Thread: National Silvio in Cafe Classifieds!

Default National Silvio in Cafe Classifieds!

Hi everybody!

I was just drooling over the National Silvio in the Cafe classifieds, and I don't think anyone ever posted what these are like to play. Any thoughts on playability and tone? Mojo?
    Last edited by mikeomando; Jan-27-2009 at 11:02pm. Reason: change misspelling in title...

Default Re: National Silvio in Cafe Classifieds!

15" scale, so it's got the same playability issues as any other vintage National. Mine could use a little tweaking to try and even out the pickup response. It's decent with the tone knob cranked all the way to the treble side. Lots of fun to play through a tube amp on blues and rockabilly stuff.

Let's see ... if I bought this one from John, then I could have one in Yank tuning and one in standard ...

Hm ...

And, uh, Mike, it's spelled "Silvo."
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Just saw it...and I want it...as do many of us/you/we/??? Looking forward to the other pics. Should go well with my '31 Duolian.

Default Re: National Silvo in Cafe Classifieds!

I misspelled "cafe" "assume", and now "Silvo" in the last three days on the Cafe. The shame is unceasing...

Martin, I've never played a National. Does the 15" scale mean tight E strings? Will it fret okay, or do you have to use a slide?

Thanks, and sorry about the misspelling. Really.

The E's are manageable on mine, and the action's quite reasonable. I think I'm using .010s. I had a Kent electric for a while that was nearer 16 inches, and putting E strings on that was an interesting experience.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls