Thread: Help Me Upgrade This Solid Body Electric

Default Help Me Upgrade This Solid Body Electric

As mentioned in the More ebay mandos thread, I recently took a flyer on this gem from antoniotsai. As expected, it is not playable as received if for no other reason than both e-strings snapped while bringing them up to pitch. My winter project is to upgrade the components to make this mandolin at least a respectable player. This is my first attempt at something like this, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Here are some issues I can use some help with:

Tailpiece: The strings rub against the top of the inlaid soundboard due to the poor design of the tailpiece. I don’t want to splurge for an expensive cast tailpiece, and the Gibson style tailpieces don’t appeal to me. Any other options?

Bridge: The bridge appears to be made of bone, but it is uncompensated and rounded on top. All of the slots are the same width and depth. And it is only ½ inch high. The compensated replacement bridges I’ve found are 7/8 inch high at their minimum setting. Any suggestions outside of making my own?

Pickups: I’m thinking of replacing these with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil at the neck position.

Electronics: a poor soldering job. Need to replace all 3 pots.

Tuners: Not sure whether replacements will fit in the existing holes. Any way to determine this?

Fretboard: After reviewing the replacement procedure on Frets.com, I think I’ll stick with this one for now. If anyone has an alternative method, I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2061.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	36298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2060.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	36299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2056.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	36300  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2062.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	36301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2063.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	36302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2064.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	36303  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help Me Upgrade This Solid Body Electric

Tailpiece: not exactly sure what I would do there. That one looks cool. Is it possible to alter it in a way that would make it funtional?

Bridge: I would call Steve at Cumberland Acoustics and give him some measurements that he could coach you through over the phone and have him make you a standard compansated adjustable bridge. The you could fit it to the top and done.

Pickups: To fit aftermarket pickups in there you will probably have to remove some of the surrounding body to do it. I would live with the existing ones unless they are total junk. It you replace, consider a couple of Dimarzio Pro Tracks. Many of the high end builders are using these units with super results. I put one in my Kentucky 300e and am thrilled. You can wire some switching in there so you can have single coil and humbucking sounds in both positions. Nice feature. It you keep the originals, go with CTS 250k pots (fender dealer should have them as well as other places) and if you go hmbkr, 500k CTS pots.

Tuners: Several measurements and a trip to the builders section of the forum will yield 10 suggestions in 5 minutes! You may have to have some plugging/drilling done to make some decent tuners fit but that would pay benefits over the long haul that is for sure!

Fretboard: If you really want to have this thing play well, take it to a good set-up guy for a fret level, dres and polish. Also, make sure the nut slots are right. It will play as good as anything out there!!

It you get all that stuff sorted, you should have a great playing, sounding, reliable mandolin that looks as cool as they come!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

If you want to keep the existing tailpiece, it may work to re-drill the holes a bit closer to the top. (It would probably leave at least one of the old holes visible.)

Another option might be one of the Gibson "clamshells" they used on less expensive models in the 30s (and on many models in the 40s-50s). Look at the 1933 Gibson A1 in the classifieds from earlier this month.

..looks like the edge of the tail-piece has the strings bending over it, shifting it downward would need something else , like fabricating a piece of metal covering the edge of the body there.

Along Rob N's idea. awhile back I got a tailpiece with an oval cover, slides down ,
    [ whereas the other ones slide off towards the end of the mando ]
    type like the shell tailpieces that Gibby A40-50s
    but with an oval cover/armrest. they have a metal angle folded in them that would protect the wood. its nickel finish, but if you are replacing the tuners ones with a nickel finish would go together well.

pickup looks Strat format like, so wide choices should be available ..
    sound option wide open. I would shield the control cavity with copper foil or metallic paint,
    to quiet A/C interference.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Is that a modified banjo bridge? looks like the one on my banjo!

Custom bridge with 4 RMC Piezo bridge pieces like Godin A8 uses opens up a whole added universe.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mike, I'll confess I'm glad you beat me out in this auction. I was severely tempted by this mando's cosmetic panache, but your report confirmed my worst fears of it being the ultimate fixer-upper. Your prescription for restoration reminds me of the urban legend lost dog ad: REWARD: Lost Dog Three legs, blind in left eye, ear torn, recently castrated, answers to the name, "Lucky."
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

[QUOTE=Ted Eschliman;598357]REWARD: Lost Dog Three legs, blind in left eye, ear torn, recently castrated, answers to the name, "Lucky."[/QUOTE

That one always makes me smile.

Thanks, Ted. If this dog survives my attempts to teach it new tricks, I'll name it Lucky.

I'd suggest a humbucker in the neck position--
    It would be the most mellow tone you could get.
    The tone is otherwise likely to be harsh and "plinky".

Maybe the L-45 by Lawrence.
    http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html