Thread: to pickup or not

Unhappy

I have recently began to play my mandolin(non electric) at church where I amplify it using a microphone. This is a horribly annoying ordeal because I play as I sing which requires the use of two microphones. This being the case I have begun to consider buying a pickup for mandolin and I need guidance. I have looked on the internet, although not extensively, for a pick up and I have found them ranging in price from 60 dollars all the way up to the hundreds but needless to say 60 dollars is still to expensive for me at this moment. Some of the pickups I saw cost as much as my mandolin which was very affordable.I am wondering if I should wait and buy an acoustic electric mandolin or if there is a suitable pick up I could buy for around 30 dollars? I don't know alot about this issue so I could use all the friendly feedback and advise I can get.
    Thanks
    Derrick
    Derrick R Clark

you can get a stick on pick up. i have used the woodpicker which was quite servicable.

I went to Guitar Center and tried a Dean Markley stick on pickup on my KM-700. Terrific sound for $45. Try it out (stick it on below the bridge in the middle)!

Solder ? Musix cub disc w crystal piezo $5 , add shielded wire and a plug.
    I put a layer of epoxy on top and a little hotmelt glue for a short cord stickon.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

K & K Bigshot transducer. #All right for $29 you got to know where to place it though I would say in front of the bridge right smack dab in the middle I placed it to the side of the bridge and that wasn't that great.

I've been using a Dean Markley Artist stick-on placed to the right of the f hole (1st string side) then to a Crate amp, then to the mixer. I've tried several pick-ups (bridge and internal) and this is the best at duplicating the true sound of my instrument. This week I had my tech man mount this pick-up in the same location on the inside of the instrument. I get it back Friday just in time to play a gig. I'm sure hoping to get the same sound with no surprises.

Katmando3........let me know how the internal mount works out, thinking of doing the same thing. What mando are you putting it on?

Mando-in-Kingwood . . . It's being installed in my Rose Mando. He had to reduce the size of the maple jacket on the pickup to make it fit thru the sound hole. He has to use epoxy to make it stick instead of the stuff that comes with the pickup since that stuff doesn't seem to want to stick to unfinished wood. If it works I'm going to do the same thing on my second Rose which is due here tomorrow.

Ok . . . . tried the mando plugged in last night with the Dean Markley installed inside with an endpin jack. I'm not sure yet what I think. The humidity here last night (Florida) was extremely heavy so I always feel that has an effect on the sound. But I know I am not thrilled as yet with what I've got. Kinda sounds cave-like and it wants to pick up every sound just from handling the instrument. I think my search for the perfect pickup situation for me is going to continue. Bummer . . . . .

The "horribly annoying ordeal" probably sounds better than any pickup out there.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

Katmando3........did epoxy rather than putty make a difference? Acoustic vibration properties of the 2 materials are pretty different.

mando-in-kingwood . . you have just solved a huge dilemma for me . . . thank you. As of my last report about Friday's test, I wasn't thrilled with what was happening soundwise but it was acceptable. Then . . Saturday I looked at my instrument . . and . . for a new test, the pickup had fallen off from it's inside position. So, back to the tech guy who put it back in place with glue of some sort. (Unremovable without problems because we didn't know what else to use) and the sound was horrible. Couldn't hear my amp/monitor because the sound was so muted. So you may have hit the mando on the head about the glue . . . because that's the only difference. Thank you.

Thank you for all your responses. I am looking at purchasing The Dean Markley but right now, seeing as I am dirt poor, i am using a Drum trigger. It isn't the worst sound in the world and it was cheap. And yes of course getting the blasted thing stuck on the mandolin is a pain. I used tape but in the middle of the service it wanted to fall off but God is good and music is a joy so finding a solution will only require a little creativity.
    Derrick R Clark

There is a clip on boom, that allows a 2nd Mic to be mounted on one mic stand, local band uses long flexible gooseneck mount for the vocals mic, and mid mount boom for instrument mic, one per player. not too much to manage, you have the mics already.

one source, www.partsexpress.com about $11.00

RE stick on pickup, try the bluetack putty for bulletin boards, office stuff. no residue.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've never liked the idea of sticking something sticky on my mando, it just seems your mando top finish will get funny. One thing you have to remember is the transducer will also transmit bumps and knocks on your mando. It seems a mic system would be a good setup in a church setting. I'd go with getting a goose neck. Although it also the mic you are using will make a difference. I think the Shure 57 can be used for either vocals or intrument.
    Hubert