Thread: FCGD instaed of GDAE

Default FCGD instaed of GDAE

Hello @all,
    I have to buy a new mandolin as mine had a mistuning problem (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...uning-Problems).
    This problem became worse when I used my own Jazz tuning. Originally I'm a fiddler and I started a few years ago to tune it one tone lower than usual (F-C-G-D instaed of GDAE) which allows me to play Bb instrument sheets. It’s hard with the fiddle to play tunes with more than 2 flats and most Jazz tunes start with three at least. I save two of them when I use this lower tuning and it works fine. I like to do this with the mandolin as well to avoid the confusion of different tunings - BUT I wonder whether a normal (quality) mandolin will stand this without mistuning?! Perhaps someone could help me for a moment by tuning your mando down to FCGD and comparing with a guitar tuner if the tone is still clean or if it's sharpening... that would really be kind!
    Thank you very much,
    Tom

Default Re: FCGD instaed of GDAE

I would think that you could, with some experimentation, put slightly heavier gauge strings on whatever mandolin and as long as you don't revert to the higher pitched tuning, should be just fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love tuning down to FCGD. Its a little closer to my vocal range and IMHO sounds better. I don’t think you’d have any trouble considering it’s only two half steps, but like Jim Garber said, you might want to try a heavier gauge string set. I haven’t had any trouble with it yet and I’ve had it tuned that way for awhile.

Blog Entries

Looking in the wrong direction, I think.

I have the same problem, a violinist/violist who tends to squeeze too hard. I am always tending to play sharp. Much less of a problem on guitar since the wider space between frets means even squeezing hard will not push notes sharp---the deflection angle is smaller.

I simply use high enough tension to resist that effect, and I also make sure the nut is low enough. I would try .011, .015, .024, .040 for single-string electric. (I use .010 and .014).

Even very low frets will still allow squeezing too much. My acoustic has tiny, low frets but I can see that the string is not touching the fingerboard, so I could squeeze too hard if it were single-strung.

On violin there is value is squeezing hard, sometimes, because it makes for a clear, bright tone. No effect on pitch accuracy, although players who are stuck with this habit can't shift smoothly. But we also learn unconsciously that we can make the mandolin speak cleanly if we squeeze, except at the cost of pitch when we are playing electric.

Tuning lower makes this problem worse, allowing more reactivity to squeezing, or requiring even thicker strings with less satisfying tone.

In other words, it's you, not the mandolin, at fault. But you have company.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

you need to make a fretless mandolin?

@ Tom Wright: You hit a part of my main problem! I'm glad to find out that I'm not alone, and as you say, I never had this sharping problem with the guitar. Now as I learned about this here I tried to play my mandolin without squeezing hard just tipping until tone is just clean and this did help a bit (40% of the mistunement) but the remaining 60% told me there is a problem with my cheap instrument as well. So I have to find one now that accomodates to my fiddlish style of playing even if I'm willing to learn pressing smooth not hard (Jason Anick can do both, I think I will train and learn it). That means I need an instrument with tiny frets, a nut that is low enough and thicker strings as you told me and I think this will solve my problem even if I tune down.

@Jhedd: I'm really glad to read you use exactly the same tuning as I do. This demonstrates me it'll work with a better instrument.

@ Pipeous: Before I got my mandolin I took my fiddle across and played it with plectrum as a guitar...! Looked funny but playing clean cords is not possible and this was the cause to try the mandolin...

So thanks @all for your advice,
    best regards, Tom

Have gone to a .050", and tuned it to C , then shifted the other 3 over a place..
    Electric , it solves the weak E situation too ..
    just 2 half steps down is probably just fine for the standard string,
    or like my banjo-Uke with the Nylon strings, friction peg slips flat trying for E.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture