Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cold Frosty Morning won the poll for August

c3hammer,

all heart man! really feeling this song with your version. nice interpretation!

happy pickin',

craig

Thanks Craig. I've been working on controlling the rhythm by keeping a constant right hand motion. I've been to a few workshops lately, and all the instructors stress this aspect of being a good player. Unfortunately, all the tunes are sometimes too fast, I find it easier to maintain a consistent tempo at a slightly higher rate of speed. I heard a really good 'breakdown' mandolin player yesterday, and I still don't understand how good bluegrass players can get to such a high rate of speed. Unfotunately I don't envision myself ever getting to that point. At the same time, I don't think all tunes need to be played at break-neck speed. I'm striving for a even tempo, and I'll have to settle for a personal top speed for different genres.

Is that up-down, or down-up? I'm so confused? Dan (farmerf5)
    Play em like you know em!

Mandomayer,
    Your version is great! You put in some little hammer-ons and slides here and there, it sounds lovely. Also, your first part of the B part is slightly different than mine, don't know what it is, maybe the chords? Nice job anyway.

Thanks bluegrasstjej. I've been watching the fun on the sidelines for too long.

You're right... the difference between your first part of the B part and mine is the first chord - you play A minor, I play A major. The melody is pretty much the same.

I don't know that the "official" chord is. Most of the versions posted here use the A minor chord. I like both versions - the minor chord keeps the song's mood, the major chord is like a little burst of joy.

Cool! If I do backup, I'll do a major chord too..........I love tunes with minor melodies but major chords.

mandomayer, your work is up on the MP page. will have a listen later. thanks for the post!

craig

I've just listened to Mandomayer's version, which is really lovely. Very full sound, with chords and ringing harmony notes thrown into the melody. Great stuff. You have a very smooth picking sound with a nice soft tone.

I've also gone through the other versions now, which are all very good (and all taking the tune much faster than I did except for the jazzy improv version by c3hammer). I particularly like Jimini Picket's version. Great clean tone and
    a strong driving rhythm (at both speeds) without having to overdub rhythm chords. I prefer recordings without overdubs and this one is pretty much perfect in that category.

Susanne -- did you upload a version? I thought from Mandomayer's comments above that he had listened to your version, but I can't find it on either Yahoo or MP site.

Martin

No, I haven't uploaded anything yet, but I talked some about my version so I think he knows which one I'm using.
    I haven't been able to practice a lot. Work has exhausted me too much. They say my unit and one more has had the toughest summer of the whole hospital. Yesterday I felt for the first time since 9 weeks that I actually like my job. Today was the first day shift since 9 weeks that I have actually been able to have lunch break AND go home before 4.30 pm, even without feeling stressed.
    I've played some but not very focused.

Mandomayer, that's a great version. It almost sounds like you have some cross picking going on at the end of the B part.

I've never been able to play chords and make them sound like anything but noise. I've tried, but it just comes out as junk, especially with these tunes in a minor key.

One of these tunes I'll try to due a fiddle mando duet. So far I can't play the fiddle well enough to make any thing but scratching on the blackboard.

It's been great to work on tone with the beat and recording. The tape never lies

Cheers,
    Pete

Hi y'all. I posted my take on CFM on the Yahoo Group site. I apologize for the recording quality. It wasn't terribly professional in the original Audacity project file, but I got a little extra gain or something when I mixed it to an .mp3 file. It came out a little fuzzy. I'll try to redo it maybe this weekend if I can. I finally had a couple hours to spend on it this evening though, so I figured I'd better post what I have just in case I don't get to clean it up.

Anyway....me on mando & guitar. Needs more work, but I learned a new song!

Great job everyone so far, BTW!! You guys are awesome!

Martin,
    Thanks for the kind words...mine would have had backup (as all my posts would have), but I still can't get Audacity backup tracks to line up without alot of sweat and toil of me moving the tracks back and forth with the 'time adjust tool' (or whatever it's called). A suggestion was made by a friend (recording whiz, too) that I should have the program on one drive (C:\ for instance), but the tracks sent to another drive (D:\ for instance, if I had one); that that would help the played-back tracks line up better with the newly recorded tracks. I don't have that luxury yet, so all my tracks will be solo.

Jim

I have posted my first try at this yesterday and would be grateful for any feedback. As many have commented before, this forum is a great idea. Trying to get a decent run-through recorded is a good goal to work towards.

mTeresko -

Beautiful solo effort. Your picking is nice and clean, and the feeling of the tune is really there - soulful and plaintive.

Sometimes I would like to hear your notes ring longer - you get such a pretty tone out of that mandolin of yours. Maybe just a stylistic preference - sometimes the ringing of a note can fill space better than anything.

Glad you took the plunge. May I ask about specs... mandolin? pick?

MTeresko I like it a lot! You're leaning on all the right notes and it has a nice drive. I'd say you've got it down.
    Do tell -what kind of mando, and what pick, just curious. It sounds very nice
    best
    jgwoods
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

Shane, no need to apologize! (my recordings are 10 times worse)
    I enjoyed your "date" between mandolin and guitar so much. I don´t know why, I just dig it when the guitar is having it´s turn after the mandolin, and then back to the mandolin again. It is all so very clean, and you do a such a nice "handover" from the guitar to the mando. Love it! Details speak! Give us some more.

What a beautiful sound you get out of your instrument, Mteresko. Are you playing a 60 years old flatback? I´m curious too.

Søren / sjusk

Thanks so much for the kind words! I am playing a Rigel A+ with Gibson monels and a Wegen M150. If anyone is interested in the recording details (I'm turning into a recording equipment junkie, though on a pretty tight budget), I used a MXL 603 mic, ran it through a ART OPL tube preamp into an Aardvark USB3 interface to my laptop running Adobe Audition. I thought that audio quality came out pretty good, although I must confess to adding just the slightest amount of reverb with my software to give the sound a little more "room".

Mteresko- nice job...you even got the 3-7-3 reach on the 2nd part that I could never get cleanly!!

Shane- sounds real nice going back and forth from mando to guitar; makes me wish I could get mine to overdub and line up...inspires me to try another program and see if I have better luck; heck, I've got mando, guitar, bass, fiddle, and now b@nj* laying around (although I haven't fully learned how to play all of them <g&gt

Happy Pickin'
    Jim

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

jimini_pickit, I'd love to hear a track with all your instruments. I've got a lot of respect for fiddle players. Getting that bow to coax out a good sound is NOT easy.

Mandomayer, what a great performance! You've got a great feel for this tune, just perfect in my book!

Mteresko, you're clean, steady, and true. I read Jim'd comment the pinky stretch, and I'll confess that I'm switching positions there and using my two middle fingers to play a double-stop of the A and then and E below on the A-string (7th). I find it easier, and better sounding. But, I can certainly see the practice advantage in making use of the picky whenever possible.

Shane, Great feel, and nice guitar work, too. (I'm just starting to feel like I can take some leads on guitar, but I'm not smooth like you're playing) I also like the warm muted tone you've put to your mandolin. What sort of make is it?

- Benig

Thanks, Benig. The mando I'm playing now is a beautiful Kentucky KM350s.

I sold my MK (that was a pretty decent mando) in order to buy some tools and wood to try to build one myself. I then bought the KM350s for $199 on eBay to have something to play in the mean time. I havn't gotten started building yet, but I hope to in the next month or so. This may prove to be a huge mistake, but what the heck? I'm pretty confident that I can at least end up with equal fit and finish as I had on the MK. Hopefully, the tone will be at least as good too. Maybe I'll get lucky and come out even better. I won't hold my breath for Dudenbostel quality though - at least not until #2

The guitar I play is a good one. It's an Alvarez Yiari - about 18 years old. I bought it new, and it's a keeper.

The Kentucky mando is not all that bad. It needs a new bridge, and I plan to radius the fretboard and refret with larger frets.

Wish me luck! I hope I don't just butcher a bunch of good wood.

Way to go, Shane - building your own mando!
    Tipping my hat.

How about - once when you get started - posting a picture now and then of the process? I am more than interested.
    Being a south paw, I have often played with the idea of building my own mando; not that many lefties out there to choose among.

What has kept me from starting the process, is the thought of all that saw dust I´ll make....and probably nothing much else.

Good luck!

Søren / sjusk

behind teh ball here, but downloading a few here at home today (56k). I got shane's and mtersko. Both beautiful versions! They're great. Mtereskos is so clean - if I were to play it that clean I'd be really happy. Shane2mc's was awesome with the electric tone.
    Alan

picksnbits,

clean and simple. i like it. you added just enough additional flavor to make it interesting, yet kept it raw so we can really hear your picking. the slides are well chosen. thanks for sharing!

shane,

definitely a stand alone recording. we'll can add this one to our bluegrass playlist without realizing it's an amateur recording. the guitar adds just enough back-up. fine picking on your part.

mteresko,

your recording came out great! i really like the tone you've produced on this recording. whatever pick, strings and mando combo you've got going, it's working great for you. keep it up!

mandomayer,

sweet! nice combination of triplets and slides. i especially like the trio of slides you do up the neck. works perfectly for this song!

great job everyone!

cheers,

craig

I just found this site a couple weeks ago. #I've played guitar for longer than I wish to remember, but only took up mandolin in January (New Year's resolution). #I couldn't resist learning this tune. #I can play the melody pretty well but I still am not great with the chords. I'll post a version soon but I'm not sure about the best method of making an mp3, short of using the mic on my computer. I can borrow a old cassette tape 4-track. How do you guys do it?
    Breedlove Cascade

Hi lightningbug,

Check out the link on the project site to Audacity (also thread or two here on it). It's a recording software program that's pretty easy to use. There are others as well. You can plug a mic into your computer and record digitally that way. No need for the old Tascam. If you're comfortable on the computer and with a 4-track, then you shouldn't have many problems getting a recording done with Audacity.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.