Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uk based builders

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

Thank you for the info, hopefully in time I will build up a little more insight. Such a shame Mr Heron does not do a Dola-blaster (with highish fret wire!). The Risa must be the most aesthetically challenged duckling in the whole stringed instrument pond!
    Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

Aww. I just had a Risa standard-scale mandolin in and out of here ... literally sold it on the classifieds as soon as I got it in. I think they're cute, and the small body makes it quite portable. If people think it looks funny, tell them it's ergonomically engineered.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martin, for 299 Euros you can snap up an 8 string mandolin from the surf shop now (the Risa factory shop outlet, it would appear). Tobacco sunburst model - you may turn a profit! I'm gonna have to wait 6 odd weeks for a tenor. So did the one you sold have the same "mother of toilet-seat" pick-guard design?

No, I don't think I'd be turning a profit if I bought it for that much. I'd have to sell it as a secondhand instrument. Might break even, but then why bother? Anyway, the one I sold was pretty much identical to the one pictured on the Surfer site.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I was pulling your leg slightly (hopefully that expression translates!). I caught up with the thread about the Rikki on e bay (I could somewhat covet that, myself!) & thought that should you need an errand running in the London area I might put my hand up for it, depending on what commitments I have at the time. As regards the Risa I'm thinking about,it appears significantly cheaper via the Ukulele shop & I don't have the hassle of converting Stirling to Euros. As Mr Spock would say "that seems illogical, Captain!"

Just to report for peoples information. The surf shop will set the Risa up as a mandola at the same price in Euros (they will accept US dollars) as advertised as a uke on their site, but the same instrument is advertised at about 15% less (equivalent sterling price) at the ukulele shop. I'll have to wait till the end of June & set it up myself, but it will be an easily earned £50.00 odd! (just hope they suddenly don't up the price on me!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (mandelect @ May 14 2008, 03:19)
    I've only tried CGDA 'dola tuning on the Risa. Rigk set it up that way for a nominal fee - the nut slots needed adjustment to accomodate the tuning.

String gauges are: C = 0.038"w, G = 0.026"w, D = 0.017", A = 0.011"

I've just looked through my files, and I notice that Risa's old webpages mention GDAE (octave mandolin) tuning as a possibility. He suggests the following string gauges:

G = 0.048"w, D = 0.032"w, A = 0.021", E = 0.014"

CGDA works well for me - nice even tone across all the strings, and up the neck. Strat style, adjustable bridge/string saddles, means that intonation is never a problem.
    Thanks, I needed that! I have a 17" scale 6 string that I built from a kit 18 years ago. It is dreadful and has hung on the wall. But my newly aquired Kentucky has inspired me to get fixed up as now I have the skills to do it up right!

I notice mandocruation has a similar set-up and uses a high B. Now what to do with the 6th Bass string? I'm thinking the final tuning would be DGDAEB. That would give the familiar guitar relationship between the D & G correct? Any other thoughts?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'm thinking the final tuning would be DGDAEB. That would give the familiar guitar relationship between the D & G correct? Any other thoughts?
    There are many possible tunings but DGDAEB sounds good to me. I considered a 19" scale length travel guitar with a similar tuning, though I'd probably drop the B to A, giving DGDAEA - just personal preference. I also wonder if a six string with a 17" scale length might suit GCGDAE better, or in my case I'd go for GCGDAD, which keeps the 'dola fifths arrangement on the middle 4 strings only?

...on second thoughts, the top "e" of GCGDAE tuning would probably be unworkable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (mandelect @ May 24 2008, 07:24)
    ...on second thoughts, the top "e" of GCGDAE tuning would probably be unworkable?
    I have tried the traditional 5-string tuning. It is doable but give "cheese slicer" a whole new meaning!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Ok, just to report progress to date: String gauges that I am happiest with for CGDA on the Risa tenor (17" scale) .40,.26,.17,.11. I understand that Risa suggest a .38 but I find that a little too slack & flappy. I did not appreciate that the Risa has a zero fret (I suppose had I looked more closely at the photos I would have spotted it) & I'm having to wind three/four turns onto the C string peg to achieve a decent break angle behind the zero fret. By snipping the C string saddle spring down to 2 turns & inserting a spacer on the adjuster screw (the length of the screw inhibits the distance the saddle can be taken back)I can just about get the C string to intone without any sharpness on the 12th fret. In fairness to Risa the instrument is sold as a uke rather than a mandola, but I think this is towards the edge of its capabilities.

Am I happy with it? yes, although dare I say I regard the Alden as better value for money, & I had to do a fair bit of work on that to sort out the intonation. Why do instrument makers seem to position bridges so that one can easily have the thing play too sharp as one moves up the neck, but rarely too flat? Whilst one is playing, it just needs a bit more pressure on a string or a little bending to bring a slightly under pitched note up to true, but if its too sharp to start off with you can't push it into pitch on the fly!

There are some design aspects of the Risa that seem quite innovative - the sloped neck to body joint gives access to frets that are largely cosmetic on my other mandos because of the amount of heel/body in the way of my hand (mando builders please note!) & others that appeal slightly less (eg the lack of any flair in neck width or string spacing between nut & bridge, the extreme pick-up angle).

One thing I do take back; its not quite the ugliest duckling in the stringed instrument pond. The Mosrite mandolin (picture at Emando.com) has it licked for weird appearance!