Thread: Planxty Drew / Planxty Wilkerson

Blog Entries

Default Planxty Drew / Planxty Wilkerson

Just drug out my Johnny Cunning albums, and played Fair Warning. Everything on that album is a gem - but Johnny's playing of Planxty Drew and Planxty Wilkerson was just transcendent.

Those two tunes, separately or one after the other - are the most perfect little musical adventure.

So of course I drug out my O'Neills yellow book, and found them and have been blissed out all evening playing them.

A little Laphroaig over two perfect ice cubes -

I better check, I may have died and gone to heaven.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Planxty Drew / Planxty Wilkerson

I agree, those are nice tunes, if in a weird key.

However, I'd like to have my Laphroaig with a little water, please...

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

My grandfather used to say "WATER? What's the point of lighting a fire just to put it out?
    He's also the man who slipped on the ice one Christmas coming home from the pub with 2 Danno's in his overcoat pockets. He said he felt something wet as he got up and thought Oh God, I hope that's blood....

And no wfor some mando content:
    Tabs or music for the Planxty's?

O'Carolan and Single Malt Whisky...Oh my! Doesn't get much better!!! One of my favorites is Oban (no cubes and "up") and O'Carolans "Ode to Whisky". "George Brabazon, First Air" is a really great tune on an oval hole.

Scott taught several O'Carolan classes at The Americana Music Academy in Lawrence, KS a coupla years ago and the instruction and the music were top-shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    And now for some mando content:
    Tabs or music for the Planxty's?
    Unfortunately, they don't seem to be on thesession.org, so I guess the main source is where Jeff found them: the O'Neill's Collection - which is always worth the investment. It also contains another one O'Carolan wrote for your location: Planxty Irvine

As for water: I like taste with my booze, and water helps it to unfold. Many people don't know that the 40% strength single malt they buy alread contains water (e.g. from Loch Katrine near Glasgow) added to defuse the original cask strength of about 57%. If Danno is what I suspect it to be, I haven't missed out

Bertram
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Oct-12-2008 at 4:00am. Reason: redundant words
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The correct name for Planxty Wilkerson seems to be Planxty Wilkinson. Music for Planxties (Planxtys?) Drew and Wilkinson can be found either at The Complete Music of Turlough O'Carolan site or by using the ABC Tunefinder.

Patrick

A Danno is a pint-bottle of Guinness. A Johnno is a 1/2 pint-bottle. Thanks for the links...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I agree, those are nice tunes, if in a weird key.

However, I'd like to have my Laphroaig with a little water, please...

Bertram
    With regard to the key, I just think about it as playing a half a position below first position.

Regarding bruising my Scotch with a little water, I am not above it, no sir.

With regard to those being nice tunes... nice is a free Hershey Bar, those are amazing tunes. At least as Johnny Cunningham plays them, and how I try to play them. They are like a delightful landscape you see from a tour bus and wish you could stop and get out and walk to. A landscape that you fondly recognize and want to show off to your friends - look, such places exist, such tunes exist.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    With regard to those being nice tunes... nice is a free Hershey Bar, those are amazing tunes. At least as Johnny Cunningham plays them, and how I try to play them. They are like a delightful landscape you see from a tour bus and wish you could stop and get out and walk to. A landscape that you fondly recognize and want to show off to your friends - look, such places exist, such tunes exist.
    It's all good.

I am aware that enthusiasm is a delicate thing, easily hurt by other people's indifference. I am sorry if I hurt yours, never meant to do that. Hope the Johnny Cunningham version comes together.

Bertram

Blog Entries

No problem Bertram. I do get pretty enthusiastic.

Its just that "nice" has been so diluted these days. I have some relatives who think everything I can squeek out on the mandolin is "nice". I once was just thumping on the thing with the ball of my right thumb while fingering I, IV V chords, and got them to say "thats nice".

Her is an excerpt of Johnny Cunningham's playing of the tunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Planxty-Drew-W...5218896&sr=8-3

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    No problem Bertram...
    ...Here is an excerpt of Johnny Cunningham's playing of the tunes.
    Glad it's alright.
    I think I'll buy the album from iTunes, because the excerpt made me curious for more. That interpretation pretty much pronounces the classical character (a regular O'Carolan feature), which is greatly enhanced by the harmonics, so I guess double stops on the mandolin would make a near approximation - wait, I just feel another OM=harpsichord-in-a-nutshell project coming...

Bertram