Thread: New IV Electric Kit

Default New IV Electric Kit

This is an International Violin electric mandolin kit. I bought it and kept in the box for six months. I finally wimped out and took it to a local luthier who did the paint, finish work and put it together for me. It required a lot of woodwork and set up, so I'm kind of glad I didn't attempt it myself. He did a beautiful job for not too much money.
    The frets were very rough edged and not level, and the neck and body required some work to get a good fit. The nut that was included was not the right size, so he made me a beautiful new one.
    The kit came with no instructions and my first worry was getting the bridge placed correctly.
    I’m still messing around with it. I’m trying to get a nice round Tiny Moore type jazz guitar sound out of it, and so far I can get it on every string but the E.
    Greg Menacho at MSI Guitar Repair in San Jose did the work.
    Ain’t it nice?

Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMando403 copy.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	36180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emando407 copy.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	36181  

Default Re: New IV Electric Kit

The paint job looks great. It looks like the same pickup that's in the mandobirds. Do search on mandobird and E string, that should turn up a few threads.

Some folks have had luck swapping out the pots...after just have paid to have them installed that's kind of a bummer. Others have adjusted the height on the treble side of the pickup to make it close to the string.

You can also try tuning it CGDA (you'll need thicker strings) and avoid the E string altogether.

What are you using for an amp? That might have something to do with it also.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Rotate the pickup and I think you'll find the E to improve.

I've got an Epiphone class A tube amp that Musician's Friend was blowing out a few years ago. It isn't the best, but sounds great with a Strat. Yeah, the tone pot seems pretty dodgy, but I'll keep it as is for a while.
    The color doesn't look quite right in the photos here, but it's your basic retro sea foam green.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Blog Entries

I think it looks GREAT! The guy did a nice job for you. The humbucker made all the difference for me in my Kentucky but these guys have all given very appropriate suggestions. Happy picking and make Tiny proud!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    Rotate the pickup and I think you'll find the E to improve.
    Can't believe I would have never thought of that.

Gotta tell evry single mandobird owner I see about that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymandolinist View Post
    Can't believe I would have never thought of that.

Gotta tell evry single mandobird owner I see about that lol.
    It may not work on a mandobird because they have pole pieces. Another trick is to add a resistor in line, the hot wire, because it will cut the bass hence bringing it more in balance with the treble. I've never tried it, but I believe I read that Danelectro did that on their bass guitars. Its been awhile. When all is said and done, I'd just buy a new pickup.