Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

Default Re: Light case suggestions for Traveler or other pancakes

Wow, that Breedlove case couldn't fit these mandolins any better -- and Tom's "mystery wood" mandolin is turning out great!

(BTW, someone just posted one of those Concord adjustable cases in the classifieds for half the price of a new one: http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval)
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Feb-18-2009 at 11:54am.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

moderator -- please remove duplicate post (due to flaky ISP issues this AM)
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Feb-18-2009 at 11:54am.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

(moderator -- please remove triplicate post)
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Feb-18-2009 at 11:53am.
    ~ Mark Twain

I have a couple of shaped travelight style cases that fit pancakes (I think) that I was going to put in the classifieds today. PM me you dimensions and I'll measure them. One is new the other used, I bought one for an impending A and one came with an A but they don't fit and look perfect for a pancake.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I'm not so sure now, I just measured it against the Redline dimensions on the first page and it's not a perfect fit but I'd rather try putting an Army Navy in there and see if she goes.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Hi PJ and all --

Yeah, I think either here, or there, or somewhere, someone mentioned that the Travelite was not a good fit for these Travelers. Too bad, really, as the names sort of match...

Not to over-complicate this case/gig bag thing, but I just got 4 cases in today that seem to be another fine option. As mentioned above, I was working with the nice folks over at Access about a case similar to the one that Breedlove used to use, and I noticed these Stage 3 mandolin gig bags. Anyway, they just came in, I put a Traveler in, and once again, a perfect fit!

I'll put some pictures at the bottom of this post. The retail price on these is $109. I'll be selling them for $75, or for a smaller upgrade price if ordered with one of my mandolins. They seem to be real nice gig bags. Not as compact as the Alpine Boulder mando. bags I carry, but they do offer good protection of the instrument, along with plenty of storage space, with handles, straps, and stashes all over the place.

Steve Smith
    www.CumberlandAcoustic.com
    www.RedLineReso.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Stage 3 Gig Bag 002.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	39088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Stage 3 Gig Bag 003.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	39089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Stage 3 Gig Bag 004.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	39090  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Stage 3 Gig Bag 005.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	39091  

I've been looking on ebay for those Breedlove cases and can't seem to find them - did a search for both "Breedlove" and "Mandolin cases" - for you guys who've purchased them, how did you find them there? I also did a search for one of the dealers, Music Warehouse USA as listed by a previous poster, and came up blank there too. Any help greatly appreciated....

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I think I found it here.
    ~ Mark Twain

Thanks a million Jim, you're a star! I swear I looked thru every single mandolin related listing on ebay today and couldn't find that one! Just pulled the trigger on one of those cases a minute ago - as a pancake fan I just couldn't pass it up!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I just received a Pro-Tec Pro Pac case I ordered from Ted's team at Dietz's Music, and it works out well for the Traveler. Thanks to the padding insert below the tailpiece, and the padding in the lid above the tailpiece and neck, the mandolin is nicely cradled with the lid closed. It is a pretty sturdy case for a light case, but it is a little bulkier and heavier than I expected, and its weight seems to be somewhere between a Travellite and a conventional HSC. It doesn't fit it like a glove, as does the Breedlove HSC in the above pics, but it has tons of room for storage in the outside pocket, as well as in the interior gear compartment and in various nooks and crannies inside the case.

Comparing it against the Breedlove case, the Breedlove case has a smaller footprint, and its padding is a better fit for the Traveler; but the Pro Pac has way more room for storage, and I suspect is slightly lighter.

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	39161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	39162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	39163  

~ Mark Twain

Hey Jim,

That looks like a fine case. Your mention of weight caused me to reach for my shipping scale, and since I have two of the cases we have been discussing, here is how they weigh out...

The Access case that Tom bought as Breedlove old stock (the flat-top hard shell case) weighs in at 6 lbs. 3 oz. and the Access Stage 3 soft case, or I guess gig bag, weighs in at 4 lb. 6 oz.

What the heck, while I was at it, I just went ahead and also weighed the Boulder Alpine gig bag, which tips the scale right at two pounds even.

There you have it, pound for pound, some of the best protection around.

Steve Smith
    www.CumberlandAcoustic.com
    www.RedLineReso.com

I just weighed my Pro-Tec, and it weighs in at 6 lbs 14-1/2 oz -- so I guess I can no longer call it a "light case", since the Access/Breedlove HSC weighs less.
    ~ Mark Twain

how much does a calton weigh?

