Thread: Amp for SEM-5

Default Amp for SEM-5

I have a new Mann SEM-5 on the way and can't wait till it gets here, but coming from a mostly acoustic background, I really know nothing about amps but want to get the most out of my new electric. What do people suggest/use with their electrics?

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Re: Amp for SEM-5

It really depends on the kind of sound you want, and what kind of situations you're going to be playing in. I like to play loud rock and roll with a slightly overdriven sound and lots of effects, so I use a Fender Hot Rod.

When playing an electric instrument, the amp is going to really color your sound - which is why guitarists are so picky about them. There have been several thorough discussions about this topic, try searching for them, they probably cover what you're after. Good luck!

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I use a Fender Blues Jr that works quite well. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is good too. Especially if you want to play with some dirt.

I have also been looking for an amp. The ones that have caught my ear are Roland Cubes - the 30 and the 60 in particular. Both have nice digital effects built in. Anyone heard or actually used one of these? The Roland acoustic amp sound great too, but about 2X as much as the cube models. I am playing a Mandobird IV btw.
    Johneeaaddgg

Roland's AC 60 [or for more oompf theres an AC-90, now] has proved to be very useful.
    the built in auto feedback reduction lets me use as a nearby monitor /hearing-aide.
    with my acoustic .. with it's bridge inlaid or soundboard pickup .

but some folks gotta have that tube sound..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Roland's AC 60 [or for more oompf theres an AC-90, now] has proved to be very useful.
    the built in auto feedback reduction lets me use as a nearby monitor /hearing-aide.
    with my acoustic .. with it's bridge inlaid or soundboard pickup .

but some folks gotta have that tube sound..
    Has anyone tried the Roland Cubes? They sound pretty good to me. Probably not as good as the acoustic amps, but then the Cube 30 is about 1/3 the price and the 60 a little more than half. I thought the chorus sounded pretty good with the solid body mandolin.
    Johneeaaddgg