Thread: Anyone use a Line6 Spider IV 120watt amplifier with your emando?

Default Anyone use a Line6 Spider IV 120watt amplifier with your emando?

We were discussing amps a while back, and someone mentioned that a 2 x 10'inch speaker configuration might be good for mandolin because it limits some of the "bad" frequencies associated with emando noise. This is essentially the only 2x10 I found at a decent price ($399), but 120 watts is a lot though solid state. Any comments?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...LAID=385306298

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone use a Line6 Spider IV 120watt amplifier with your eman

I'd take your mandolin down to the neighborhood GC or Sam Ash and try one on for a bit. Assuming you like the sound, there's nothing that says you have to turn it way up and use each of those 120 watts, but then you'd be carrying some serious extra weight. I would think that if you have a bit of patience and prowl craigslist regularly you may well find something with less muscle, two 10's and a price you like. Maybe a music man, vibrolux, a vox or laney, etc. The Vox AC-30 is the most common 2x10 I know of, but the cheapest I ever see them is about $500... What kind of sound is it you want and what's your budget?

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Default Re: Anyone use a Line6 Spider IV 120watt amplifier with your eman

What's really dumb is that four years ago when I got serious about Mandolin I GAVE AWAY my great old Ampeg Tube Amp to a friend of the family whose kid was just learning guitar. I had no idea I was going to want to play electric mandolin, and I was anxious to encourage a kid who since quit and destroyed the amp. :-) Hey, no good deed was ever left unpunnished, but we don't do it for the rewards.