Thread: Dueling emandos?

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Dueling emandos?

Rock and roll is virtually predicated upon two-guitar bands, and several of the country's favorite rock outfits had three guitar rigs. What about two electric mandolins? I know nobody's gotten famous doing this, but has anyone here had any experience with this, or even tried it out at a jam? I think to make it work, you'd need either a really active, broad bass player, or a guitarist who would be willing to work with the mandolin section to figure things out. I'm just curious...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Default Re: Dueling emandos?

Two words: Back to Back.

OK, three words.

Maybe I need to move to Portland?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I think an 5 string emando player and a 8 string player would be pretty neat playing together.
    Gotta start sometime, might as well be now...

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I had forgotten about Back to Back. I probably need to get that for myself for Christmas or something... But what about high gain mandolins together?

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Duh ... How can I forget U Srinivas and U Rajesh? They have it down to a science. Not to mention the Mandolin Sisters and Raju/Nagamani.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Seth Rosen and Jim Kelley might have done a little twinning in their Western swing band, Crazy Rhythm. Seth was playing a '60s Epiphone electric and an Earnest Jr. Jim mostly played fiddle but had a StewMac 5-string. You reading this, Seth?

Mike Butler holds an annual electric jam in Indianapolis each year as a tribute to Yank Rachell.

I've never seen the whole Austin City Limits episode from 1981, only brief clips. Do Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble, and/or Jethro play together at the same time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I've never seen the whole Austin City Limits episode from 1981, only brief clips. Do Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble, and/or Jethro play together at the same time?
    IIRC, yes.

Daniel

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Emando, e'cello, a bass playa, and maybe a drumma. All ya need!
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Seth Rosen and Jim Kelley might have done a little twinning in their Western swing band, Crazy Rhythm. Seth was playing a '60s Epiphone electric and an Earnest Jr. Jim mostly played fiddle but had a StewMac 5-string. You reading this, Seth?
    I am Martin. Thanks for thinking of me.

Unfortunately, the Crazy Band is no more. We used to do at least one or two twin e-mando numbers in every show. I still play with Kelley sometimes but as an acoustic trio. Mostly I'm working these days as a guitar player, but still play emando in this incarnation:

http://www.myspace.com/sethroquartet

Jim Kelley sometimes sit in on fiddle, but I should tell him to bring that stew-mac the next time!

Well, I think Jim sold the Stew-Mac on eBay...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

FWIW, whenever I've done some recording, the producer/engineers have been so unfamiliar with electric mandolins that they haven't known what to do with my solos. This has happened twice, and each time they took both of my takes and ran them simultaneously to get a twinning effect. This happened years apart in completely different situations, so I wonder if there's a pattern, some collective unconscious dynamic unbeknownst to me, at play here. One time this actually had a pretty cool outcome, esp. with a tuba instead of bass.

So far I have never run across another emando player in a jam, and the only times I've ever even seen a plugged-in mandolin at a gig it was an amplified acoustic mandolin played by either Mindy Jostyn (since, sadly, deceased) or Deni Bonet, and she's really an electric violinist. I would love to trade licks with another emandoist someday, and might have to make the trek to that Yank Rachel tribute.

BTW, I wonder who ended up with Carl Martin's mandolin, recently offered on ebay.

Carl's mando didn't meet the reserve ... dunno what the outcome was.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Carl's mando didn't meet the reserve ... dunno what the outcome was.
    Yeah, that's what I thought would happen. It is probably not in good playing shape, and won't fetch the price the owner wants. That is, its value as a piece of Americana outweighs its worth as a performing instrument. This is conjecture, as I haven't seen it up close, but the pictures showed it has been played, a lot, as if we didn't know that already. It belongs in a museum, where it can be cared for, even if not played. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a museum for instruments that you could play? Like a petting zoo for instrument lovers.

OK, no more coffee for me tonight!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Well, I think Jim sold the Stew-Mac on eBay...

Unfortunately that turned out to be true. You really are the center of knowledge in the emando universe Martin.