Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplification

Default Re: Amplification

I've tried all sorts of amps over the years, and found I was always comparing any of them to a Twin Reverb. So I bought another one (65 reissue) that I plan to keep permanently. I run a pair of tube screamers for the overdrive duties. For my ears, this is the sweet sound for my Tele or the electric mando. I'm not going for an acoustic sound, so it works for me. It's truly a beast (weighs more than my old 4x10 bass cabinet), but it's the sound.

I also have a Fender Studio 65 (solid state) for practice and smaller shows.

Blog Entries

I tried out a Fender Blues Jr at Watermelon Music in Davis CA last weekend. A very nice amp for the price, and a little more versatile than my Ampeg J-12T. AAS strikes.

Daniel

I've got a Blues Junior that I'm found of. Hot Rod Deluxe is also very nice.

Sorry for the delay! I'll look for a model number on the Peavey. It can't match the Twin, of course, but I can lift it without risking that Twin hernia! I'm intrigued by the Dean Markley bass head with the 15" cab rig. From time to time, I've used my sonny's Fender bass amp and it does sound real clean, in fact, cleaner than either of my cats' patoots.

That li'l Peavey that could is the Peavey Nano Valve. Bundled with that useless guitar in the beginners pack, it apparently went for $89.99. I got just the Nano Valve for $40. CHEAP!

I read Mike Bromley's postings with awe and wonder if Mike has forgotten more than most people will learn about tech issues on this mortal coil. Nevertheless here's something simple. I bought an Artec Tino 5 Watt amp. Pretty Walnut old-timey thing it is too. I played my Kentucky 300 through it with pleasing results. "Blackberry Blossom" (old style) on 'Clean'. "Here comes the Sun" on 'Hot Tube'. A Rockabilly "Blue Moon of Kentucky" on 'Over Driver' and an up-tempo "Divin' Duck Blues" on High Gain. If you were playing an acoustic gig this would carry you nicely. The perfectionist guitar shop owner said he didn't like selling 'toys' so he gave me a big discount. Tiny this Tino may be but it is no toy. - Regards Pat.

PS - I have bigger Orange and Behringer amps for Bass and Guitar, Pocket Rockets for playing in the wee hours - more slimming than snacks. Boxes, Wahs etc. - but this Tino is very impressive.

Pat.

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

anybody have any experience with the roland cube line? I want something small, but with several effects. I played around with a cube rx at a guitar center, but playing through something while 30 other people are playing around you is tough. gracias!

I like my blacktop vibrolux for the larger gigs and my black top princeton for the smaller venues. Not as much power as the twin but I'm a 10" speaker fan.

Blog Entries

Just recently picked up a Roland CM-30. This is a sort of a PA amp rather than a guitar amp, but it does the trick anyway. I ran it as the output #2 from my stereo chorus/flanger and it sounds great.

The 6.5" woofer gets warmer, deeper tones than my Ampeg J12T. Next up is to try it solo.

And the price is right. This little thing cost less new a month ag than my Ampeg J12T did 15 years ago.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by MandoFan-do View Post
    anybody have any experience with the roland cube line? I want something small, but with several effects. I played around with a cube rx at a guitar center, but playing through something while 30 other people are playing around you is tough. gracias!
    I haven't tried the Roland cube, but if you're looking for high quality in a very small package, I think it's hard to beat the AER Alpha:

http://www.aer-amps.info/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=93

It's 40 watts in a 10" cube, one input for XLR mic or instrument with an additional instrument input, and it weighs just 14 lbs. The effects are limited to one digital reverb with a blend control. You could add a pedal effect or two, if you needed more FX.

I got an Alpha recently for times when I want minimal sound reinforcement and don't want to drag a lot of stuff around. It works great for that application, and it's also a nice little stage monitor/DI for larger PA setups. It's more expensive than the Roland cubes and similar compact acoustic amps, but the construction seems solid and it should last a long time.

My other "acoustic" amp is a Rivera Sedona, a wonderful all-tube amp that can do either distortion or clean acoustic reproduction (by kicking in a tweeter in addition to the main 12" speaker). That amp never leaves the house these days, mainly because it weighs a ton (well, 65 lbs. but that's enough!), and I don't need the tube drive/distortion side of the amp for what I'm doing now.

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up with one of the cubes.

Really enjoyed your second blog post BTW, Daniel. Gonna have to break my guitar out of case jail.