Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2348697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2155

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

After meeting David Mold to give his Silverangel a try, I watched a couple of his YouTube videos I fell in love with the tune Liza Jane. Many thanks to Barron Collins-Hill and Mandolessons for his lesson on this tune.

David's version:
    https://youtu.be/oNovt-Re6hM

Good stuff for sure!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Thanks Jim Garber for the extra info. Here’s my own take. The original tune was entitled Going to the Freestate, in the key of C, likely composed either by a slave or someone in sympathy with slaves, and given a title that evokes a free state where a slave would be a free man. But the tune was gorgeous, with a nice snap for dancing, and so it lasted, and was picked up by a white string band in the Deep South sometime in the 1920s to play dances where the quickstep was becoming popular. Obviously they wouldn’t play a tune entitled Going to the Freestate, so they simplified it, changed the name to Avalon Quickstep, and changed the key to D.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Cold Frosty Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    My fiddle player also knows this tune as Avalon Quickstep. To confuse the issue more, there's a completely different tune named Gone to the Freestate.
    Oh, we can confuse it more than that. There is a tune called "Going to the Free State" by John Ashby and the Free State Ramblers:
    https://fieldrecorder.bandcamp.com/t...the-free-state

In that recording he says he wrote it. The Free State in this context is part of central Virginia. The story I heard is that when John Marshall bought the land, the tenants figured they had never agreed to pay him rent, and so declared themselves a "Free State." You get there by taking exit 27 off of Interstate 66, and head south on the Free State Road.

John Hartford's "Homer the Roamer"

Working on Tomahawk I think by Tommy Jackson. Mostly playing on fiddle since it is a great dance tune and I have a square dance gig coming up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Off to California and San Antonio Rose !

"Western Country", a fiddle tune I will be re-learning after having not played it for a bunch of decades. I wrote my own arrangement in MuseScore (video below), to give me something to follow along with while trying to relearn to play it. Not yet tested on actual instruments - I wrote the guitar part for a standard-tuned 6-string guitar, but I don't currently own such a guitar (both my guitars are permanently tuned in 5ths like a mandolin but an octave lower, imagine that! lol). My arrangement also has an oldtime banjo part, but I don't have a functional banjo right now either (I bought a cheap new low-quality banjo earlier this year, it needs the frets leveled before I can seriously play the silly thing, haven't got around to it yet). Although the banjo part I wrote here is the way I remember playing it when much younger.

The chords are intentionally wild, I like them that way, IMO it more closely matches the hard-to-define oldtime banjo harmonies I was accustomed to hearing with this sort of tune.

MIDI playback of my MuseScore arrangement:

(or direct link to video)

It's intentionally slower and bouncier ("swing" rhythm) compared to how I started out playing fiddle tunes. I used to have a bad habit of sometimes tearing through tunes at warp 10 with probably insufficient attention to detail, but my new 'thing' is to slow down a little and work on details. When I get around to actually playing this tune on real instruments, I will likely play it at about the same speed as in the video, instead of a faster speed that's probably more common.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a "low D whistle" to play the basic melody on... I'm already ok with the required "piper's grip" on such instruments, so it might be something that would work for this tune. I've wanted a new low-pitched wind instrument for a few years now, and this might be as good an excuse as any to acquire one.

This tune also goes by other names. As far as I can tell, "Western Country", and "Susanna Gal", and "Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss" are all the same melody. The latter was a MandolinCafe Song-a-Week tune in August 2018.

P.S.: This writing down of multi-part arrangements prior to playing them, is something new that I've been exploring the last year or so. I never used to do that, I used to just keep playing until I had the sound I wanted. The only time I used to write things down was if someone asked me for notation or tab on how to play something, or if I wanted a reference for my own uses so I wouldn't forget how tunes started out. I like to experiment with new things, and this written-arrangement stuff is still somewhat of a novelty for me, and kind of fun to tinker with as well.

Those chords sound very much what a contradance pianist might do on this tune. The arrangement sounds pretty good and I like the swing feel. Of course, the midi makes me feel like I am on a carousel.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Those chords sound very much what a contradance pianist might do on this tune. The arrangement sounds pretty good and I like the swing feel. Of course, the midi makes me feel like I am on a carousel.
    Thanks Jim!

Yeah the MIDI sound quality is not exactly optimal. I'm still in the process of getting used to it.

A while back, I did install an optional free soundfont which adds a bunch more 'instrument' choices, in addition to the default MuseScore soundfont, but it's kinda like cable TV - it gives a person a lot more options but it also takes a lot longer to scroll through all of 'em, only to determine that all the choices still kinda suck in different ways.

Blog Entries

Billy in the Lowground is my most recent one...
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

The Salvation. I'm not sure of its origin. lots of room for adding filagree.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Cincinnati Rag. The relentless circle of fifths allows for some serious improv.

