Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip Pick Maintenance

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blue Chip Pick Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Now how do you know that!?
    Reminds me of; "Have you lived here all your life?"
    "Not yet."
    Well I suppose you are right. But for the amount of time and how hard I play it, and it shows absolutely no wear, and if I plot zero wear per year on a curve of wear vs. years, it looks pretty close to for ever.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    For what some of those picks cost, they should wash themselves and then clean your strings too!
    For how they make the mandolin sound, I would replace them once a year or oftener if I had to.

I will squeeze a nickle till the buffalo grimaces, on groceries, and household things, underwear, etc. But three things I see no point in trying to save money on: tires, brakes, and mandolin picks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Originally Posted by Mike Bunting
    Now how do you know that!?
    Reminds me of; "Have you lived here all your life?"
    "Not yet."
    Well I suppose you are right. But for the amount of time and how hard I play it, and it shows absolutely no wear, and if I plot zero wear per year on a curve of wear vs. years, it looks pretty close to for ever
    Well I quite agree with you, I've used mine daily for close to a year and it's basically the same as when I bought it and it doesn't shrink in the wash!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    For how they make the mandolin sound, I would replace them once a year or oftener if I had to.

I will squeeze a nickle till the buffalo grimaces, on groceries, and household things, underwear, etc. But three things I see no point in trying to save money on: tires, brakes, and mandolin picks.
    I hear ya,Jeff. The Blue Chip is money well-spent. Period. $35 seems like a steal now that I have one.

Never thought I would spend $38 (including shipping) for a pick, but all the discussions about Blue Chip picks got my curiosity up and I ordered a TPR60. It is a lot to spend for one pick (don't plan letting anyone borrow it) and I have not tried every pick out there, but this is the best pick I have used and don't regret the purchase one bit (until I lose it, will be plenty of regret then).
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ksmandocat View Post
    ... It is a lot to spend for one pick (don't plan letting anyone borrow it)...
    Would you at least let me try it at the KBA festival so I can see what all the fuss is about?

GVD

Two words - tooth paste.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by GVD View Post
    Would you at least let me try it at the KBA festival so I can see what all the fuss is about?

GVD
    I should have qualified the statement that Mando Cafe members are the exception to this rule.
    Dave

I had been washing my Blue Chip(TAD-3R-60) with dish-soap;but,I think that it may be a little harsh(?) "Dawn".

Anyroad,I using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint,exclusively,from now on. ALL-ONE...

Why take a chance?

Even when it went thru the washing machine,that soap left a waxy film. Cleaned with Dr.B. GTG

Storm a comin' gotta run.

Yup! Blue Chip picks are worth the money. IMHO ... I sure hope I never lose my TPR60... But if I do I would not hesitate in ordering another. As a matter of fact I've been getting those feelings again to purchace another one anyway. About the time I'm almost convinced to order another ... I think ... wait a minute ... this ones gonna last for ever. It's not really the 38 bucks holding me back because I've never enjoyed a pick as much as this one. They are great! And if lost I would really miss it.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

OMG! I just washed my BC pick!!!! Wow! It's new again... Thanks Ken!
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

There's a new Facebook page in support of these wonderful BlueChip Picks:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BlueCh...ks/57700862905

...Dean Arnold's idea.

Got mine yesterday and it's just a joy to play.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    For what some of those picks cost, they should wash themselves and then clean your strings too! My 35 cent Fender Extra Heavy picks are waterproof, never need washing, cleaning, sanding, chewing or any kind of stickum to do what they were designed for, as well as I like them to. If I lose one or something goes wrong with it, I don't care, I just get another one out of my case.
    That's great for you. But we've all used Fender picks and if it was the ideal pick for everyone, no one would be coming up with innovations like the BC. A Fender Extra Heavy is fine, but for me, the Blue Chip is a far better pick and worth the money. I've had mine for months and haven't had to do any maintenence. I wipe it down with the same cloth I use to wipe my strings off. It's no trouble whatsoever.

I just polished out some scratches on the bevel of my blue chip using some super fine sand paper. Started with 1000 grit and then finished off with 2000. The pick lost its shine but my tone is right back to when it was new. I suppose I could put some car polish on it to get it shiny again. Just make sure you follow the shape of the bevel when yo sand it. Otherwise you'll change the shape of the pick.

I have had my BC TAD 50 -1R for five years and I just did polish the bevel and it looks brand new. I bought a nail polish foam block from a local beauty supply shop for $3.00 and it works just fine.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Mostly the Bill Monroe 'spit on the finger & thumb' method works fine,
    I was going to ask what kind of soap Bill used....
    Living’ in the Mitten

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... being a fiddler and mandolinist ..... I keep foil wrapped alcohol wipes in my case to clean the rosin build up off the strings of my fiddle. They work well on cleaning flat picks too. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I take my pick to the Loo (WC), and wash it with soap & water along washing with my hands ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

When my picks get slippery I just dip them in cyanoacrylate and hold them between my picking fingers for a few seconds. No more slipping! They'll stay that way for up to a week if I let them. Of course, all I can do is play mandolin, but hey...

And after they do finally come loose, the picks have my fingerprints on them for months, it helps with gripping and identification.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Does anyone know why it works so well with these picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post
    A little while back I posted about my puppy(Sadie) chewing up my Dudenbostel peg-winder. Yesterday she got up on the desk and got a 60,big ,rounded tri-point Blue Chip in her mouth then hid under the bed chewing it!

Took me a while to figure out why she was soooo quiet(except for that lick/click sound that I remembered was what it sounded like when she was eating a favorite CD of mine...totally destroyed.

All she could do was put a little non-skid surface on the pick,very slight indentations.
    I washed it;and,it is better than ever. The bevels are still smooth.

Keep em clean,don't lose em. Best pick I ever had. And REALLY tough.
    If you own a Tilley hat you've read their story about the elephant that ate the zoo keeper's hat (a Tilley) a couple times. After a couple days it came out the other end a bit dirtier than it went in but after a wash it is still doing its job.