Thread: Help! question about side crack

Hi Folks,

Sorry for cross posting, but wasn't sure the tenor and builder threads are visited by the same people.

I bought a vintage 1932 Martin 0-18T that arrived yesterday. I have a couple days trial period and need help with the decision.

It has an undisclosed crack on the side that starts at about the waist of the bass side and wraps around the lower bout to the end pin. The crack looks stable and may have been repaired as there's a little overspray and polishing visible.

The tenor sounds really great. It has several cosmetic issues (plugged jack hole, scratches, etc). There's also a small crack on the back that seems stable.

Except for the long crack in the side, all the issues were disclosed.

I've currently paid $2,500 and it's sold on consignment.

My questions:
    - how much would it likely cost for a luthier to put a couple of cleats in to make sure the cracks remain stable?

- would this type of crack drastically impact the value of a "player"? While I figure a '32 Tenor is somewhat collectable, this one is more of a player. No where near mint, but it sounds great.

- would it seem reasonable to further negotiate the price since this crack was undiclosed?

Thanks for the help.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by (ducati08 @ June 04 2008, 07:52)
    - would it seem reasonable to further negotiate the price since this crack was undiclosed?
    Yes!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Glory be, for a player I think you've overpaid by $1,000. Definitely renegotiate that puppy.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ June 06 2008, 15:39)
    Glory be, for a player I think you've overpaid by $1,000. Definitely renegotiate that puppy.
    I'll certainly renegotiate. How did you arrive at the "overpaid by $1,000" amount?
    Don

I've seen them go on eBay for around $1200-$1500. I would expect to pay more going through a dealer, but $2500 for one in 'player' condition seems rather steep. Anyhow, if it sounds great and plays great, it's hard not to bite the bullet.

Still undecided. Negotiating now. It really sounds great, so it's a hard decision. Hopefully he will take some off and we can still strike a deal.
    Don

It seems like tenor guitar prices have jumped way up in the past year (and probably due to interest generated here and other message boards!).