Thread: First little amp

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

Well now that I have my emando (which I have to say I am very happy with), I guess that the next thing I need / want is an amp. As I have given up, long ago, any illusions of ever playing to packed crowds and screaming groupies I feel a small amp will be more than enough.

I was kind of thinking about a Pignose Original or one of the combo/modeling amps made by Vox, Crate, Roland or Line 6. As it stands right now I seem to be leaning towards the Line6 Micro Spider

As this will be only used for messing around, the different effects and sounds are very appealing as is the option of battery power.

Any thoughts or experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

I did try the search fuction, but did not really find the information I was looking for.

Thanking you in advance.
    "I'm not a loser. The fact that I didn't put a gun in my mouth years ago - that little fact makes me a winner, baby. (Al Bundy)"

When I plug in I use this amp. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product....=489052 I bought it about 7 or 8 years ago and this thing screams. Its all Tube powered so you get the nice fat tone, and has plenty of power for being as small as it is. All around great amp.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

I'm partial to tubes myself, but that little Micro Spider looks pretty cool. Makes want to get a multi-effects pedal now...LOL.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

that micro spider looks pretty cool, especially if you need battery power. but if you could live without the batteries, the line 6 spider 15w will give you more amp for less money. the "crunch" presetting is nice for a litle grit and the "insane" and such are good for a laugh. I've got one for messing around and it's a lot of fun. I doubt there's much better bang for the buck for what you seem to be wanting.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

Probably owe it to yourself to try the Roland Cube - Comes in 15, 20, 30, 60 watt varieties.

I bought the Line6 15w Spider for my grandson and it's a great little amp. Can't go wrong for the money.

I have a Pig Nose amp (smaller than the one previously listed), and it has a re-chargable battery, so you don't need to replace batteries, and you can play it anywhere. It has decent sound for a small amp, and cost about $140. I think I got it from Elderly Inst. It's very cool.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

I use a roland cube, and a mike from a stage amp if I need more power in front of the cube but if the group is 15 or less the cube is ampel
    fred davis

My son has a Roland MicroCube that he uses as a practice amp... great sound, built like a tank, and battery powered if he wants to use it.
    Big Muddy M-0W, AlanZ/DonK built Octave #1, Ovation MCS148, Martin Backpacker

I have a Roland Micro Cube that I use with my Eastwood Mandocaster and I love it
    I also have a Behringer amp that is for acoustic-electric for when I get or make one of those. It has a socket for a mic so I can use it for just that if I want.
    Mastercraft Mountaineer Deluxe
    Morgan Monroe MF-6
    Eastwood Guitars Mandocaster
    Kentucky KM-172
    Gold Tone Mandobanjo-850
    Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom A/E In Satin Finish

I recently got a Fender Champion 600 to use while staying at my mother's house for the summer as my 160 watt vintage Peavey Mace would not be practical. The Fender has a great tone and feels best to me with a tube screamer and a compressor in front of it. It is not the most versatile amp so if you are looking at modeling amps it might not be best for you. The fender does react well to pedals for other tones though.

I had the Fender Champ 600 for about 2 or 3 days before sending it back. I loved the distorted tones it put out, but the clean tone was just a little too quiet. It definitely works for getting that Keith Richards tone at a lower volume.

I ended up getting a Peavey Valve King Royal 8. It's got a master volume control, so I can dial in the amount of gain I want and then adjust the overall volume. I'm mainly looking for a jazz tone and it's suitable for that.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I just bought a Trace Acoustic 50 watt amp used. My goal is more toward guitar, but this thing is about the size of a breadbox and is two channels. Line one can take either an active or passive pickup also.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I'm presently doing the same search and have been wandering off to guitar forums to eavesdrop (scary stuff over there . #I've heard good things about the Roland Cube (20W apparently gives you better distortion at lower volume levels than the 30W), Traynor Dynacirc series (which got better reviews than the Roland and Line 6s on a couple of boards), and mixed reviews on the Spiders. #It seems that those who mainly want to play with the modeling features love the Spiders, but those who were hoping for "vintage tone" plus FX were disappointed.

I played a 5W Epiphone Jr. 1/2 stack this weekend...great tube tone and plenty of volume, but very bear bones (ie, no FX whatsoever). #The combo of the the same model was similar but with a little less volume.

I'm going to try to go play a Vox combo hybrid tomorrow or Tuesday, and hopefully a used Marshall MG 50W for similar money...if anything really jumps out at me I'll let you know, but I'm very new to the electric side of things (just got my Mandobird last week) which limits my ability to really test drive this equipment. #I suspect that any of the amps you mentioned would be fine for what you want (and, ultimately, what I want), but I think I'm getting someone who really knows what they're doing to demo the Line 6s for me (hopefully this week as well) just b/c of some of the reviews I read.

Chuck

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

Thank you all for your help on this matter.

I have pretty well decided on the Micro Spider, but do to a small problem that has just come up, I may have to postpone the purchase for a while.

Thanks again.
    "I'm not a loser. The fact that I didn't put a gun in my mouth years ago - that little fact makes me a winner, baby. (Al Bundy)"