Thread: Four-pole p90 pickup

I've just been browsing the Soares'y site and Ebay shop looking at their acoustic tenor guitars, when I noticed that they sell a rather nifty item: a custom-made four-pole P90 here. I would think this should also work just fine in an e-mando, as an alternative to hot rails or lipstick pickups, or to boutique 4-poles.

As an aside, they also sell Tele-styled four-string solid body tenor guitars, which at a scale of 22.4" you can just as well call electric OMs. See here.

Disclaimer: I've never played or even seen any of their instruments, and have no idea if they're any good.

Martin

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Those things look really, really cool. I'm tempted to buy one and see how it goes from there. I love the idea of playing Neil Young tunes on a tenor with some real snotty P90's!

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I don't think their Tele tenors actually have the P90 in them -- on the photos that looks like a slim Fender-style pickup cover, not wide enough to have a P90 underneath. Of course, you could swap out -- ask Mike Soares, apparently he's really approachable. Given their normal price point, I wouldn't think they break the bank, either.

Martin

ETG 150's do, the arch top F hole tenor guitar cousin in the Gibson Family with the EM 150 mandolins.

winning a pickup on Ebay is no way to fill a build order, though

wonder where the black plastic cover comes from ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Unhappy

Regarding the Tele tenors: 3 left, 2 peach, 1 blue: $400, info as per Mike Soars as at the time of this post.

Oh, & he also said that they were made by Gibson of China '' & no longer being produced. Now were I to aver that Gibson manufactured tenor teles I have this strange intuition I would be rapidly shot down in flames!

Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

I am unable to contact this company. Does anyone have a phone number? When I hit contact us " on their web site, nothing happens.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

The company I'm referring to in the previous post is Soares"y, if that wasn't clear. Thanks in advance.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

The "contact" button links directly to their e-mail address, which is "soaresyguitars@hotmail.com". Alternatively, you should be able to contact them through the Ebay auction linked above.

Martin

Have now been able to contact Soares'y company. I couldn't do it at work, but the contact worked at home fine, and I've already heard back from Mike Soares.

Make that one peach and one blue left. I bit the bullit and ordered a peach tele tenor from Mike. They were just too cool. For $400, I figured it was worth a gamble, and Mike's good reputation figured into the equation. I'll let you know how it plays and sounds when it comes in.

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Please submit your review in due course! Importation from the US & my being in the process of acquiring a Risa caused me to back off, but I sure would like to hear how you get on. Interestingly I did not see Soares'y on the e-mando site builders list, but sure that point will be fielded!

I take back what I earlier posted about Soares'y on the e-mando site: They are listed, but not exactly praised!

Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!