Thread: Ehx stereo memory man w/ hazarai

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Does anyone out there have this pedal? It's basically a delay pedal with a bunch of other "features" thrown in.

I've been wanting a delay pedal for a while and this one has a 30 sec. looper to boot. I'm pretty certain I'm going to pick one up, but figured I'd check here first to see if anyone had one or could offer their opinion on them.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I've looked at it before, ended up with a seperate looper and delay (digitech Jam Man and Line6 delay.) I'd look at harmony central, they're bound to have some hefty reviews by now.

C
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I've read pretty much all the reviews and watched all the videos...LOL. I was just looking for someone with actual hands on experience.

I picked it up today at the local Guitar Center. The guy behind the counter was like, "Are you sure you want this? It's kinda of complicated and it can get kind of trippy." I assured him that if it didn't work out I'd make full use of the 30-day return policy.

I'll spend the weekend with it and report back. What Line6 delay did you end up with?
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Look forward to your review. I'm using a vintage Ibanez AD-80
    delay and an Empress Super Delay (with looping). Great combo.

I'll be looking forward to it as well. ("Hazarai" means "pig slop"!) For those who haven't seen all the video as Charlie has:

http://www.gearwire.com/electroharmo...n-hazarai.html

http://www.gearwire.com/electroharmo...azarai-02.html

http://www.gearwire.com/electroharmo...azarai-03.html

http://www.gearwire.com/electroharmo...azarai-04.html

I think I would be in danger of spending hours and hours just turning knobs while plucking open strings instead of actually using it for playing. But I've always liked E-H's willingness to put out products with some rough edges. It seems fascinating and it sure does a lot.

So I spent the better part of a day "turning knobs and plucking open strings"...LOL.

While this unit does quite a bit, it's difficult to get subtle effects. When I went on the search for a delay pedal my primary goal was to thicken up my tone, smear it a bit. This was hard to pull off with the SMMH. I found myself messing with two features the most of the time, the looper and the reverse playback.

The unit went back not because it wasn't a quality piece of kit, but because it didn't meet my primary objective. If I had the extra cash, I would have kept it. I ended up coming home with a Boss RC-2 loop pedal. The pragmatist in me felt this would better serve my playing and practicing routine.

The RC-2 is pretty easy to use and a lot of fun. I didn't realize until I got home that it has a rhythm guide (metronome/drumbeats), which really helps. It will help 11 loops (16 minutes total), which should serve my needs. Right now I'm just looping chord progressions and playing over them. I've got recording gear, but this is so convenient I see myself using the pedal more.

I'll make a separate post on my search for the right tone pedal.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I'm drawing a blank on the name of the pedal I got. It's not the four switch thing, but a standard stompbox size pedal with a pretty hefty variety of delay options. I like the controls a lot, I'm happy wih the sounds, and it hasn't given me any use problems yet, which is as much as one can ask for.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra