Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I get so tired of people "bumping" classifieds

I am so sick of the tiresome practice of some sellers constantly removing and resubmitting their ads so that they'll show up on top of the list. It's a self-perpetuating problem....the more people do it, the more people think they MUST do it to get attention.

If I see Doug Bates from Lighthouse, Florida's Stanley V5 ad bumped again I think I'll scream.

Am I alone here?
    Passernig #42

From the classifieds posting guidelines:

Unless your product is successfully sold or traded, you should allow the ad to auto-expire at the end of 21 days (the minimum ad length) or more before resubmitting. The practice of "bumping" an ad to the top by deleting and resubmitting it is not permitted.

If indeed it's happening it will be checked out.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I don't see a problem with a few bumps. But after a year it does get old. Say you are on vacation and you missed seeing the ads for a week. Bumping one up for faster review makes sense. If you post your ad here, then do at ebay, then do it on craigslist, then do it at BU magazine and then come back here again and it's still not sold..... it's time to lower the price.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ June 10 2008, 21:58)
    If you post your ad here, then do at ebay, then do it on craigslist, then do it at BU magazine and then come back here again and it's still not sold..... it's time to lower the price.
    AMEN!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Apparently, like me, Crowder, you read the classifieds every day.

I also check in at CNN, The NYTimes, BBC, Washington Post, Time and more. #
    Many of them repeat stories, sometimes in thinly disguised 'new' headlines.

At least there's substance behind a classified ad...

May you find patience, relief, or both.

All the best,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I read 'em every day too ... Cross-posting with eBay is not allowed. I see this rule broken frequently, but I'm sure Scott has better things to do than search eBay for instruments that were also posted at the Cafe.

My impression is that bumping can be allowed if the offer has changed in some substantial way. I can think of one instrument that has been offered with different cases, at different prices, on different terms (sale vs. trade), etc. Whether these changes are "substantial" is obviously a judgment call; thank goodness it is not MY judgment call.

I used to do the bump until the 21-day rule was passed. Believe me, it was much worse back then.

One's ad does get a lot of exposure just after it's listed, but I've sold things and/or gotten inquiries off ads of all ages. If your ad is "buried" a little deeper, the people who do contact you will tend to be the more motivated ones, since they had to search to find your ad.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I kind of find this annoying as well. However, what irritates me more is when you see someone selling something used for more than the item would cost brand new. The Ellis currently in the classifieds comes to mind. Rant over.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Dang! What a good idea. I didn't realize that you could even do that. Excuse me, I have to go visit my classified ad...............
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Quote Originally Posted by (Crowder @ June 10 2008, 21:47)
    I am so sick of the tiresome practice of some sellers constantly removing and resubmitting their ads so that they'll show up on top of the list. It's a self-perpetuating problem....the more people do it, the more people think they MUST do it to get attention.

If I see Doug Bates from Lighthouse, Florida's Stanley V5 ad bumped again I think I'll scream.

Am I alone here?
    I'm with you. If I see that same Stanley bumped again I'm gonna scream. What's worse is he was trying to trade me straight across for my Ellis when I was selling that over a month ago. THe Stanley has been listed for as much as 8k to as little as $4,999. I was asking over 12k. Sorry if I seem mean spirited about this but the bumping is getting old. Chris, sometimes listing stuff a little high happens as nearly everyone dickers down the price so a little padding is the norm unless of course it says; firm obo, which I've also witnessed.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I understand wanting to get as much as you can when selling, but something about listing used for more than new costs just rubs me the wrong way. I understand padding the price a bit, but I find it a bit insulting when taken overboard.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Isn't that somewhat to be expected with builders that have become very prestigious, with long waiting lists? MAS being what it is, I think it might be tempting to try to make a profit after enduring the long build time. I'm sure there are folks who would pay more for a Gilchrist, Ellis, Dudenbostel, etc. now, rather than get it cheaper in three years. I don't know if I'll ever have the bucks for this to be a personal topic, but you never know...

I agree with the "no bump" rule, even if it's unwritten. It's like cutting to the front of a line. It's obnoxious.

