Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: CBOMs of Note

Default Re: CBOMs of Note

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    It has VERY low down pressure and is very lightly braced. It is clamped to the top with a wooden cleat below but as you can see from the photo, the string tension lifts the rear graphite rod while it pushes down on the graphite saddle - this adds up to (I think) torsional force on the top instead of simply down pressure with a floating bridge. So I guess the action of the top would be a little more similar to a pin bridge without the pin bridge's tonal characteristics.
    Here's a link to a photo of a couple of Nick's instruments, in which you can see his bridge design pretty well. http://www.nikosapollonio.com/bouzoukis.html I hadn't thought about it before, but I think you're right that the result has to be some torsional force on the top. In any case, it's pretty interesting that both of these luthiers came up with what's basically the same concept, independently of each other as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    I thought I would post a few photos of my latest bouzouki, made by Herb Taylor last year. It has a western red cedar top, myrtle back and sides, maple neck with pau ferro fretboard, slotted peghead, and an experimental low-pressure bridge. It's a cracker!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTZouk2011.7.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	87084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTZouk2011.8.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	87085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTZouk2011.10.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	87086
    Very interesting bridge. Not dissimilar to the DeMeglio "string tensioners" used on bowlbacks, but perhaps most closely resembling the Gelas mandolin's which used a similar arrangement (albeit all wood). Also similar to Rick Toone's Patented bridge design.

Just curious, is the bridge glued to the top? I would assume that it would have to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Just curious, is the bridge glued to the top? I would assume that it would have to be?
    No, it's not glued - it's screwed to a cleat under the top through two slots in the top, so clamped, I guess.

Blog Entries

Name:	P1011425.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	87514 I just added an old K2 mandocello to my CBOM crew....
    bought in Chile. http://articulo.deremate.cl/MLC-3644...cello-1911-_JM
    More info and photos at my instruments photo file.

Oh boy Lucho - I looked at your instruments gallery and that's some collection you have there!

Out of interest is that a bowlback mandocello in the image above?

Blog Entries

Hi John: I have gotten this collection bartering and trading through the years, and trying to keep down the crew around a couple of dozens. The napolitan axe you wonder is an argentinean Breyer mandola made around 1900-1910. I also looked your photofile and I liked your restored waldzithers too.....

Here's a recently completed 22.5" scale octave mandolin with Koa back & sides, Red Spruce top and Mahogany neck.

Name:	Koa OM back.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	87787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Koa OM front.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	87788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Koa OM front detail.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	87789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Koa OM back detail.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	87790

Love that Koa - beautiful!

Being a mandocello freak, I think this one's FANTASTIC--has anyone played his instruments? If I had the money, this one would be mine....a real BEAUTY!!! The Bohemian Behemoth mandocello by Redheaded Mandolins.

http://redheadmandolins.com/2012/05/...mian-behemoth/
    Last edited by violmando; Jun-20-2012 at 9:24am. Reason: wrong link
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

i have palyed greek bouzoukis as long as anything. some are great and some are crap. you have to look closely. the older ones from the forties to the sixties are usually made for players. now a lot are made for tourisrts and do not either sound well nor do they last. the best beater i ever had i sold when i was broke but luckily the guy sold it back to me! it is funky with real mother of toilet seat pickguard and inlay but it sounds great and palys gra]eat. greek guys go wow at the sound.

i also have a german like octave mandolin with five courses. i say german like because i think it's actually made in america by a german influenced luthier. the body id nuch bigger than the one pictured above so the sound is really big. the bridge is in the middle of a sound board area the size of a guitar. it has a shorter neck than a greek bouzouki but it can be used for greek music as well as celtic\
    once you start playing a bit of grek music you will never stop. it is so unique for a canadian scotts/french player. i will never be a master of it but it makes me think outside the box.

i've seen really crappy bouzoukis go for a lot on ebay and some nice ones not get bid on so ask someone knowledgeable before bidding. good ones do show up on occasion. i have several now so i am unlikely to buy one unless its a real antique

Blog Entries

From Weber's Facebook Page:
    Photo album of a nice Custom Weber Yellowstone OM
    NFI
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

12. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post: