Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Maggie May" and our new mandolin

Default Re: "Maggie May" and our new mandolin

Reviving an old thread because today I finally started working on the mandolin I bought in 2009. A few quick questions for anyone that has ever had the cover off for the controls. Is there a huge sound post in yours below the bridge? I'm trying to figure out if that is original and the second question is about the original screws holding the cover plate for the controls. Are those screws chrome Phillips head (I'm assuming they are) and are the screws pan head? I'm in no ways trying to get this back to original, just want to keep it in the same ballpark as it was originally. These were sold under many names and look like the one Gail posted in the original message.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-05-2012 at 5:35pm. Reason: punctuation is your friend.

I bought one of the Ray Jackson type Maggie May mandolin in a Salvation Army in New Your in March. "Sekova" on the headstock for $75, feeling pretty good about it seeing the crazy prices on these. It's in perfect condition. Had to leave it in NY but I'm going back at the end of the month to get it. Really didn't get a chance to play it. My Rogue that I did a lot of work to make play much easier will do for now. I'm new to mandolin & new here. Cheers to all.

What does anyone think one of these is worth? I've just found one - complete, it appears, with it's original cardboard box! Dare I buy it; I bought a Breedlove and a Fylde last week - I think that makes it 14.

I never managed to finish mine. I just go side-tracked. It's still in pieces. I don't think they're worth a whole lot of money. I paid too much for mine. I think I got mine in the $100.00 range with a case and shipping.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

This is it. I've not seen it "in the flesh" and have decided not to go for it. If anyone else is interested, PM me for further details - it goes to auction on Wednesday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Columbus.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	162241  

I have a acoustic version of this mandolin. No name on headstock. I know it's from the '60's because that's when I bought it. I think it was '66 or '67. Never seen one that was not electric. Any info on an acoustic version.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BobHolland View Post
    I have a acoustic version of this mandolin. No name on headstock. I know it's from the '60's because that's when I bought it. I think it was '66 or '67. Never seen one that was not electric. Any info on an acoustic version.
    Read Mike Edgerton's posts #3 and #5 in this thread. There were acoustic models galore of this body style built by Kay and maybe copied by others. The Kay built mandolins like this may have had any number of brand names applied to them.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Read Mike Edgerton's posts #3 and #5 in this thread. There were acoustic models galore of this body style built by Kay and maybe copied by others. The Kay built mandolins like this may have had any number of brand names applied to them.
    The neck on these (the electric) is bolt-on, I don't think the Kay's are.
    The headstock is meant to be symmetric (and may be, I haven't checked) but they're all a little offset/misaligned.

Nice 60's pickup. I keep thinking of installing it on Harmony tenor.

Years ago Louie at Encore music had a whole wall of these Kay mandolins. He called it The Wall of Shame. They were not in
    tip top condition.
    I think there was a guitar with approx same lines? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Years ago Louie at Encore music had a whole wall of these Kay mandolins. He called it The Wall of Shame. They were not in
    tip top condition.
    I think there was a guitar with approx same lines? Not sure.
    Kay guitar, yes. Flat tops and arched tops, six strings and tenors. I've never seen a Japanese guitar this shape, though at the right price, I'd be tempted.

Blog Entries

Digging up this ancient discussion because today happens to be the 10th anniversary of Bill Graham's fine article on the very subject:

The Man With The World's Most-Heard Mandolin Solo

Ray Jackson

12. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post: