Thread: Practice amp and mic?

kestrel

Default Practice amp and mic?

Recently, while jamming with a friend, I discovered that I think I'd really benefit from practicing (acoustic mandolin and OM) through an amplifier, so I started doing some research on amps and mics. What I've found is that I haven't got a clue regarding microphones and amplifiers, and I'm hoping that you folks can point me in the right direction.

This would be purely for my own individual practice, and perhaps for jamming with a buddy, so I'm not looking for anything pro quality, but I really don't want junk, either.

My funds are pretty limited, and I would like to stay, as far as possible, under 200-bucks for an amplifier and a microphone, and still get decent sound.

Is this possible, and if so, would you be so kind as to offer some suggestions?

Thanks,

Gene

Blog Entries

Default Re: Practice amp and mic?

I bet I can think of hundreds of ways to use one of these!!

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...tor?sku=608895

Doesn't leave much for the mike but something like this would do and still be usable for many applications.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270105

Both of these items would be very versital and could be pressed into a wide range of applications. Very small budget, but these two items would get you used to hearing yourself through a monitor which is a very good thing if you are venturing into the performing world. I know the first time I heard myself back through the monitors shook me a bit. Wish it had been at home and not on stage!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I recently went down this road myself. I ended up with a Roland amp, but went up the food chain slightly. I picked up a KC-60 keyboard amp and I'm very happy with it. I looked really hard at the CM-30 though.

Both products allow you to mix in other sources which is nice. For instance, I put all the CDs I get with my instructional books into my iTunes library. Now I can just plug my iPod into the amp and play along. It's really convenient.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Rolands CM-30 seems a good single unit , mini PA ... seen selling at about $175.

At home, I find a small mixer is useful, It's output goes into an Aux input on the stereo,

mixing stereo input from the computer soundcard and CD player, and a mono channel each, instrument and microphone.

Nady Mic [small diaphragm AA powered condenser, spc-25] and Behringer 802 mixer would get you there under your budget constraint.
    Last edited by mandroid; Nov-09-2008 at 9:19pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture