Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone make an 8-string (4 course) violin?

Default Re: Anyone make an 8-string (4 course) violin?

Bothy fiddler: do you have any recordings of you playing this instrument. I also did a search for the violin maker but I see no web presence. Is he still around and building?

I have seen at least one 8 string fiddle similar to yours from many years ago. I believe it was made in the 1890s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nevin: Thanks for your query. No, I find absolutely no problems whatsoever. The sound is very 'full' and there is no difficulty with fingering or bowing. Please note that the de-tuning is absolutely infinitesimal.

Sorry, Jim. I do not have any recordings at all and Roger Hahn, who is not a professional violin maker (but an immensely gifted amateur) has dropped from sight. Mind you, I moved away from his area some 12 years ago. I think that 8-string fiddles are as rare as rocking-horse teeth. I have never see one.

Here are some small pics of one made around 1890. Not sure where it was made. I believe that is the one I played many years ago tho it might have been a different one or actually an 8 string viola.

The only reason I can see for doing this would be to increase the volume. I assume that is what you do as a bothy fiddler? Of course, there are battery operated amps now, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture1.jpg 
Views:	1351 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	151760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	151759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture6.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	151755  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	151758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture5.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	151756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture4.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	151757  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Edward Hagen in New Mexico made several and I've got one now. Having a great time. I tuned the lower strings in octaves:

https://youtu.be/WtXeimdEARQ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krywanoga For This Useful Post:

Hardanger, a traditional Norwegian fiddle, has 4 played and 4 drones..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

After spending 50 years tuning and retuning 8 strings trying to keep pairs " twinned" I almost cried when I read the post that this fellow intentionally "untwined" them.

Benny Martin and his 8 string fiddle:

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Do you find the slightly detuned strings fight the bow? On upright bass I find that when my intonation is off on double stops the bowing gets harder.
    No; there is no problem with the bowing at all.

No recordings, sorry; I just play the instrument. I have no idea where Roger Hahn is now, nor even if he is still alive.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

it's cheating, it's not as good (obviously), but Aidan O'Rourke plays his normal fiddle through an EHX POG pedal... which sounds epic live...

*DUCKS FOR COVER*
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Suggest you listen to the Benny Martin recording to see how well this works - and it saves worrying about 'vibrato', for those of us who cannot do it. In fact the idea is based on that inadequacy. A vibrato wobbles in and out of the note (by an infinitesimal amount) to give a pleasing sound. By detuning one of a pair of strings (by an infinitesimal amount) you put the bounds of the note in a similar range without having to wobble your finger - which I cannot do. It is an excellent solution.

Well, the great thing about vibrato as an expressive tool is that you can apply it where it's needed, increase or decrease its intensity, and shut it off when it's not appropriate.

Using slightly detuned, paired fiddle strings is not a substitute for vibrato. The effect is "on" at one level all the time. It's like a mandolinist playing everything with tremolo, or using nothing but downstrokes.

But no one ever accused Benny Martin of being afraid to bring the cheese.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I have been playing fiddle for about 45 years and never have worried about vibrato nor have I found a need for an extra set of strings to boost my volume. I am glad that Bothy Fiddler fives and instrument that works for him or her. OTOH there are many non-classical violinists or fiddlers who do quite well with a normally set up fiddle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Interesting sound. I can see that the changes from a normal fiddle involve at a minimum wider neck at the nut, and a custom tailpiece. Were I making one (which I could be talked into), I would choose a fairly wide body (for appearance), narrow channel/strong arching, somewhat beefier graduations, and a strong double-crowned bridge thicker throughout. Interesting project!
    Stephen Perry