Well my Breedlove case arrived today. I'm quite pleased with it, definitely provides a nice snug fit for pancake type mandolins. My Flatiron 2M fit in it perfectly. I don't actually have another mandolin to live in it yet (the 2M came with it's original case) so this one will either be back up to my 2M's case, home to another pancake type mandolin, or possibly home to an actual Breedlove (I have my eye on a Quartz OF at the moment - played it this weekend and was really impressed...). I have a feeling these cases may have been dumped by Breedlove as "seconds" - some of the glue attaching the lining/foam padding was either under-applied in some spots or sloppily applied in others. Maybe it's just my particular case, who knows. By and large I still feel like it's a quality case and I'm sure I'll get good use out of it, one way or another.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Good news Jill -- I think I may end up ordering one of those as well, although I am trying to find padding inserts to customize the ProTec to my Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Van Hine View Post
    how much does a calton weigh?
    Not sure about the Calton, but I understand the Bobelock shaped fiberglass case weighs in at about 6-1/2 lbs.
    ~ Mark Twain

I was real impressed with the Breedlove case Tom sent me. I didn't notice any flaws on this particular case, only a little bit of the flat black paint had flaked off of the Breedlove badge they had attached to the case. It could probably be fixed with a Sharpie pen.

Since I had heard that Breedlove switched from this style case to one with an arched top, I called them to see if they had, and would be interested in selling old stock. The lady I talked to said they were all gone.

Then, I got back with the Access people, to see if they would make this exact case for me, except maybe with a cool Red Line badge on it. They said that they would be glad to, but I would have to order at least 100 cases. Not out of my range of thought, but a bit past my range of reality at the moment, as this purchase would involve many thousands of dollars.

Luke -- It was a pleasure meeting you at SPBGMA. I have a Calton case at home, but I keep forgetting to bring it to the shop, or bring my scale home to weigh it for you. I'll get that weight to you soon, though, if my scale goes that high!

Jill -- A Red Line Traveler would fit quite nicely in that new case...!

Steve -- would Access sell you a smaller quantity of those cases without the Red Line badge? (If so, maybe you could have someone create the badges for you elsewhere or locally, and then you could add them after you receive the the cases?)
    ~ Mark Twain

Hi Jim --

BADGES..?
    We ain't got no BADGES.
    We don't need no BADGES.
    We don't got to show you no STINKING BADGES!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself there)

Good idea, but they threw the 100 minimum on me before we even talked about badges. Actually, they started talking about a full container at first, as this sort of thing comes from Over There, you know. Actually, I could live without the badge. Either way, what they did at Breedlove was to commit to a large number, and have so many sent every once in a while. These Traveler's are selling quite briskly, but not fast enough for me to commit to a huge amount of these cases.

Speaking of cases, Travelers, and such, here's a shot of one that I sent on its way yesterday, snug-as-a-bug in its new, recycled Breedlove case...

Name:	Lamarche in Case Small.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	39283  

Steve,
    I agree - a Redline Traveler would look good in my new Breedlove case! Just sent you an email with a color scheme idea....

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I still have not found the perfect light case for these mandolins, but Mickey Cochran is selling the Breedlove cases on eBay now from his old Folk of the Wood stock for only $39.95 plus $15 S&H, so I just ordered one. (I purchased it via auction # 130291541733, but Mickey indicated he still has 5 left, so I suspect he will be posting another such auction now that I bought the single one he had listed.)

I'll still keep working on a light case option, and will keep you posted if I am successful. I suspect I may end up going with a dart/arrow shaped viola case if I can find one that provides a decent fit. (Sometime when I have a day to kill, I plan to make the rounds at the local violin shops to see what I can find.)
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Mar-12-2009 at 11:48am.

I still plan to put some pictures up of my mandolin-banjo in the Breedlove case, but I had to order a USB cord.

Wow, what a deal on that Breedlove case - well done!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

For that price I couldn't pass it up, and though it has less storage than my Pro Tec, it weighs a little less than the Pro Tec, and has a much smaller profile.

Epilogue:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Breedlove case was a perfect fit for my Traveler, as in the first pic below. After getting the case, I did a little cutom work on it: I flipped the Breedlove badge over, discovering that it was brass plated on the back as well, so I asked Steve to send me a Redline headstock decal, which I affixed to the badge, and then sprayed a few coats of clearcoat on top to protect it -- so now I have the world's first Redline badged mandolin case!...

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	40609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	40610  
    ~ Mark Twain

Jim! That is awesome!! You did it pretty fast too. It seems that I just sent you that decal a couple of days ago.

Hey Jill, do you want me to try doing that on your case too? (Jill bought a case just like this and sent it to me to put her new RedLine Gold Top Traveler in).