Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526274873 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Speaking of bourbon, Jeff, have you ever sipped a shot of Old Forester's Birthday Batch? Small batches produced once a year on the founder's birthday. Gets my highest recommendation.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Lovely description of this wonderful tune. Once I learn the version I've pieced together, perhaps I'll revisit the FFB version. It was difficult for me first go 'round. I love both the drama and joy The Kid on the Mountain invokes. It brings ups so many emotions for me. I'm giving myself a long time and a lot of patience here. It's a journey ~ maybe a shot of whiskey will help

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think I first heard Kid on the Mounain from a Bothy Band record, Kevin Burke on the fiddle. The version in the Fiddler's Fakebook is the one I heard, and its the one I learned. I don't know how Mel Bay's or others differ, but I don't suspect its much. And, I have been playing the tune for a while, so I don't doubt I have "evolved" the tune a bit over these many years.

The tune captures for me what is great about an Irish Session. The five parts of the tune, like separate but thematically complimentary tunes, following on each other without break, continuing the energy of the last one, the energy and drive of the thing, and then the endless quality of it, that tune will never end, but you never want it to, and then holding the last note, last time through, like we all collapse from exhaustion, or the sudden slow to a stop at the end of a wooden roller coaster ride, or the way you drink the last bit of beer in your glass.

I don't know where the name of the tune comes from, but I can just see that baby mountain goat up there prancing around unpredictably, under the sway of the sheer joy of being alive.

If you can capture all of that in the way you play it - I don't care which version you use.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Speaking of bourbon, Jeff, have you ever sipped a shot of Old Forester's Birthday Batch?
    I take all bourbon recommendations seriously, and will indeed follow up on it.

I find that I can learn tunes at a jam a bit faster with a drink or two, but I don't retain them as long, while if I am stone cold sober when I learn the tune by ear, its in there reliably for a long time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Paul Lucas, you are the MAN! What a great site, www.stringband.mossyroof.com- Many, many great tunes. I only learn tunes by ear, and this is like Christmas to me. Thanks once extra large.
    Mike Snyder

Looks like a good site (even if it's for b@nj0s).

Here is a corrected link. http://www.stringband.mossyroof.com/

If you get chance, check out how Tim O'Brien does Kid on the Mountain in his mandolin and bouzouki instructional DVD. It's also on his album "The Crossing". Great stuff.

Here's the John Hatcher version of Grub Springs. Learned form the Mike Compton Taterbugmando group.

A question; Is Hail Against the Barn Door and The Squirrel Hunters the same tune, or very similar, or not at all. Some videos are mis-titled, and I assumed that they were two different tunes. Been working Julia Delaney and Rock the Cradle Joe purty hard.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    A question; Is Hail Against the Barn Door and The Squirrel Hunters the same tune, or very similar, or not at all. Some videos are mis-titled, and I assumed that they were two different tunes.
    They are very close, but different. Especially the B-Parts. Specifically...Hail Against the Barn Door has a walkdown that Squirrel Hunters doesn't have.

Thanks, Mike. You may have to show me that.
    Mike Snyder

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Here's the John Hatcher version of Grub Springs. Learned form the Mike Compton Taterbugmando group.
    Very nice Shaun. I may try to pick that out.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I really like this thread too. Always seem to check it out to see what tunes people are playing. Here's a tune called "Half Past Four" of my OT band jamming on it a little bit last Saturday. Look close and you'll see some wonderful fresh home made PIES! (blueberry & apple), that clawhammer Dave's Mom made for us. YUM!

I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Rochester Schottisch ... D tune

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I've just started working on June Apple. Not a new tune to me but not one I can play decently so I'm working on it. I have the "Appalachian Fiddle" book by Miles Krassen and he gives a version with interesting rhythmic patterns to both the A and B parts. Attributed to Charlie Higgins but it sounds different than the only Uncle Charlie recording I have of the tune. I'm interested to see if I can make it work on mandolin, especially at my less-than-breakneck tempo.

Over the Waterfall (but I'm taking it to my Gibson Soprano ukulele to fingerpick), Otter's Holt and Morrison's Jig.

Love Grub Springs, Shaun! Beautifully picked and a gorgeous mandolin! The pies made me hungry, woodwizard, Half Past Four is a great tune and you all mesh well. I could hear the each instrument at different times ~ which I love.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Folks, as the OP I felt that I should try to do something about the odd change that came to the name of the thread; ' was NOT part of the title, oh so long ago. Of course the administrator has a life, and I did wait 'til Christmas week to say anything. I'm gonna give it a rest and try later. This is a great thread, I've certainly learned alot of tunes, and learned OF alot more. If any of you have ideas about how I can fix the broken title, PM me or put it in here. As it is now, it kinda looks like we're mad. "What the H*ll;s your new fiddle tune?" Thanks, and keep those tunes rollin' in.
    Mike

Rock the Cradle, Joe
    Johnny, Johnny Don't Get Drunk
    Snake River Reel
    Seneca Squaredance
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Folks, as the OP I felt that I should try to do something about the odd change that came to the name of the thread; ' was NOT part of the title, oh so long ago. Of course the administrator has a life, and I did wait 'til Christmas week to say anything. I'm gonna give it a rest and try later. This is a great thread, I've certainly learned alot of tunes, and learned OF alot more. If any of you have ideas about how I can fix the broken title, PM me or put it in here. As it is now, it kinda looks like we're mad. "What the H*ll;s your new fiddle tune?" Thanks, and keep those tunes rollin' in.
    Mike

Rock the Cradle, Joe
    Johnny, Johnny Don't Get Drunk
    Snake River Reel
    Seneca Squaredance
    We're aware of the problem and were just working on this specific thread a couple of days ago. It's only some versions of Internet Explorer that alters the title when a reply is made and usually when someone replies to a post with the ugliness you speak of. As a member replying within this (and any other thread) you can always alter the title yourself by going to the Advanced reply mode and manually editing it. You'll notice the title now looks like it should because that's what I did, but someone will eventually come along using IE and it'll go back to the way it was until we figure out what's causing this. The issue relates to importing the entire forum from another software product.

Yeah ! Mike ... "Johnny Don't get Drunk" I was pickin' that one today before I noticed you had that one on your list.
    Great fiddle tune! I've also been working on Rocky Pallet
    Last edited by woodwizard; Dec-24-2010 at 2:32pm.

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

My fingers learn them, but my brain forgets them. I need one of those smart phones so I can pull up audio quickly. Usually if I hear the first three notes, the whole song magically pops right into my head and I'm off. Anyway, tonite it's Ten Penny Bit.
    Mike Snyder

Funny how the ole brain needs a jump start sometimes on tunes. It could be one that you know really well that just needs someone to just start that melody. Right? Then your off to the races or back in the saddle sort of. My fiddle player friends have been playing the old-time version of Grub Springs so I've been pickin' on that one some today. Even uploaded a medium speed version on youtube today of my try at a W. E. Claunch inspired Grub Springs version I believe. Very oldtimy. Completely different from the Compton style I've been watching on some youtubes. I really like it. It really sounds oldtimy to me on my A4. I may not sound too good but I sure have a lot of fun pickin' those old ones. Guess that's the most important thing is to have fun.

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Really nice, Woodwizard. Thanks for posting.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Ol' Joe Clark (frailing banjo, double thumb'in).
    "Blues are the songs of despair, but gospel songs are the songs of hope." - Mahalia Jackson

Every so often I'll go to a jam and one gets stuck in my head. At that point, it must be learned!

Today I dealt with a hangover from a jam a few nights ago. It's called "Roscoe's Gone" by Seattle-ite Hank Bradley. One of those cool modal things. I think fiddlers do it in A-E-A-E tuning.

Blog Entries

Currently working on Greg Horne's arrangement for Miss McLeod's Reel...Absolutely love it.
    Oh, and I also love one of it's alternate New World names, Did You Ever See The Devil, Uncle Joe?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Mike Parks,

That was a good one, old-timey sound is right on. You really had that A4 loping along nicely. I love hearing a mandolin player do justice to a good fiddle tune. Thanks for posting.