."

"I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. The workshop was excellent, as were the tunes we learned and the jam sessions. I heard so many wonderful new tunes this weekend and got some recordings of them to learn."

"Colin, you did an excellent job in the clawhammer workshop. I think most everyone was more advanced than me. I appreciate that you gave me a little extra help. Please don't think that you didn't get through to me."

"All I have is great things to say, Colin. Your hard work paid off the entire workshop! You are marvelous!"

Those who were here last year know what a great time was had by all, and we're expecting nothing less for this year's Medley! Billy and Colin have taken the suggestions from last year, incorporated them, fine-tuned and tweaked, and are looking forward to putting it all together again for us come August.

Reservations at The Inn are available here:
    http://www.webervations.com/magic-s...InnatMtnView

General info, alternate lodging, etc., about Mountain View is available here:
    http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/index.html

Will write more as we go along. If anyone has any questions regarding the work-shops, please do not hesitate to contact me! If anyone would like to be added to the e-mail up-dates, send me an e-mail, and I'll add you to the list.

This will be held at Mountain View, Arkansas.

Default Re: 2nd Annual - Medley of Old-Time Music Work-Shops

Your first 2 links do not work.
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

Thank you for pointing this out! Apparently I did a cut-and-paste of the text, and the links were already parsed on the site from which I took it, thus weren't complete links when I posted them here. I'll defeat the parsing here by unchecking that option, so that the complete links will be visible. Just cut-and-paste the links into the browser, as they'll not be hot-links now.

Corrected First Link:

http://theinnatmountainview.com/events.html#fiddle

Corrected Second Link:

http://www.webervations.com/magic-scripts/resbook.asp?memberid=TheInnatMtnView

Thanks, again!
    Last edited by M-D; May-07-2009 at 6:23pm. Reason: Corrected Text and Links

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. August is closer than it was. It'll be September before ya' know it, and this opportunity will be long gone!

The workshops sound like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure my oldtime string band is planning on setting up around the old Courthouse for some serious oldtime picking. Love that old time music!
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Mike,

When y'all comin' up this way?

Not exactly sure yet M-D. Will have to get with the guys tonight and see. We're practicing tonight for a Thrs. show. Probably that Sat. August 15th or maybe both days if we stay at our fiddle players cabin up that way. We're all about a 3 hour drive from there ... But we all really love Mountainview! We might just go up there for the fun of it sooner. Sometimes we just pick at the cabin and sometimes in town.

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Bet I know who that fiddler is.

Sent you a PM.

Well, another month closer still! Just wanted to bring this back to the top.

The Medley is four weeks from today!

Here's a mini-documentary on the music-scene in Mountain View.

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articl...-video-series/

Alternate link:

http://blip.tv/file/2331915/

Exclamation Re: 2nd Annual - Medley of Old-Time Music Work-Shops

The Medley is TWO WEEKS from TODAY!

You know you want to be here for this, but you're just a bit ambivalent for whatever reason. Go stand in front of the mirror, and just be candid with yourself. Then tell yourself that you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you! Also, that you really deserve this musical vacation, and that you should go ahead with making plans to be there. Then, take the steps to make it happen, and just do it. You'll be glad you did. We'll all be waiting for you at The Inn, 'cause we know we're fixin' to have a great time, and we want to share that with you.

For those already gonna' head this way: If you're registered at The Inn, you're all set for the work-shop(s) of your choice. If you're local, or NOT registered at The Inn, and you've not already told me that you're planning to attend, ya' need to do that ASAP.

Be seein' ya' soon, I hope!

Hey Martin ... we haven't made it up that way yet Bill's fiddlen' around at Clfftop for about a week now. He should be back in a few days and if he's not too tired out maybe we can get all of us up your way for some pickin some time in the near future.

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Hey, Mike! Y'all holler if you're comin' this way! We're fixin' to get a square-dance goin' again on the Square, every Thursday night, but it will be a couple of weeks before we start.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Final Update to the Medley

This is it. Last chance. The Medley begins ONE WEEK from today.

Next Friday, the 14th, at 9:00 AM the old-time guitar work-shop will begin, followed by the mandolin work-shop at 1:30 PM. We'll have a break for supper, then we'll commence to jammin' in the parlour, until the wee hours.

Then, Saturday morning, the 15th, at 9:00 AM, the fiddle work-shop begins. Banjo work-shop starts at 1:30 PM. After the break for the pot-luck supper (locals and those staying somewhere besides The Inn: Bring food!), we will once again merrily play in the parlour until the last man/woman is able.

Sounds rather austere when laid out in such factual terms, but what's not said is that we're going to be having the greatest time imaginable whilst doing all of this; that these work-shops are very laid back, jovial, with a lot of generosity given by not only Billy and Colin, but by the other participants. This is almost like a gathering of family . . . 'cept we all get along and have big fun, 'cause we're a musical family. ;-)

So, here it is. We're down to the wire. Time to jump off the fence and get here, 'cause the only way we'd even consider having such fun without you is if you couldn't be here . . . and, I hope we dont have to!

See ya' Friday, the 14th!