The Salvation. I'm not sure of its origin. lots of room for adding filagree.
    I always like your taste in tunes. Got a source for the dots or video or sound file?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

My wife Katy learned The Salvation first on frailing banjo. Sounds great on banjo. Then i got onboard, putting in the Amazing Slow Downer and adding a bit more old time drive and less Celtic push. The tune is a shape shifter. There's another version on Youtube that reminds me of ska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTh9RDId1No

i tried putting the web address into the youtube tag, but it didn't show up. The tag must be different than the address.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

last night I picked up my mandolin and played a few old chestnuts - stuff I often use for warm up. Then my fingers started playing some melody I just had up there in storage. Something I hadn't played for likely 10 years. Just out from the ether. I enjoyed playing it, but couldn't recall where, when or how I learned it. I had that feeling it wasn't a jam tune. Later on I then realized I was playing, "Twinkle Little Star," which is sort of a Texas fiddle tune.

I need to really relearn that melody! It's one of those all 4 strings and the full first position tunes.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

My wife Katy learned The Salvation first on frailing banjo. Sounds great on banjo. Then i got onboard, putting in the Amazing Slow Downer and adding a bit more old time drive and less Celtic push. The tune is a shape shifter. There's another version on Youtube that reminds me of ska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTh9RDId1No

i tried putting the web address into the youtube tag, but it didn't show up. The tag must be different than the address.
    Thanks, Jim. I always like your taste in tunes. That is a great version but it might be a bit difficult to get that snakiness on the mandolin, fun, though, to try. I did find the tune on The Session.

Actually according to the notes on The Session it is a composed tune from the Orkney Islands near Scotland. Here's a rollicking version starting at around 2:15.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I always like your taste in tunes. That is a great version but it might be a bit difficult to get that snakiness on the mandolin, fun, though, to try. I did find the tune on The Session.

Actually according to the notes on The Session it is a composed tune from the Orkney Islands near Scotland. Here's a rollicking version starting at around 2:15.
    Thanks Jim. Actually, this video reaffirms my own sense that each tune sound best when performed with respect to its own innate tempo. I've never been a big fan of musicians who push the speed of tunes to express their own prowess. In this tune, it is the snakiness you mention, that elevates it above the mechanical repetition on display here, and which these performers happily sacrifice in pursuit of the highest possible BPM.

I am NOT saying don't play anything at a high BPM. Lots of tunes make ample room for high speed. Woodchoppers Reel, for just one example, tends to fly when its played at a fast tempo.

I recommend taking a listen to The Salvation by Eric Eid-Reiner which has an inspired piano rhythm that could have been borrowed from Steely Dan, and which plays well off the "one" and which pushes that snakiness to its fullest.

One other comment that will win me no fans. I sometimes wonder if most bluegrass players and their fans treat speed as the only valid measure of their own virtuosity. That same virtuosity of speed seems to be the only thing that differentiates the pros from everybody else who plays those same tunes. When speed is the main thing going on at a concert, the musicians also seem to be saying: to hell with the idea of presenting each tune's innate musical qualities.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

Lappy 

One other comment that will win me no fans. I sometimes wonder if most bluegrass players and their fans treat speed as the only valid measure of their own virtuosity. That same virtuosity of speed seems to be the only thing that differentiates the pros from everybody else who plays those same tunes. When speed is the main thing going on at a concert, the musicians also seem to be saying: to hell with the idea of presenting each tune's innate musical qualities.
    Actually the amazing players I know sound much slower than they appear. Maybe it is that they are completely relaxed in their execution. Thile is one, of course and Reischman, Grisman as well. I also saw Carlo Aonzo recently and he falls into that category.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Actually, I totally agree with you. These great players players never rush it at any speed, which is one of the things I suppose makes them great. They have mastered the ability to relax into whatever speed they seek to play, and without pushing the envelope to the extent of slurring, if not eliminating, the optimum expression of any tune.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Sweet Nell
    Setauket

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

After posting a video of Carl Jones playing "oldtime pigeon on the gate" in another thread, I was so taken by it that it is my next tune to learn. It's a D tune with a C chord (gotta love those) and is just a little crooked.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Finally got Back Up And Push down.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    After posting a video of Carl Jones playing "oldtime pigeon on the gate" in another thread, I was so taken by it that it is my next tune to learn. It's a D tune with a C chord (gotta love those) and is just a little crooked.
    One of my long time favorites in sub-genre (D tune with C chords) is pretty close to John Summers' Dusty Miller. No relation to the other Dusty Millers, though. I think I originally learned it from one of the Fuzzy Mountain String Band LPs. They probably learned it from John Summers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Woodchoppers Breakdown !