Thread: Mandobird neck life...

Hi--

Just got a Mandobird IV off the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and am having a lot of fun both playing it and playing with it (setup, etc). #Fortunately the bridge was correctly placed and the high E issue really isn't one at the moment, so I've basically just been working on the nut, tweaking bridge height, etc...all reasonable stuff, and I'm very pleased overall.

The question: #given the lack of a truss rod or reinforcement in the neck, have any of you guys with more seasoned Birds run into issues down the line? #Should I consider tuning down a 1/2 step, or is it really not an issue even tuned to pitch given the electric strings and the fact there're only 4? #Since I paid a very reasonable price, even if the neck does warp somewhere down the line I think I've already gotten my money's worth, but was just curious.

Thanks for your advice/replies!

Chuck

Anyone electric players out there this weekend? Probably all playing, which is what I should be doing now...
    Chuck

IIRC the earliest (Indonesian?) ones had some warpage issues. IOW nothing a truss rod would have helped. If your 'bird is of later vintage (China) you should be just fine. I actually have two of these, and neither have neck problems.

I keep one in mandola tuning, but just for musical reasons, not out of string tension fears.

No, there is nothing preventative you can do other than take proper care of it. It will do what it wants to do on its own and if it decides to bow or warp then worry about it.

Thanks, guys. Mine is an Indonesian model but at present has no major issues. I may try mandola tuning for fun, anyway, and just leave it there and tune up to GDAE when the mood calls for it...

Despite some of the horror stories I've heard on these, I'm actually really happy with mine so far. It's certainly not a Mann, Schwab, etc, but for what it is and the price I really can't complain!
    Chuck

Ive Got a couple 14" scale 4 string 'Dola setups, .050" C, Shift the other 3 , and lose the E is what works fine,
    but then you can't just crank everything tighter for GDAE.

dropping to FCGD is more practical , then your C stuff is in Bb.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture