Thread: Didgeridoo for Mandolin

Default Didgeridoo for Mandolin

I saw a classified here on the Cafe' wanting to trade a Didgeridoo for a mandolin. My wife did not know what a Didgeridoo was, so I YouTubed a couple so she could hear what they sounded like. By the time I got back to respond to the ad, it was "de-listed".

I was curious if it was a Bluegrass Didgeridoo

F-style Apostate

Default Re: Didgeridoo for Mandolin

I have it on good authority that it was a Loar era D-5a didge with several upgrades that made it very desirable. Tuned in the key of D, deep woody drone with a toot to die for. A definite banjo killer.

Rick

Tie me kangaroo down, sport.

I saw the ad too ... unfortunately, ads for non-mandolin instruments, or offering to trade non-mandolin items for mandolins, are against the guidelines. Otherwise we'd be getting all those ads from people who want a mandolin in exchange for a 1977 F150.

My didgeridoo is a piece of tourist junk that looks nice but doesn't really play. Which is the only kind of didgeridoo my wife will allow me to have.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

They are the most purchased, least played wind instrument according the dudes I talked to in Oz. I like the didge, never thought how to complement the mando with one. I'll leave that task to Master Gilchrist. I would enjoy that clip though.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

There's a band from New York -- Big Blow and the Bushwhackers -- that has/had both a didge player and a mandolinist. Don't know if they are still active.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    There's a band from New York -- Big Blow and the Bushwhackers -- that has/had both a didge player and a mandolinist. Don't know if they are still active.
    Here's a website about them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

I don't think he plays mando, but for some really cool Weissenborn and Dig one man band stuff, check out Xavier Rudd.
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

in the meantime try to get a similar sound out of a length of plastic pipe, BlueManGroup style.
    adequate resonant tube, minus any lingering termites.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

DidgeriDON'T
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

FWIW, there was a study done in Switzerland in 2005 and published in the British Medical Journal that learning to play the didge lessens snoring and other symptoms of sleep apnea.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1224094017.htm

I think it's interesting how similar didge playing sounds to Asian throat singing, which I admire as an art form. Both involve the technique of "circular breathing" which I understand can very challenging to learn.

Here's an excerpt from that 2005 journal article available at http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/332/7536/266

"Results: Participants in the didgeridoo group practised an average of 5.9 days a week (SD 0.86) for 25.3 minutes (SD 3.4). Compared with the control group in the didgeridoo group daytime sleepiness (difference -3.0, 95% confidence interval -5.7 to -0.3, P = 0.03) and apnoea-hypopnoea index (difference -6.2, -12.3 to -0.1, P = 0.05) improved significantly and partners reported less sleep disturbance (difference -2.8, -4.7 to -0.9, P < 0.01). There was no effect on the quality of sleep (difference -0.7, -2.1 to 0.6, P = 0.27). The combined analysis of sleep related outcomes showed a moderate to large effect of didgeridoo playing (difference between summary z scores -0.78 SD units, -1.27 to -0.28, P < 0.01). Changes in health related quality of life did not differ between groups.

Conclusion: Regular didgeridoo playing is an effective treatment alternative well accepted by patients with moderate obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome."
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

My fiance was happy to hear that I've finally found an instrument that I'm not interested in getting. It's a cool sound but I don't think I can see much use for it in my music. Would be interested in hear the mix though.
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Didgeridoo playing actually gives tremendous results for those that have sleep apnea. I had an AHI of 32 the first year getting a CPAP, and was down to 8 after playing the didge 8 months my first year. I sleep better after playing for 20+ minutes.

Have played well past an hour, and have even fell into deep trance meditations playing the didge. It's one's lips that get sore playing a long time, and being thirsty afterwords.

Recently have noticed that my deep sleep cycles have improved since playing the mandolin. Am actually getting near 1.5 hours compared to 45 minutes of deep sleep.

Am anxious to see what can happen when I get good enough to play the didgeridoo and the mandolin together. I don't have a didge stand of any type available. Was thinking of making one from wood, but is too wet to be outside doing that here. A didge stand can run upwards for $150 + shipping, and my current didge is a heavy Bloodwood Eucalyptus in C#.

Wondering I am going to need to use a capo when playing the two together, since the Weber Y2K6 is in G.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Wondering I am going to need to use a capo when playing the two together, since the Weber Y2K6 is in G.
    How do you fit a capo to a didgeridoo?

Blog Entries

It goes around the neck.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    If you're in standard tuning (GDAE)

You could get a capo, put it on the 1st fret and play in C.

Or you tune your mandolin down a half step and play everything in D.

Or you could play in C#.

BTW this is a 9 year + thread.

There was this thread about a mandolin AND didgeridoo player. For some odd reason it was posted in tenor guitars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Here's a video with a tenor banjo, didgeridoo a few other players. I think it works nicely! Enjoy!

Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

21. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Sorry, did not mean to necro a thread. Was searching last night for videos of people playing a Mandolin & Didgeridoo together, and seen the comments about didgeridoo for sleep apnea and had to chime in.

Is there some literature on using a capo for playing in different keys, so I can add to the mandolin chords book?

Was going to buy a capo for a ukulele before I decided the ukulele wasn't for me. Mandolin sounds SO MUCH BETTER than an ikky ol' Uke. Need to sell that Ventura Concert Ukulele. Name:  thinking.gif
Views: 219
Size:  2.3 KB Debating about the Rogue mandolin though, wall ornament to sell, it for $45?
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Mark Atkins is well known for playing didgeridoo and guitar simultaneously. No reason why he couldn't do it with mandolin.

https://youtu.be/TGOzUO_Dw5Y