Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Videos

Default Re: Bluegrass Videos

Slim, that's a joy to see! I remember that band that year! Sad to realize that they are all dead. I miss the gentle nature of Ralph's stage presence and "All 250 lbs." of Jack Cooke.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

And when you're a Bluegrasser and get married, this is what the reception/party looks like!

1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

The application of copious amounts of adult beverages will tend to make this kind of thing happen!
    Nice one Nick!
    Timothy F. Lewis

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

I think it's just Country folk being who they are, not sobriety related to me

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    As far as the music goes Nick, you're probably right.
    But the clogging?.... I know I'd have to pretty oiled up to try that...and the defibrillator charged up and ready to go. Clear!!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

10. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Another inadvertent double post
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

The cloggers are really good but, most (not all) that I know who clog with that’s much impact tend to be pretty well oiled. There wasn’t any clogging at my wedding but we did have a guy try to joiN in on bagpipes! There was spirited music that night to be sure.
    Maybe to really clog that well one is supposed to be just slightly loose,not oiled beyond traction.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Well guys, Monroe danced everywhere out of sheer joy, and he rarely drank...

Now that’s a very, very astute point! Thanks Nick
    Timothy F. Lewis

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I agree with Nick...I doubt that well-oiled dancers could have negotiated such a small dance floor in the middle of the music-makers. Looked kinda like Bluegrass and Riverdance collaborated.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

17. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

And when you're a Bluegrasser and get married, this is what the reception/party looks like!
    ]
    That reminded me of this, which is what an Oldtime wedding looks like:

Apologies for getting off the bluegrass topic!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A 4 For This Useful Post:

Interesting, I’m not sure I could get that many fiddle players together for my wake even with an open bar!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Thread Bump:

Self-serving I know!...but I'm in a hurry and at least the energy on this one is worth posting...

Good one Nick! It’s been a lousy week, I needed a new splash in this pool!
    Timothy F. Lewis

23. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

This is a gem I found from JD Crowe & The New South

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

I’m surprised no one has put up “Paddy on the Turnpike” for today, but, it’s still early.
    I was up early so FHS got me started with lighting the smoker for the smoked corned beef and the crockpot for the “simmered dinner” more traditional feast. Cooler full of Guinness, half a bottle of Jameson’s for salutations, it will be a good feast St. Patrick’s Day!
    Erin go bragh!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I’m surprised no one has put up “Paddy on the Turnpike” for today, but, it’s still early...
    Here ya go Tim!

I knew all I had to do was drop the bait!
    Fish on!!
    Notice,he’s playong the Aaron Cowell’s Prototype!
    Corned beeves cooking along nicely, fire in the fireplace, wife happy, it’s a good feast day in Lent!
    Timothy F. Lewis

29. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

There's a thread titled "Where Is Bluegrass Headed"...I don't know but at its core, Monroe is the tree-trunk, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers, Jimmy Martin, Jim & Jesse, etc. are the branches off the trunk, and as you go out further from the trunk, the more variation exists!

I prefer the trunk, and this video perfectly exemplifies what Bluegrass is at it's core: Scotch-Irish Folk and Fiddle traditions melded with Appalaichan Blues sensibilities, further melded with African-rhythm influenced Banjo: all resulting in a HAPPY dance oriented participatory music idiom; not one to sit around and gawk at virtuosity, but to participate on all levels. This is what transpired on the pickin porch in Appalaicha after long hard work days/weeks! If you still don't get it, there's really nothing more to be said, but I do!

Late in the evening about sundown high on the hill and above the town, Uncle Pen played fiddle, Lord how it would ring! You could hear it talk, you could hear it sing...

Sorry for the graininess of the video, from 3rd hand sources, the audio quality is pretty good

Gee Nick, I was all set to watch that and it’s appears to be blocked! No problem, I can wait for another pearl from you.
    Botanically speaking, maybe WSM is the root, and the trunk is the rest of the first generation developers including those you mention, and they are still strong limbs but, as in any family tree, some branches will wither, allowing others to grow.

Limbs will be trimmed, as long as there is still healthy connection to the root we can hold out hope and faith for the new growth.
    I have got to find a pot of gold somewhere to finance a road trip to meet face to face with so many of you members! Serious US road trip and then the UK visit!
    Timothy F. Lewis

32. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Boy that was quick from the YouTube police, it's on my Facebook page...

Gee Nick, I was all set to watch that and it’s appears to be blocked! No problem, I can wait for another pearl from you.
    Same here Nick, Timothy took the words right out of my mouth.

Limbs will be trimmed, as long as there is still healthy connection to the root we can hold out hope and faith for the new growth.

Makes sense to me Tim. But I can't help hearing the echo of Chauncey Gardner.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Here it is again Boys...should be up for a little bit...

There's a thread titled "Where Is Bluegrass Headed"...I don't know but at its core, Monroe is the tree-trunk, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers, Jimmy Martin, Jim & Jesse, etc. are the branches off the trunk, and as you go out further from the trunk, the more variation exists!

I prefer the trunk, and this video perfectly exemplifies what Bluegrass is at it's core: Scotch-Irish Folk and Fiddle traditions melded with Appalaichan Blues sensibilities, further melded with African-rhythm influenced Banjo: all resulting in a HAPPY dance oriented participatory music idiom; not one to sit around and gawk at virtuosity, but to participate on all levels. This is what transpired on the pickin porch in Appalaicha after long hard work days/weeks! If you still don't get it, there's really nothing more to be said, but I do!

Late in the evening about sundown high on the hill and above the town, Uncle Pen played fiddle, Lord how it would ring! You could hear it talk, you could hear it sing...
    Sorry for the graininess of the video, from 3rd hand sources, the audio quality is pretty good

No ceegar again Nick, at least not for me.