Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Tom Paxton fans?

Default Re: Any Tom Paxton fans?

Last time I saw Tom Paxton in Rochester, he was joined by Eric Weissberg, who did a separate set and then backed Tom up. Of course Weissberg was required to play Dueling Banjos, and Paxton did a creditable guitar lead on the back-and-forth part. No one will ever accuse him of being a flashy picker, but it was fun to see him trading licks with Weissberg.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Tom Paxton came over to the UK several times at the height of his career. I went to see him at a Folk Club held at pub called the "Two Brewers" in Salford (part of Manchester UK),one of the Folk Clubs i used to play at. He arrived & was really p****d off at not having a taxi cab sent to pick him up at his Hotel to bring him to the club.He was telling the guy that runs the club that if he came over here to 'fill up our club for us ...." etc. It had to be pointed out to him that the club was full to bursting every Sunday night, whether he was there or not. After that little altercation was out of the way,he settled down & played one of the finest sets of contemporary folk music it's ever been my joy to witness,he was terrific & a nice guy to talk to,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Tom's going to be at the Wood Theater in Glens Falls NY on April 17. It's a production of Caffe Lena, the legendary folk club in Saratoga Springs.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

No one mentioned "Talking Pop Art" which was one of my favorites. Here's my Tom Paxton story: I went to see him at the Gaslight in Greenwhich Village. Somehow I ended up sitting in the seats just ahead of those reserved for friends of the performer. (I didn't know that then) The young lady with me was not familiar with the music. At some point there was a young man sitting behind us who was singing harmony, quietly along with Tom. My friend turned to him at and said that he had a nice voice. He responded, "Thank you. Tom sings a little lower than I do, so it's easy to harmonize." I found out later from another friend who was taking banjo lessons from the backup guitar/banjo player whose name was Mark something, that Dylan had been in the audience that night. So my friend had told Bob Dylan he had a nice voice!
    Daniel Kaufman

i'm a fan but ... nolo bene - as with him and any other folk/protest singer, it would be wise to keep discussion as general as possible. with his political leanings and recent songs in mind - positive mention of a specific song can cause consternation and gnashing of teeth ... leading to puce, red-button censure.

- bill*

Quote Originally Posted by bgjunkie View Post
    I also want to do his "May the Turtle Be Unbroken" one time at a jam to see folk's reactions.
    While searching for something else I stumbled on this old thread. Just to give credit where it's due; the words to "May the Turtle Be Unbroken" were written by Les Barker, a very funny many. He has numerous great clips on You Tube but not "turtle" as far as I can see.

Always - been a fan. T'was just listening to him the AM which I had not done in awhile, but he's in my iTunes list for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    And the grassers embraced TP, from early Country Gentlemen (Where I'm Bound) to Clarence White (Last Thing On My Mind).
    More recently, Junior Sisk flat out nails Where I'm Bound (IMO) singing it with Wyatt Rice and Santa Cruz on their only album.