Disclaimer: No financial interest....

Quote Originally Posted by
    I kind of find this annoying as well. However, what irritates me more is when you see someone selling something used for more than the item would cost brand new. The Ellis currently in the classifieds comes to mind. Rant over.
    I may be missing something but don't see the Ellis being overpriced -especially with a Paganoni case. Does anyone know if this is one of the Ellis "special" mandolins with the upgrades in binding, etc? I see the headstock overlay is of the upgrade fashion. Anyway, just my $0.02 worth as a fellow Cafe freak I am in agreement with everyone on the bumping -FWIW of course. That is more $0.05 worth

The no bump rule is written. It is a rule. As for posting an ad here and on eBay when we find them they are removed. Feel free to let any of the moderators know if you see an item listed on eBay and here and please include the eBay link or item number. The classifieds are a wonderful resource for buyers and sellers here and Scott created the guidelines for a reason.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

The "bumping" rule actually is written. But selling something "used" for a higher price than "new".... Probably guys like Steve Gilchrist should be the ones upset when their work sells for a higher price on the secondary market than what they just sold an instrument for new. But, that's really simple econ 101, supply and demand.
    Doubtful one will find a less "desireable" used instrument ("mass" produced) selling for more than it would new. If I see a used Eastman in the classifieds at the same price as a new one, I just smile knowing that the seller will likely have to relist at 300-500 lower in a few weeks. No knock on Eastmans - There are several models that really intrigue me - just an example.

Another odd thing is people listing used mandolins as new because they are in mint condition. Oh well. We can work our way around that.

It occurs to me that the tail end of the used list might be the place to look for mandolins with owners who are desperate to make a deal, whereas the ones at the top of the list might be less interested in accepting a lower offer. A lot of us never look that far down on the list, but there can be some very nice mandolins down there that just didn't catch the attention of the right people on the couple days they were at the top of the list.

BlueMountain,

I actually enjoy going to the end of the list and working back for some strange / weird reason. I have not in particular found folks ready and willing to make much of any, if at all any better deal just because the item has been up for sale a while --YMMV of course.

My experience has been that stuff is just as likely to sell when it's showing up early or late in the list.

I could be evil and randomize the listings to take away the benefit of a bump
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Now that would be funny.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I noticed that when I got the notice that my ad would expire unless I renewed it, once I did renew it, it stayed in the same position. I figured it would jump to the top with a renewal. I think I'd rather just let it expire and list it again. Dan,I'd say go for it if you can do it and keep the new feature of new listings being the default opening for the classifieds.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Dan,

...now that is something I would think of (but not tell anyone) ....I love it! Certainly levels the playing field doesn't it.

I really like the classified section here and have used it several times. I think folks should honer the guidelines, especially since it is a free service. Folks will price their stuff where they think they need to be. Folks who trade a lot will most likely get close to market values and folks with some attachment will probably price their stuff a little high. On the Stanley....it seems like the price has been adjusted down as it was bumped, but I couldn't swear to it. #I know if I am watching a specific item, I keep track no matter haow far it gets pushed back. The bottom line is, that if an item is priced fairly, it probably won't last long here.

Quote Originally Posted by (BlueMountain @ June 11 2008, 09:24)
    Another odd thing is people listing used mandolins as new because they are in mint condition.
    I agree with this. I hope this is not too off topic. #If you are not a dealer it is not new. There isn't really any #difference except you are most likely not going to back it up as well as a good dealer will and in most cases the warranty card will be void.(Wow run on sentence :.) #
    # # I also find the bumping to be annoying and it seems to be flaring up recently. #I have not been a cafe member very long so I don't have a very good frame of reference, but I didnt notice it untill a couple months ago. #If I am not mistaken posters can modify their original ads to change the price or whatever else or to #mark it as sold or on hold. #I am also an every day classified checker!

I don't get marking an item sold. Delete the ad if you sold the thing.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (danb @ June 11 2008, 07:49)
    I could be evil and randomize the listings to take away the benefit of a bump
    I think that's a good idea, go for it!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"