Thread: Mandobird strings

The strings that came on my 'bird left something to be desired. #I looked around and finally bought a set (2 actually) from jazzmando.com

I had the guitar tech install them and work on some issues I had with the stock nut setup.

The 'bird was transformed!! #The new strings are flatwound, a lower tension, and sound very nice both amplified and strumming unplugged.

Flatwounds are considered jazz strings, but try them and you may never go back.

This is a 'before' pic.

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Sure is a purty thing. Lovum.

I like flatwounds too, I use them on my homemade bass, so comfy and a nice clean sound. Haven't tried them on anything else yet.

"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

what guage are they?

I'm enjoying my mandobird too but I think I want to go to a higher string tension, not lower. I find that with light strings my fingers tend to bend the pairs together and make them go out of tune when there together. I find it particularly aparent on bar chords. I'm very sensitive to it and its rather annoying.

Anyone else find they have this probelem? I dont seem to have it on my acoustic with J-74s
    Gotta start sometime, might as well be now...

JM11 sets have an .011" E so the tension on that one should be the same, as the J74, which also uses an .011"..
    {{if the scale length is the same}}
    Average may go down a bit on the total tension if the lower strings can get a good tone at a lower tension,
    but thats the nature of taking averages.

Oh I see another 10 set , that should be fine , you got the amp to do the work don't have to whack it so hard for volume.

all else , break up the set, plain steel strings are just the same,
    its only the diameter that is different.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (UnityGain @ Aug. 26 2008, 14:23)
    what guage are they?
    Joel, thanks for the kind words. These sets have been a long time coming; I'm glad to hear them spoken of favorably! One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is with flatwounds, thinner does not necessarily equate lower tension.

More specs: JM10B.

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I've been kinda wanting this thing for a while now, any reviews you have so far? I've been doing research on it and such, but I'd like to hear some honest thoughts from people who have bought it

Would you recommend it to someone else?

Thanks Ahead of Time!
    # # # # # # # # # # # #~Henry
    ~Henry Clark

If you want higher tension, the Emando.com Normal set is .040 .026 .015 .011 -- same as J74s.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Aug. 27 2008, 03:11)
    If you want higher tension, the Emando.com Normal set is .040 .026 .015 .011 -- same as J74s.
    sorry to hijack this thread but, how do you think those would react with an electric? In terms of tone, volume and sustain? Are ligher guage strings standard on electrics because they are esier on the fingers or is there some other arcane reason? I know it makes for easier bends but since I play I'm looking to make bends harder so the pairs dont accidently get bent off pitch with eachother. oh heck, I should just order some strings and figure it out myself...

windings would need be magnetic sensed too , steel always is, bronze isnt ,
    alloys that contain iron will be.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I put some Jazz Mandola flatwounds a my Emandola after struggling w/ standard steel and nickle strings and guages... These are a perfect fit and feel. Good stuff!

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Hi Unity - I may be able to field some of the questions about electric guitar strings. Lighter sets tend to be put on electric guitars to make them easier to play higher up the neck & to facilitate string bending: bending up to a minor third is common lead playing technique. To facilitate this the G string tends to be plain rather than wound.

I have only been playing mandolin about 18 months now, but it sounds to me that you are applying too much sideways pressure, rather than directly downwards on to the fret board. In my own conversion from guitar to mandolin I found it easier to double stop using my finger tips rather than barre with my first finger as I would with the guitar, & I rarely apply a full barre to mandolin (or the more widely strung "mandola" I now also play). Control of sideways pressure on strings is fairly important as it is your means of bending notes in pitch & one very effective way of imparting vibrato (& I fear I use sideways vibrato on violin, which is hardly text book!).

Anyway, no doubt other members will post with their thoughts on this, but from what you have said, I am not sure your difficulties are entirely down to the string gauges.

Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

I've been playing mando for a while and I agree, technique is an element. But I dont have this issue on my acoustic, only the electric. I also often use full bar chords since I play mostly rythum and I like having as many chord voicings as possible to rotate through. Now that I think of it, I think its only really a problem with funky chords, since sometimes when I let it ring I go, "whoa thats outta tune!!!" Electric mandolin still seems uncharted territory though, with a lot less hard and fast rules than acoustic, curious whats out there.

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Just a suggestion - are the neck profiles different between the two mandos you have? Pressure from your thumb on the side of the neck may be causing your forefinger to slide (Newtons third rule & all that!).
    Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

Quote Originally Posted by (UnityGain @ Aug. 26 2008, 15:23)
    what guage are they?

I'm enjoying my mandobird too but I think I want to go to a higher string tension, not lower. I find that with light strings my fingers tend to bend the pairs together and make them go out of tune when there together. #I find it particularly aparent on bar chords. #I'm very sensitive to it and its rather annoying.

Anyone else find they have this probelem? #I dont seem to have it on my acoustic with J-74s
    My Mandobird had some significant issues with an improperly set up nut. #The strings buzzed, and were out of tune when fretted.

Jake, the tech at Bailey Bros, did all of the work gratis (I've purchased a number of items from them over the years). #

I am seriously impressed with the string set from jazzmando. #Slides are easier, tone is very good, and they feel silky smooth.

I have had a few Emandos over the years. I have a four string "V" that I built, an eight string semi solidbody (also I built) and a solid KENT mandola. I figured out pretty quick that whatever the string sets were for the eight string, if any bending was gonna happen, the strings would go out of tune with each other. Just plain physics . So that's what I use the four string for. Just to be clear on all three, I use med guage strings on all of them. So 11 to 39, or 40. It makes my ' small desk clerk type mind" have to think less...Kerry K

Default Re: Mandobird strings

I use nickle-plated strings on my 'bird. Supposed to be "picked-up" better....pun intended.