Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nyberg AmazonRW/Engelmann Cittern build thread...

Default Nyberg AmazonRW/Engelmann Cittern build thread...

When I decided to sell my Sobell (coco/Euro spruce) because I worried about it every time I took it out of the case, and couldn't stand to see it get its first dent at some of the "livelier" places our group plays, I determined to hunt another carved-top OM. After lots of homework on the 'Cafe and elsewhere on the web, some conversations with owners, and a couple of wonderful phone conversations with him, I settled on Lawrence Nyberg http://www.guitarmaker.ca/ctoctavemandolin.htm for the build. The Sobell sold quickly and so I placed an order with Lawrence. Together we picked this gorgeous set of Amazon Rosewood and a nice creamy yet striped Engelmann top, and the instrument will also feature some cool bindings, a laminated neck, and some other intriguing and unique things thanks to Lawrence's artistry and expertise.

Knowing that folks here always appreciate these people who turn wood into playable art, I thought to start a build thread to keep all apprised.

Oh, and in the mean time, because I am having so much fun with my Fylde (cedar over IRW) cittern, Lawrence and I decided to add another course to the Nyberg and make it a cittern that will serve both the OM and the cittern functions (so my Fylde will be for sale, very reluctantly on my part, some time soon).

I'll keep you all posted if there is interest...

THANKS, Lawrence!

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3723.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	39053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	39054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG 
Views:	366 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	39055  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	39056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3733.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	39057  

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Default Re: Nyberg AmazonRW/Engelmann Cittern build thread...

Thanks Mark, and Lawrence!

"Carved tops" on OMs, zouks and citterns is one of the components that is, I think, least understood among us and often brings out questions when it comes up in threads.

When I first began to learn about these instruments 'carved, arched or flat top?' was one of my
    first questions. I remember that the costs of carved-top instruments were more than the others,
    and that only a handful of builders made fully carved tops, Mr. Nyberg being one of them.

Thanks,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Quote Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
    I'll keep you all posted if there is interest...
    Mark
    Let me assure you Mark, there is GREAT interest! Congrats on taking the plunge.

I think you'll be happy Mark. I've had my Nyberg for about 3 or 4 years and I love it. Congrats, and keep those pics coming.
    Danny

Thanks for the kind words, folks...I'm sure that Lawrence appreciates them as well. I'll keep posting whatever pictures he sends my way.

And Danny, your experience was one of the reasons I placed the order-- happy it has brought you so much joy.

Mark

Time for an update, given a new batch of photos from Lawrence...he reports that he is carving the top and forming the shell, and that "Amazon Rosewood smells a little like celery and sugar and spicy..Similiar to cocobolo in smell, not as oily." He also reports that he is "looking forward to its sonorous sound...." As am I!

We decided on a laminated neck (mah/maple/rosewood/maple/mah) and that will I think be a splendid choice, and on an ebony peghead overlay with the very cool Nyberg logo. And you can see that Lawrence uses a blend of traditional and modern building tools and techniques....

All of this so far is looking so classy, confirming everything I know about Lawrence's work. He is great about keeping in touch and sending progress reports, and most of all in collaborating in building what I am certain will be a splendid and a lifetime instrument.

Will keep you posted...

THANKS, Lawrence.

Name:	BackGlueUpSmall.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	40589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopGlueUpSmall.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	40590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SidesSmall.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	40591  

Name:	NeckGlueUpSmall.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	40592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeckSideSmall.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	40593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PegheadSmall.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	40594  

Awesome! This is really fun to watch.

When I was deciding who to commission for my OM, I had narrowed it down to Brian Dean and Lawrence Nyberg. I ended up going with Brian largely for reasons of being drawn to his aesthetic style, and I'm happy with the result. But I have wondered what I might have missed in an instrument from Lawrence, and I am definitely an admirer of his work!

Thanks for sharing this.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Yeah Mark, keep the pics and comments coming. I can't wait to see it come together. Mmm. Mmm. Tasty looking wood.

And thanks for the encouragement, Karen and Steve. Aren't we lucky to live in a time when so many people are building playable art? Here are some pictures today from Lawrence. As you can see he has the top on and is moving on to the back tomorrow and we're making some binding choices. He has some very interesting possibilities, and says:

A bunch of these are samples of choices I came up with so far for binding. By default for this combo I would usually try ebony (a safe bet) but see what you think of the others. I like them all. The lacewood is pretty wild looking. Also I included a shot of Lauro Preto, a brazilian wood species. It is something I used to use a lot many years ago. It has an interesting cross-fleck. Whatever is chosen would also have some type of purfle along the edge and on the top side as I always do. Let me know what you think or if you have any other thoughts on this or suggestions. I will be glueing on the back today so binding is next.

I've included some pics (in order: Holly, Maple, Koa, Lacewood, Laura Prieto, Ebony) and would appreciate perspectives...I'm thinking we either want to do contrast (ebony, maybe with red-brown purfling lines) or complimentarity (that lacewood looks cool, with ebony purfling lines) but who knows...anybody?

Mark

Name:	holly.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	40657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maple.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	40658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koa.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	40659  

Name:	lacewood.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	40660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lauro preto.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	40661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebony.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	40662  

The top gluing, and the back seam glue-up:

Name:	glueing top.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	40673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glueing seam liner.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	40674  

Mark,
    That's great that Lawrence gives you so much choice and takes the time to juxtapose the different woods. My choice would be the ebony binding (not very avant garde, I know). What is your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Mark,
    That's great that Lawrence gives you so much choice and takes the time to juxtapose the different woods. My choice would be the ebony binding (not very avant garde, I know). What is your favorite?
    Yes, Steve...as Karen pointed out as well it's a great thing to work with builders who wan to collaborate, and Lawrence is certainly one (and my unfortunately limited interactions with Brian Dean suggest that he is as well).

For now I think I'm leaning toward lacewood....it would go with the overall aesthetic without being too far-out. But we'll see!

Mark

Mark - Excellent choice. The lacewood is exotic looking and contrasts nicely. This is fun...

I think that Lacewood looks awesome.

I have a Larrivee parlour guitar with Rosewood B/S and spruce top. It has maple binding. The guitar is now a couple of yewars old and the spruce top has darkened considerably. The maple is darkening much slower and I think it will never darken to that deep auburn-pumpkin color that tops tend to. So, in essence, the contrast in the maple binding will tend to get more prominent with age.

Any ideas on how the lacewood will age?
    You can't have just one...

Hi, folks...turns out that the lacewood wouldn't bend properly without scorching (that's apparently a problem with figured wood and tight bends), so we settled on some nicely figured curly maple. And I bet that it will darken and contrast fine, Solarbean...sounds like a very cool guitar you got there!

More pictures/reports forthcoming!

Mark

Pics eagerly awaited

One of the benefits of maple is that it is very very hard, so it should serve its purpose well as a protective edge-cover for the little lady.

and a perhaps last set of pre-finish pics, received just now from Lawrence along with this update: The body has been porefilled now and I am putting on the first top coats today. As well I am carving the neck. I reckon I should have it on it's way to you in maybe 3 weeks or so. VERY exciting, and looking good (the figured maple is a great binding choice, I think)

I'll take and pass along some finished pictures and maybe even an inadequate sound sample on arrival...

Mark

Name:	binding.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	41167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fretboard.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	41168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glueing back.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	41169  

I'm loving that stripe along the back. Please post when she arrives. Love to hear her!

Looking great, Mark, I can imagine how excited you must be about this baby!

I'm surprised that the lacewood was a problem, I've seen (and played) a lacewood mandolin whose sides must have had a smaller radius of curve than your cittern. But I'm sure the maple will be beautiful anyway.

Fliss

Default It's here!!!!!

As of 3:34 today, packed as impeccably as it was built. Here it is:

and...

and a few final more...

Thas awful perty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stout1
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome
    hey!! I got my own Syndrome!!!!

and my initial impressions:

Wonderful woods...the Amazon Rosewood with its sapwood strip and figured sides is so classy, the maple bindings make for an interesting yet subtle transition and highlight the gorgeous compound curves of Lawrence's work (you can see them in some of the pictures above), the milky Engelmann top is so clear and perfect, the tiled rosette is classy and elegant, the five-piece neck with clear-grained mahogany flanking an innner purfled strip of rosewood, the purfling lines (on the top, sides, back, and along the fingerboard) work just right, the headplate overlay...

Build quality is among the very best I've seen: joints are perfect, finish is very close to perfect and allows the beauty of the wood to show through, the interior clean-up is spotless.

The details (the logo, the alternating fingerboard dots, that terrific tailpiece) are all just right. My only regret is not going with Gotoh minis but that may be a future upgrade.

Set-up is perfect, with even action, no buzzing, and intonation spot-on all over the neck.

and TONE! Whatever Lawrence is doing with all of those compound curves and with the body shape and bracing and plate thicknesses, it's working. I have only played the instrument an hour or so and will pass along a soundclip at the soonest opportunity, but it's balanced and rich and clear top to bottom. What a great and musical cittern, as pretty to look at as it is to play and hear.

Lawrence certainly gets, along with my heartfelt thanks for collaborating with me on building this instrument, an enthusiastic and unreserved (and unsolicited, of course) recommendation from me.

Off to practice!

Mark

Congratulations Mark. It's breathtaking. The wood is exquisite and the special touches simply elegant. That tailpiece is intriguing - I can't tell if the pattern and color are a reflection or some type of rock inlay. The tone and playability must be icing on the cake! Yes, soundclips please.

Thanks for your kind words, Martin and Steve. It's a world-class instrument, indeed, and I'm going to cherish it for a long time (and you can quote me on that).

Here is Lawrence's page on the very cool custom tailpiece he uses, made in collaboration with a local jeweller apparently. The reflection on mine is from some creekside leaves...

MK