Thread: Bit hard

Blog Entries

I've been backing a friend in recent rehearsals for a performance that occurred last night. I play a little guitar (he can handle that for himself mostly), some regular mando, and some electric mando. On the tunes where I get to play electric, I've been really loving the freedom to wail away like I always wanted to do as kid playing electric guitar.

So last night we gigged and I got a chance to be a rock n' roll hot shot.

I ran my 'dola tuned Mandobird through a Boss overdrive pedal and into a Ampeg J12T. Gave myself about 40% reverb and controlled the volume of the mando with the mando's volume pot. Kind of a Santana meets Neil Young tone.

The more I get to play the 'bird, the more I like playing electric, the more I realize I really want a 5 string!

Suggestions?
    Daniel

So....... your ears are bleeding?

Price range?,
    Have a look at the "eye candy" section, and the electric sub section within that, see what strikes your fancy.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm really digging the low C on my EM-5. It brings a whole new dimension to chords and rhythm playing. It takes a little while for my ears to adjust to the 4 string when I switch back. I'm still getting used to the EM-5 but it's coming along nicely. I'm also still playing with different string types. So far I've tried D'Addario EXL110s and their flatwound Chromes equivalent. Very similar except the flats take just a bit of the zing off. Next up are a "normal" set from emando.com.

Nothing but rave reviews for Jon Mann's work.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (SternART @ June 16 2008, 10:59)
    So....... your ears are bleeding?
    Nope, ears are fine despite the tinnitus.

Price range?
    hmmm....
    South of $1000 definitely. But the ceiling will depend upon some x-factors. So lets just say under a grand.

Charlie, I can't live on the emando without a low C. There's just something about not having it that makes me feel like I'm missing too much by choosing a mando over a guitar. With the low C, I can get enough of the guitar range, that I feel better about using the mando.

Are you set up with a 14.5" scale length? If so, was it a difficult transition?

Thanks all,
    Daniel

The 14.5" scale took a little getting used to. That being said, I think I've adjusted. For grabbing chords I find it easier (excluding a bluegrass chop chord, which ain't no part of nothing on an emando).

If you're looking for a non-custom instrument check out Blue Star. Elderly sells them and they seem to be a good value in the under $1000 emando market. I'm not sure what Jermans go for, but they might be in the ballpark. Here's a pic of Blue Star model I like.

Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I have 2 - 4 string E mandos and restrung them as Dola C G D A.

I favor a Warm-Jazzy tone rather than going for the Country-Rock sound, but a multi-effects pedal
    will do a vast variety of tone blends ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I like multi-effects pedals in theory better than I like to use them. I hate punching buttons in order to play an instrument, even if the buttons are accessories. It must be related to the fact that I work with computers and hate to work away from the office.

Anyway, I prefer simple signal paths and analog controls. I'm sticking with my Boss Overdive pedal, and I may replace my DOD Stereo Chorus/Flanger for something newer and more reliable --but it'll have to have analog controls.

Yes, I like warm and fuzzy tones too. But I want them to break up and crash when I push them hard. Favorite amplified sound I ever made myself was a created by running an Ovation guitar through a MXR distortion pedal and then an overdrive pedal before going into a '65 Bandmaster head running a '67 Bandmaster 2x12 cabinet. Giant fuzzy crashes. Big fat tones Neil Young would have enjoyed.

Daniel

Dan,

I work with computers myself and I think the logic of the mandolin is one of the factors in my obsession

I've been tempted by the multi-effect devices myself. Some of them have actual knobs, which makes them more appealing. For example, I was looking st the Digitech RP500:
    now.

My fear is that I'll live to tweak it instead of living to use it.

Right now, I've got a Holy Grail Plus reverb pedal and that's enough for now.

Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural