Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Happy Birthday Brunkalla #1

Thanks Cindi, It truly is a new classic masterpiece. Ive got to tell you, that this mandolin has literally opened up alot since I got it. I brought it to a blugrass jam the day I received it. Even people I didnt know cane up to me to check this fine mandolin out. It seemed to catch tons of attention. A friend of mine Clayton had a chance to check it out that night. 3 days later I ran into him and he had a chance to check it out. He said I can actually say this sounds better now than it did just three days ago.

I cant imagine it sounnding any better than it already does. I think Martin is a world class builder. I told him what I wanted in a mandolin, and for some reason their was this peace in me about the product he was going to deliver the whole time. I just knew it would be just right for me. Ive had the great luck of playing one of his violins, So that is next on my list.

Lastnight we went to see Mark O'Connor's Appalacian trio #live. So after the show we had a chance to talk a little music with the three of them. Monica Rizzio the owner of a Brunkalla Violin was my date to the event. She doesnt put down her violin very often so it ends up with her every where she goes. So Mark O'Conner saw her case in her hand and asked if he could see what she was hiding in there. she handed the violin to him and the first thing he did was pluck the strings from g to e with his fingers. He stopped talking and same with his band memberes and Marc's eyes opened up wide with this shy but excited grin, and said, Wow that is loud! Someone else walked up to him to ask him a question so Monica waited for Mark to hand back the violin. Mark said would you mind if I talk to a few people for a few? then I wanna try this out. Mark didnt hand back the violin he kept it in his hands while he was photographing with a few people. After words he played a few more notes on it and said this is a reaaaaaaaaallllly great instrument. You have quite the fiddle Monica! And then he made a noise as if he had tasted the best piece of cheese cake. mmmmmmm! I laughed at how he reacted. He quicly looked inside to see the label investigating who the builder was. My guess is that, Brunkalla's violin gave Mark a bit of high he didnt know hes was gonna get when he asked what was inside that small case.
    You go Martin!

Hey there gdae_boy I've got to say that is one of the finest looking mandolins I have ever seen. I loved the way he did the scroll. I would have to disagree with others opinion on the site. I think Martin intentionally did the scroll that way. It looks mighty fine! I hope you enjoy that mandolin.

You said that he used a tung-oil finish. WOW I'll have to say that is one of the nicest finishes I have ever seen on any mandolin. The grain on the top looks really close must be an old top?

Mandorizz

Thankyou I agree, its my favorite instrument ever built. Yes I do feel it is that amazing.

Blog Entries

When will this thread finally die!!!!!!!!
    We all agree, it's a nice mandolin, wacky scroll and all.

Tongue firmly in cheek

Jim

Well Old School Freight Train just performed at my cafe yesterday, what a awsome show. I got to hear them jam on my new Brunk mando. Peter Froste has an Apitius, and we could all admit that Brunk was everything the apitius was. Nate Leath quoted I would really recommend this mando to anyone looking for a loud bluegrass mando! So after the show the aptius the brunkalla and the holoubek hopped in a circle. I have to say Brunk was the loudest, the most bluegrass sounding of the three mandos, and the Apitius and the Holoubek sounded amazing and near identical with one another. They are very similar mandolins, with a Four Thousand dollar difference. So if you want that Apitius feel and sound for much less money, Id recommend a holoubek. And If you want more of that Dudenbostel type of tone Id reccomend a Brunkalla.

Im lovin this mando so much.

Heres some cool photos of my Brunkalla.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0065small.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	3550  

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Oh great! Here we go again! Are those sanding discs? If so, sand some more on that scroll.:D
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

You're bad.

mando jeremy that was hilarious

ha ha ha lol,
    come on its a cool pic isnt it?
    but actually thats a weird chair i saw when walking about main st here on the cape.

When I first saw that picture I was trying to figure out how that tail piece cover worked. Took me a while to figure out it was the chair's reflection. Interesting chair, good picture.

I was kidding with you there gdae_boy1! Seriously, I do hope you are enjoying the mando and I still want to hear a recording of it. That is one weird chair!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Registered Person

I've pretty much ignored this thread, only because, well, what else is there to say, it's a fine mandolin, but I saw Jeremy had posted......good to see you dude.

Look my mando is on fire lol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0068small.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	3588  

I really like that pick guard. Is it varnished more heavily than the instrument? What kind of wood is it?

Hey Jeff,

It is brazilian rosewood, same with the armrest. It has really nice figure.

Hey gdae_boy1, if that thing burns to the ground I guess we won't be seeing anymore pictures! By the way Neal, good to see you also and no I am not angry!

Registered Person

This one's starting to look like the first BRW thread, though. Do you think it'll hit 20 pages?