Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boston

Default Re: Boston

Glad to see a weekly beginner's jam starting. I was in that position two years ago and now I'm going out to ten a month. Check back on the Boston-Area's group site [as well as this thread] from time to time to see new developments - I've proposed a summer picnic picking party - all suggestions welcome.

Tonight is our first Boston Beginners Mandojam meeting.. In case anyone wants to come last minute. Let me know
    and = My Loves

I'm way out in Littleton and have kids, so it's a bit of a challenge to get into Allston, but believe me... I wish I could have attended.

Fill us in. How did it go? How many folks showed up? Was it fun? Productive?
    You can't have just one...

Quote Originally Posted by solarbean View Post
    I'm way out in Littleton and have kids, so it's a bit of a challenge to get into Allston, but believe me... I wish I could have attended.

Fill us in. How did it go? How many folks showed up? Was it fun? Productive?
    It was great! I only got to go for a little while, as I had to get home to prep for a work thing, but there were...what...six of us? We had a lot of fun trying to make Fisher's Hornpipe, Rights of Man, and Red Haired Boy sound good. Or at least, sound like we were all playing the same thing at the same time...and I think we pretty much accomplished that. We don't have a next date/location planned yet, but I think we picked new tunes to work on, and there's a google group (mentioned earlier in this thread I believe?) so feel free to join it if you'd like to - then at least you'll know when we're meeting.

I'm going to have to drive up from Rhode Island for one of these jams sometime. I just have to get my mandolin built first! I figured no sense in buying one to learn on when I can build one easily enough...

Don Williams

Thumbs up Re: Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Wax View Post
    I'm reviving this thread because registration for the Cape Cod Mandolin camp (http://nemandolins.com/Camp-reg.html) has just opened. Anyone been there before? Care to share experiences?
    Yes, I was at CCMC last year and the year before too. I love it. It caters to all skill levels and all musical styles (you can count on bluegrass, klezmer, celtic, classical, choro, swing/jazz/blues).

The location is great (Cape Cod after all the tourists leave). The food is great. The cabins are very nice. The price is a bargain for what you get. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Search on "CCMC" on these forums and you'll see more of my comments on it.

I signed up for the google group and I'm up for a beginners jam. I'm definitely a beginner on the mandolin.

Just signed up for the google group. Looking forward to the jam.

Thanks for your take on CCMC, jfbrown42. I already signed up for it! Thankfully, I have a place to stay on the Cape, so I can shave a little off the price tag. I'm sure it's worth it either way though. And yes, wonderful to be on the Cape off-season. The best times to be there are pre-Memorial Day in May and early October.

edit: By the way, did anyone check out Rhonda Vincent at Johnny D's yesterday? She has one hell of a guitarist. That guy has Tony Rice flowing through his veins.

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

U Mass Boston has mandolin lessons and jam sessions happening all day on June 13th - check it out. I heard it advertised on WUMB 91.9 FM

Pardon the thread necromancy.

Bostonians, Canterbridgians, Somervillains, etc.: for anyone who is not aware, The Punch Brothers (Thile's current band), are playing at the Somerville Theater on October 17. I just bought three tickets, and it looks like there are perhaps a dozen left. Just a heads up so you have no excuse to miss the most accomplished avant chamber grass super group out there.

RE: SLOW JAM and knowing how to JAM: I haven't playing that long and don't get to practice enough but I went to Grey Fox and I took the slow jam...and it really helped me to jam to songs I don't know....the slow jam I originally took was for guitar...the BASIC THEORY WAS...reviewing the I, IV and V of every key, and the minor VI, and in bluegrass that is going to be mostly what is played. So if you know the key, you can anticipate the chords to songs you may not know. I jammed with my mandolin a lot at Grey Fox till 4am with a group of folks and there was a bass, some guitars, mandolins and fiddles and it was a blast. I was able to follow along playing the 4 finger chord chops to about 98% of the songs. Last year I was only playing the two finger chords...so I was quite pleased to have been able to play the four finger chops....bluegrass is easier to jam a long with because of the simplicity of the songs. At the slow jam we went over the simple theory of the I, IV, V, and minor VI, then we played along...and got used to playing without always knowing the song. This is a great skill to develop and it is far easier for bluegrass and it works for any simple songs that are the basic chords for jamming. I have not yet played any lead...I was asked if I wanted to and I declined...maybe I will be able to do that next year! This works if you have someone who is leading the song...I started out on the edge of the group jamming along and then moved in closer when I sensed that I could do it and I was welcome.

Congrats on your good time...you're right, too. A little theory goes a long way in most settings...
    Chuck