Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: whiskey before breakfast challenge

Default Re: whiskey before breakfast challenge

OK, enough of the practice - I'm just getting smashed and not improving much - here is a once-through, warts and all... Vega Cylinder-Back 10-string thingie... for inspiration I watched Orrin Starr on Youtube playing it. He capo'd on 2 in C... if it's good enough for Orrin it's certainly good enough for me... Excuse the serious face - it's the only one I have, never been accused of being two-faced - but this tune is really close to a few others in my repertoire in several places and it took a lot of concentration... the upside is I can only get better at it... Slainte 's Saol, 's go mbeirimis beo ar an am seo aris...

Tuning is CCGGDDAAEE capo'd on 2 for DDAAEEBBF#F#

I did a retake of this but my neighbour drove his Harley past during the chorus..errr B part....

Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Apr-21-2009 at 2:08am.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Could see the whiskey kicking in after 50 sec.

This challenge reminds me a bit of the legendary North Sea pirate Klaus Störtebeker: when he was captured with his crew, and they were all sentenced to death, he offered a deal - his men would stand in a line, he would be decapitated first and run along the line, and as many of his men he passed by would be spared. He indeed started running (headless like a chicken) and would have saved all of his crew, had not someone thrown a wooden log at his legs and made him stumble.

You saved them all, Eddie. And with that strange machine, too!

uisge beatha go bragh...

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    I'm not sure how Dan does it, hopefully he'll tell us soon. I just tuned the G strings DOWN to a D one octave lower than the next set of D's... they were kinda floppy, but are just used for a drone effect, I believe. The top strings I tuned down one step from E's to D's.

Barb

That's it. Drop the G all the way down to a D, and the top e 1 step down to a D. The low Gs will be pretty floppy, I tune them about a 1/4 pitch flat and they come up with a couple whacks.

Try these too:
    - midnight on the water
    - bonaparte's retreat
    - Irish pipe/flute tunes based on that same scale & a half in D

A variant that I like to do on bouzoukis or tenors is to capo on the 5th fret, but not the bottom string.. You get (G)GDG on a GDAD bouzouki.. or in my case (G)GDAD on my 10-stringer
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Eddie, that was great.... and you get extra points for wearing your JazzMando shirt.... just caught a glimpse of it as you turned off the camera! I'm sure it's OK to retake.... hard to outplay a Harley!

Barb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Just curious: which of the two targets do you aim at with those darts?

Bertram
    Exactly.

My friends even tell me there are poems I can resite while sozzled that I don't even know that I know when I am sober. Then again, these friends, at those moments, are not the most reliable of witnesses.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

One of two:

Allmans Before Breakfast: If Dickey Betts took the challenge

Wow Jim. That was cool!!! Rock tunes on the mando and fiddle tunes on the tele.

Jim...you crack me up...!
    Good job...

Blog Entries

Two of two

Whiskey on octave mandolin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Jim...you crack me up...!
    Good job...
    The 2nd half of Whiskey reminds me some of the Allman's Revival. So combine that with a little bit of Jessica and Elizabeth Reed and you get Whiskey Before Breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Two of two

Whiskey on octave mandolin
    Jim, those were great! I was tempted to record mine headless, like you did.... I look MUCH better that way!

Barb

I don't know why I feel like I want to try this but I guess I have nothing to loose.
    Here is my version as a fairly new mandolin player. I've been learning to play this
    instrument for about a year now.

I get inspired learning from others... maybe somebody who is just starting to play can
    see that it can be done. Even if you are 50+ and never played an instrument before ;-)

Terry
    Terry
    Arkansas Picker
    "Enjoying the Challenge"
    Crystal Forest Mandolins web site
    Facebook page

terry - that's great, really well done.

however ...

i note, of late (with the exemplary exclusion of barbara and sig. eddie) the non-compliance of an essential aspect of the challenge which seems to have been - you know - shucked.

bottoms up, guys ... top of the morning to you ... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by TDMpicker View Post
    I don't know why I feel like I want to try this but I guess I have nothing to loose.
    Here is my version as a fairly new mandolin player. I've been learning to play this
    instrument for about a year now.

I get inspired learning from others... maybe somebody who is just starting to play can
    see that it can be done. Even if you are 50+ and never played an instrument before ;-)

Terry
    Hey, that was GREAT! For someone who's just been playing for a year, your left and right hand technique is AWESOME! And, your timing and tempo! Keep up the good work!

I'm there with you on the 'never too old to learn'.... I took up the mandolin at 51, my first stringed instrument to learn! There was a thread on here a while back, about age, and when you started playing, and there's quite a few of us 'oldies' that are new to mandolin playing here at the cafe!

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    terry - that's great, really well done.

however ...

i note, of late (with the exemplary exclusion of barbara and sig. eddie) the non-compliance of an essential aspect of the challenge which seems to have been - you know - shucked.

bottoms up, guys ... top of the morning to you ... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
    Bill.... maybe the video stopped a little too quick, or started too late... that DOES look like a bottle of whiskey in the foreground

BArb

C'mon in Bill, the water's fine...

Wait a minute - Jim, I call foul! There was no evidence of any whiskey being drunk before, after, or during either performance.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Since I was called out for not playing by the rules with my last post I decided another version was in order. I posted the first take which is a little silly and sloppy, but that's the idea right??
    All I had in the house was JW Blue Label and Blue Moon wheat beer. I didn't think this excercise warranted a glass of Blue Label, so beer it is!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    Wait a minute - Jim, I call foul! There was no evidence of any whiskey being drunk before, after, or during either performance.
    My dad worked for Joseph E Seagram at the Lawrenceburg Indiana distillery for 45 years, so I've got whiskey in my blood!

And besides, I still had a little in my blood from last night

Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Since I was called out for not playing by the rules with my last post I decided another version was in order. I posted the first take which is a little silly and sloppy, but that's the idea right??
    All I had in the house was JW Blue Label and Blue Moon wheat beer. I didn't think this excercise warranted a glass of Blue Label, so beer it is!!

Shaun--sounds great. I forgot you had a Kimble! You need to join the Kimble group I started.

Also, I spot the Crown Royal bag in the background, so I think you pass.

Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed that all you guys look like you've filmed yours in a 'better homes & gardens' house, and I look like I live in a bachelor pad, with a messy pool table in the background!

Barb

If my mother saw the background in my video she'd scream!! LOL My office is actually pretty clean. You should see the spare bedroom!

Jim.....thanks for the kind words. Yup, I've been a happy Kimble owner for a couple months now. I really like his mandolins, especially his oval holes. And I'm one step ahead of ya....I already joined the Kimble group and posted some other videos. And you spotted the CR bag, which is ful of string winders and extra strings. Handy little bags, aren't they?? LOL

As for your videos.....freakin' COOL!

I did mine on the back patio... mandolin music ain't welcome in the house....

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed that all you guys look like you've filmed yours in a 'better homes & gardens' house, and I look like I live in a bachelor pad, with a messy pool table in the background!

Barb
    Hah! You ain't SEEN clutter!
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

mornin' all ...