Thread: Clean Amp to use with RP500

Default Clean Amp to use with RP500

I recently picked up a Digitech RP500 effects unit and amp modeler. I should have done this from the start. My fear was that I would spend all day tweaking this thing and not spend anytime playing.

In reality, I didn't know enough about effects and amps to make wise decisions on purchasing gear. The RP500 allows me to easily try out different combinations of effects and amps. Is it as good as the real thing? I'm sure it's not, but it does serve as a very nice sandbox to find what I'm looking for tonewise. In other words, it's good enough

So this thing sounds great through headphones and sounds like poo through my amp. I'm pretty sure I need a nice clean/neutral solid state amp that I can use with the RP500. Something that will allow me to use the amp and cabinet models. What I hear in my headphones, I want to hear from the amp. It doesn't have to be real loud and it doesn't have to be stereo. This is for practicing at home.

Any suggestions?

BTW, remember that Bill Frisell Tone thread? I managed to dial in a pretty close approximation: '65 Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Compressor, Tremolo and Reverb. I also dialed in a pretty good Mike Stern too. Lots of fun.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Default Re: Clean Amp to use with RP500

I play through an old Fender BXR bass amp for a clean tone. An acoustic guitar or keyboard amp might also get what you are looking for.

You might contemplate playing it through your home stereo.

For clean amps, I personally like the Roland Jazz Chorus, the Polytone amps, and a pair of older solid state amps (a Yamaha G100-212 III and a Gibson Lab Series L-5) that I've had for a number of years now.

A lot of the "keyboard" amps also work well.
    EdSherry

Thanks for the input so far. I've been googling and finding that some folks are using powered/personal monitors for the exact purpose I'm describing. Products that would fall into this category are the Roland Cube Monitor (CM-30) and the Alesis Transactive 50. Both models feature multiple inputs and a built in mixer. Might be nice for playing practice tracks via an iPod.

Here's a question...assuming both models are equally transparent which would be louder in theory:
    - 30 Watt amp with 6.5" speaker (Roland)
    - 50 Watt amp with 5" speaker (Alesis)

This completely contradicts my "it doesn't have to be real loud" statement, but curiosity is getting the better of this cat...LOL.

After I check out some keyboard amps, I think I'll have enough information to make an informed decision....I hope.

Thanks again and if anyone else has an opinion, I'm open to more suggestions.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I can't give enough praises to the Schertler David -- the cleanest and most versatile Amp I've ever had. It costs a little dough, but it's portability and delivery and features - from small venue delivery - to larger venue personal monitor and the most uncolored acoustic amplifier -- clean - clear - state of the art - it's made my sound consistent - and set-up simple - for me -- the best
    Brian Court

Blog Entries

I use 2 Yamaha Powered monitors and they double as PA for acoustic instruments. You could start with one.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Years ago I read an interview with Tom Scholz (inventor of the Rockman)
    who suggested that the output of that device would be poorly used if fed to a guitar (or bass) amp; maximum benefit was to be gained by using a amplification system without the frequency roll-off characterisitic of those types of beasts. I think he (specifically) mentioned KB amps as a better alternative.
    The same may be true for the processor you have now.

Mike S

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

You'll probably get slightly more volume out of the 50 watt model, but hopefully more headroom (volume before distortion.) In the tube world at least, the output difference between a maxed out 50w and 100w amp is minimal, but the 100w amp will push a muuuuch louder clean tone. I'd be wary of speakers that small though, I often find that anthing under 10" (I much prefer 12") can be a bit pinched.

For your purposes though, I'd look into a powered PA speaker/monitor. Clean, self contained, and most of what's on the market now is as tough as anvils, with the sometime exception of Behringer (they seem to have QC issues.) The Mackie SRM things are great, Yamaha makes similar products and so does JBL, all of which you should be able to find at a Guitar Center. Added advantage to that route, is with the addition of a DI box, you could readily jump between electric mandolin, and amplified acoustic mandolin...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I play through a Ultrasound CP-100. It's an acoustic guitar amp, but I play fiddle and elctro and acoustic mandos through it, and it sounds incredibly clear and pure. And with the built in effects, you can get some cool sounds going. The best thing about them is their size and weight- very compact and light. I'm all through hauling heavy amps. They come in 30, 50, 100 wts., plus a small stack. They're not cheap, but worth every penny. Check out the review at Musician's Friend. Highly reccommended.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

I agree with taboot in that I would invest in a Mackie powered monitor if it does not break your budget. They are a wonderful sounding/performing piece of gear and are extremely versital to their owners! The Yamahas are nice but if the Mackie is within your reach....
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

given You are at home , How about a small powered studio monitor? they are by design uncoloring the signal to them/it
    you got a line level coming out of the EFX box.

I have a pair of monitors hooked up to my computer via a small mixer , so I can mix in my playing on one channel and the soundcard, etc. output on another ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I picked up a floor model Roland KC-60 (40 watt keyboard amp) at Guitar Center. So far it seems pretty good and the price was right. At first I thought I was hearing some modeling artifacts, a phasey hissing. It turned out to be the compressor on the effect unit. It was kicking in as longer notes were being held. It wasn't as noticeable in the headphones.

The RP500 really models EVERYTHING about an amp. Down to the type of hum...LOL. At first it drive me nuts, but I soon realized that if I'm playing with a backing track you just don't notice it. The KC-60 has 3 channels, plus a line in. My iPod sounds pretty good going through it.

Next up is to program 3 or 4 patches/tones and then forget about all the other stuff the unti does. You can get lost in it if you want to. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. If anyone has questions about the setup let me know.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural