Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23486970717273
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1810

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Billy in the Lowground is my most recent one...
    2017 Collings MT GT Wide Nut
    2001 Gibson Nashville Flatiron Festival
    1912 Gibson A
    1909 Gibson A

The Salvation. I'm not sure of its origin. lots of room for adding filagree.
    Explore some of my published music here

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Cincinnati Rag. The relentless circle of fifths allows for some serious improv.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    The Salvation. I'm not sure of its origin. lots of room for adding filagree.
    I always like your taste in tunes. Got a source for the dots or video or sound file?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes - Old Sheet Music for mandolin

Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- Gibson TB-Junior -- National RM-1

My wife Katy learned The Salvation first on frailing banjo. Sounds great on banjo. Then i got onboard, putting in the Amazing Slow Downer and adding a bit more old time drive and less Celtic push. The tune is a shape shifter. There's another version on Youtube that reminds me of ska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTh9RDId1No

i tried putting the web address into the youtube tag, but it didn't show up. The tag must be different than the address.

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

last night I picked up my mandolin and played a few old chestnuts - stuff I often use for warm up. Then my fingers started playing some melody I just had up there in storage. Something I hadn't played for likely 10 years. Just out from the ether. I enjoyed playing it, but couldn't recall where, when or how I learned it. I had that feeling it wasn't a jam tune. Later on I then realized I was playing, "Twinkle Little Star," which is sort of a Texas fiddle tune.

I need to really relearn that melody! It's one of those all 4 strings and the full first position tunes.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

My wife Katy learned The Salvation first on frailing banjo. Sounds great on banjo. Then i got onboard, putting in the Amazing Slow Downer and adding a bit more old time drive and less Celtic push. The tune is a shape shifter. There's another version on Youtube that reminds me of ska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTh9RDId1No

i tried putting the web address into the youtube tag, but it didn't show up. The tag must be different than the address.
    Thanks, Jim. I always like your taste in tunes. That is a great version but it might be a bit difficult to get that snakiness on the mandolin, fun, though, to try. I did find the tune on The Session.

Actually according to the notes on The Session it is a composed tune from the Orkney Islands near Scotland. Here's a rollicking version starting at around 2:15.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- Gibson TB-Junior -- National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I always like your taste in tunes. That is a great version but it might be a bit difficult to get that snakiness on the mandolin, fun, though, to try. I did find the tune on The Session.

Actually according to the notes on The Session it is a composed tune from the Orkney Islands near Scotland. Here's a rollicking version starting at around 2:15.
    Thanks Jim. Actually, this video reaffirms my own sense that each tune sound best when performed with respect to its own innate tempo. I've never been a big fan of musicians who push the speed of tunes to express their own prowess. In this tune, it is the snakiness you mention, that elevates it above the mechanical repetition on display here, and which these performers happily sacrifice in pursuit of the highest possible BPM.

I am NOT saying don't play anything at a high BPM. Lots of tunes make ample room for high speed. Woodchoppers Reel, for just one example, tends to fly when its played at a fast tempo.

I recommend taking a listen to The Salvation by Eric Eid-Reiner which has an inspired piano rhythm that could have been borrowed from Steely Dan, and which plays well off the "one" and which pushes that snakiness to its fullest.

One other comment that will win me no fans. I sometimes wonder if most bluegrass players and their fans treat speed as the only valid measure of their own virtuosity. That same virtuosity of speed seems to be the only thing that differentiates the pros from everybody else who plays those same tunes. When speed is the main thing going on at a concert, the musicians also seem to be saying: to hell with the idea of presenting each tune's innate musical qualities.

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

One other comment that will win me no fans. I sometimes wonder if most bluegrass players and their fans treat speed as the only valid measure of their own virtuosity. That same virtuosity of speed seems to be the only thing that differentiates the pros from everybody else who plays those same tunes. When speed is the main thing going on at a concert, the musicians also seem to be saying: to hell with the idea of presenting each tune's innate musical qualities.
    Actually the amazing players I know sound much slower than they appear. Maybe it is that they are completely relaxed in their execution. Thile is one, of course and Reischman, Grisman as well. I also saw Carlo Aonzo recently and he falls into that category.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:

Actually, I totally agree with you. These great players players never rush it at any speed, which is one of the things I suppose makes them great. They have mastered the ability to relax into whatever speed they seek to play, and without pushing the envelope to the extent of slurring, if not eliminating, the optimum expression of any tune.

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)